Thread: Check your tranny filters!

Check your tranny filters!

So.. apparently, my torque converter was replaced around 45k or so... but for SOME REASON the date on the filtran filter had a born on date of 01 to 03.... Anyone else notice this?

Well... i got on the car a few times with a couple buddies in the car, everything was normal until afterwards then the tranny just felt like it was shifting odd to me randomly, so i drove the car very easy until i could get it on the lift.

I decided to go ahead and do a fluid swap because of this, drop the pan and find out my filter is cracked...

I decided to use Redline D4 as jegs is 10 minutes from me and had it in stock, it'll be there whenever I need it in the future and quickly.

Cleaned up the magnets.... They were slightly dirty.

Ok, just want to confirm, pumped the fluid into the clean dry pan until it started to come out a little, had a guy in the car with the ebrake on and a foot on the brake... locked and loaded with vagcom running the 004 block, fluid was at 19c when the car was started and he held it in each gear for 15 seconds apiece while I'm under the car pumping fluid in the whole time, as SOON as it started overflowing I buttoned it up and asked him what the temp was... a nice 33c.

Now, it seems to me like it all went well and perfect, car shifts smooth and actually feels a lot better than when I got it. (I have not put the hammer down yet though) Just want to confirm with the guys that have done it on here before if she's good to go. Or I guess i'll find out.

I plan on driving it for a few days and possibly re-doing it again with just a quick drain and fill to get more of the old fluid out. Should make me feel better.

Other than all that my motor mount bolts were loose, (heard something like a thud during high rpm shifts as well) and the old tranny fluid looked like cooked water... No metal flakes tho!

Next on the list... axles...(boots destroyed) Yes, I love the car, Gives me shit to do.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Fill documentation is on my website. Yep, heard of many cracked filters. The filter pickup tube trim is a good safety mod. Cut 1/4" to 3/8" off to prevent contact with bottom pan.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

It's here, Audi doc. Think you got it. We always top off a few days later just to be sure.

http://audirssix.com/index.php/extras
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Yep, did it. Stock filter wasn't done tho.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

On my list to items to get done soon.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

eased into the car a little after warm up today and she feels great so far