Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner with transmission problems.

New owner with transmission problems.

Just got this RS6 with 160,000 miles at an auction. No history to go by so far. When cold it seems to shift OK. After a few miles, when I start to take off, the engine will rev and then the transmission will bang into gear. Shortly thereafter it goes into limp home mode. The only transmission code is P0730 Gear Ratio Monitoring Incorrect Gear Ratio. Engine codes P0501, P1624 and P1455 all intermittent. Also ABS code 00283 for a wheel speed sensor.

Outside this issue the car is very nice. Engine is a blast, body and interior are clean. Is this most likely rebuild time? Should I dump it back at the auction?

Depending what you want for it, you can "dump" it with me and I'll throw a manual in it

Tranny is on it's way out. Just sayin...
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    Depending what you want for it, you can "dump" it with me and I'll throw a manual in it
    Hadn't considered that yet. Something a little north of $10K would do it.

Around $8-10k for trans and labor, manual or auto.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    Just got this RS6 with 160,000 miles at an auction. No history to go by so far. When cold it seems to shift OK. After a few miles, when I start to take off, the engine will rev and then the transmission will bang into gear. Shortly thereafter it goes into limp home mode. The only transmission code is P0730 Gear Ratio Monitoring Incorrect Gear Ratio. Engine codes P0501, P1624 and P1455 all intermittent. Also ABS code 00283 for a wheel speed sensor.

Outside this issue the car is very nice. Engine is a blast, body and interior are clean. Is this most likely rebuild time? Should I dump it back at the auction?
    Rebuild trans or dump it. There's a member here with a transmission and TC attached for sale out of TX with 110k on it, cheap cheap cheap. You could go that route and just do a straight swap, sell your old busted trans for a return core and make up half the cost. I'd be happy to help turn wrenches if you want to go through all that, would be a good learning experience. You supply the space and floor jack, I'll supply the just-past-novice experience. Should be pretty straight-forward, just a fun process of refilling the trans once mounted.

Whereabouts in suburban DC are you? I'm out near the Loudoun/Fairfax border in Sterling. Would be nice to have another Beast-Tamer join the Metro DC area chapter.

Oh, post up last 6 of the VIN, and some details - Exterior color on leather color, interior trim, mods, maybe some pictures?

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I just got the car so I'm going to weigh my options over the next month or two. I'd be a little apprehensive in buying a used transmission without being able to test it while still in the car but that is still an option. Might just detail it and flip at another auction first. Haven't decided. I'll post some pics soon but I have it stored in Fredericksburg VA a hour from home.

Stop driving it...or it will continue to get worse. You can buy another one, build it, put it in, and your "core" is worth about $1000-$1200. Call Sam at 517 Transmission in Jersey, or Tozo here on the forum...

Just had almost identical problem with 70,xxx on it. Car is in at dealer for a new re-built unit from AoA at 8k and approx. 1.5 more for other work...! You are looking at 8-10k for sure. Good Luck. I get mine back in 2 weeks and we should be golden!

How much did you pay at Auction????

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

$100 more than another bidder. Seeing that I may end up reselling it, it wouldn't be in my best interest to reveal that. 5 figures if that satisfies your curiosity a bit.

Sorry did not mean to pry....just curious.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Ouch

You have too much money in it. Sell

$100 more than another bidder. Seeing that I may end up reselling it, it wouldn't be in my best interest to reveal that. 5 figures if that satisfies your curiosity a bit.

If you're not keeping it, probably won't make sense to fix it unless you can get a stupid deal on used parts and labor. Would like to see it get fixed and keep kicking ass, though
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    If you're not keeping it, probably won't make sense to fix it unless you can get a stupid deal on used parts and labor. Would like to see it get fixed and keep kicking ass, though
    Agree on the stupid deal - <$1k for 110k miles used trans and TC, offer of help with labor from locals, and you can sell your busted core. Just saying that's the route I'd go if I needed to, but I don't ever plan on selling the Beast. They'll have to pry the keys from my cold, dead fingers.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

If I had some assurance that tranny was any good I'd be more inclined to go that route but from what I read, ones with even less mileage often break down.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Stop driving it...or it will continue to get worse. You can buy another one, build it, put it in, and your "core" is worth about $1000-$1200. Call Sam at 517 Transmission in Jersey, or Tozo here on the forum...
    Tozo=yes. Seemed like a top notch, honest guy when I talked with him a month ago. Also reasonably priced- way lower the other estimates posted here. I think to pull, rebuild, and reinstall trans was around 5k with a year warranty on a stock tune.

517trans = my recommendation; stay away, unless you like getting ripped off. Ask me how I know.

I am going through exactly what you are contemplating doing but I decided to dive in and do it myself. I'm not going to say what I got mine for but it had a bad tcu and a broken input shaft. Everything else is basically great.

Im installing a manual with stevekens kit, a southbend stage 4 extreme clutch, water meth kit, larger injectors, new larger intercoolers, larger fuel pump, custom tune, sai egr delete, open downpipes, and every single bit of maintenance you can think of. I'll be into it 7500 above what I paid not including my time. If all goes as planned I'll be pretty damn satisfied.

If I had some assurance that tranny was any good I'd be more inclined to go that route but from what I read, ones with even less mileage often break down.

One of the primary and most expensive issues to start with, depending on a few details such as date of manufacture. If you're not into keeping the car I would cut your losses, before more losses...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com