Thread: Dumb Question: Steering, Trim Pieces

Dumb Question: Steering, Trim Pieces

I am doing trim work and I have replaced Audi Part Number 4B2953515C6PS, the upper steering column trim piece. And then DONT KNOCK ME (as I am a purist too) but I am actually repainting some trim pieces (removing stripping and repainting) with this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and believe it or not it is pretty much an exact match; I found out about on Audizine or somewhere.

Well now to my dumb question. What is the first step in removing the steering wheel? Do you just pull off, with force, the center part of the wheel with the emblem, where you push the horn? Bentley manual starts with that not even in the picture. So I assume, but I wanted to make sure, as i want to remove and replace the lower column trim piece too and it looks like I need to remove the wheel right? Just don't want to break anything here by yanking on something that is not a pull off part. Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interior mod pic.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	16298
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

P.S. The only piece I have done with the Krylon so far is the bezel piece (surround trim) for the driver's side window control panel - and it worked really well.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.

Taking it to the top because I'd really like the answer before the weekend, I assume no answers means I just yank on the horn area of the wheel.

Nooooo......on the backside of the wheel are 2 torx 30 screws. Undo those first. Then, unclip the air bag and the small connectors in the back half of the wheel.

next, you will need a triple star #12 bit to loosen the steering wheel from the column, also make sure you scribe the current position that the wheel sits on the hub...

hope this helps..

stephen

Thanks' Stephen, related question, do I need remove the lower kick panel trim (driver's "glove box") to ultimately get that lower steering column trim out, after I get the steering wheel off and get at the screws I can't get to with the steering wheel on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    Thanks' Stephen, related question, do I need remove the lower kick panel trim (driver's "glove box") to ultimately get that lower steering column trim out, after I get the steering wheel off and get at the screws I can't get to with the steering wheel on.
    I'm not sure if you'll need to or not, but the good news is they're not that hard to get off/on again - I had to pull my kick panel out to fix the wiring mess left behind by a local shop, it was 5 or 6 hex-head bolts (10 or 11mm?) and it pulled right out, no muss no fuss. Just have to watch for the wiring to the driver's footwell light.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Nope. No need to remove the kick panel to get lower cover off...

Well my kick panel is semi busted (the top connection points that bolt into the right and left of the column had the foam get brittle and they separated) and Shokan won't get back to me with how much they want to charge for a replacement and if the replacement has these bolt points in good shape/attached (thus in better shape than mine). So I dont really want to have to touch the kick panel...

Thanks a lot Stephen!