Thread: Help! Rns-e

Help! Rns-e

The dealer has my unit all taken apart and they can't figure out where the speed wire goes on the RNS-E unit, which position, which connector, etc. I bought my car with an RNS-E where the nav antenna had never been run and it was just a quick jam the head-unit in there type job. I am hearing (haven't seen) that it is mess of wires back there, possibly from a half-a** job before.

I am going to get a more detailed description from the dealer on what they need info on here in a second (and then maybe you guys can help) but this is how it stands now. Obviously they have Nene's how-to. Maybe Nene can call them?

(They were able to run the GPS antenna just fine and it is picking up vehicle position.)

Fire with any ideas/gurus.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Speed wire goes to back of the instrument cluster, blue TR32 connector, pin #31 is the V-signal (speed wire).
    Full wiring diagram here from NSX_JR's most awesome RNS-E wiring guide: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...QwYjUyZjhjYWRh

Also try this one... same guy but more of a step by step and A LOT of pics.

https://sites.google.com/a/lee-hicks...sxjr/documents

pretty sure you wanna use the pdf labeled TED_RNS_E, its at the bottom...

OP- good advice above

As long as we're talking RNS-E, let's see if anyone can figure mine out.

Picked up a unit from Zawa, did everything in the directions, looks great, works great, sounds so much better than Symphony II, just one problem...

The damn thing won't go to sleep!
    It responds to headlights properly (dimming display, black background on maps with headlights on).
    It powers off properly (music stops, navigation stops, etc...)
    But it continues to spin any disc that I have in it (necessary for navigation), and even with no disc in, the electric cooling fan will not shut off (no deep sleep mode) - it drains the battery overnight unless I pull the fuse that supplies it.

Everything is hooked up properly, I've even taken the step of removing and sending to another helpful troubleshooter who had no problem with it. Did I miss a step somewhere where I needed to hook up Vag-com and do coding or something? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

My first thought would be coding but if it responds to the headlight switch changing position that makes me think twice... Connections in harness maybe? Have you ran a scan with Vag Com, codes?

I'm thinking the same as RSoverAll. What is the coding in Vagcom (Softcoding)? I'll look mine up which may be a little different though as I also installed the Bluetooth.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I think I had to have checked my harness, a good 10 or 15 times. Checking and re-checking the pins making sure they went exactly where they were supposed to go.

B. EXT Control Connector (CD Changer, PhatBox,
    OEM SAT tuner etc.) (Female pins/wires: #000-979-009)
    1 - Most Ring break (NC)
    2 - CDC-NF GND (audio ground for CD changer)
    3 - V-Signal (analog speed signal/GALA)
    4 - U14R-2 (Constant power source for CD changer etc)
    5 - K-Line (K-line diagnostic; VAGCOM)
    6 - CDC-Data out (CDC data out)
    7 - BOSE Pin (used if you have a Bose system)
    8 - CDC-NF L.IN (cd changer left audio in)
    9 - CDC-NF R. IN (cd changer right audio in)
    10 - U14 ST CDC (Ignition/accessory power for CD changer)11 - CDC -Data IN (cd changer data input)
    12 - CDC- Data CLK (cd changer clock input)

C: EXT Control Connector (For Bose orNon-Bose Amp, telephone interface)(Female pins/wires: #000-979-009)
    1 - *MIC IN (-)

A: Speaker Connecter (front passive speakers)(Female pins/wires: #000-979-133)
    1 - N.C.
    2 - Right Front (+)

D: Power Connector (Female pins/wires: #000-979-133)

3 - Left Front (+)4 - N.C.
    5 - N.C.
    6 - Right Front (-)7 - Left Front (-)8 - N.C.

9 - CAN-H (CANbus High signal)
    10 - CAN-L (CANbus Low signal)
    11 - TEL-Mute (Telephone mute connection)
    12 - Kl.31 (Primary ground connection)
    13 - U14 ST DSP (Radio On) (remote “on” lead for rear amp)14 - DWA-GND (Alarm ground)
    15 - Kl.30 (Constant 12V power source)
    16 - U14R-1 (N.C.)

Key;
    NC = Not Connected
    * Only used with OEM Bluetooth kit and factory installed speech dialog system (SDS) – Not available as factory option in the C5 or B5 chassis.

Special Thanks to Lee Hicks for this information

Updated: 2/27/2006

2 - RFSL (Analog reverse signal)
    3 - Line Out FL (front left audio signal)
    4 - *MIC Out (-)
    5 - Line Out RL (rear left audio signal)
    6 - TEL NF IN (-) (Telephone speaker negative input)7 - *MIC IN (+)
    8 - Line Out GND (audio ground)
    9 - Line Out FR (front rear audio signal)
    10 - *MIC Out (+)
    11 - Line Out RR (rear right audio signal)
    12 TEL NF IN (+) (Telephone speaker positive input)
    05 Cayenne turbo

[COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 19.897500%, 0.000000%)]Speed Signal / GALA (Pin# B3): It is probably easiest to cutthis wire from the harness and connect it directly to yourconnection behind the instrument cluster.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 19.897500%, 0.000000%)]If you have Bose, then you should relocate pin# B3 to B7 andadd a new pin/wire (Part# 000-979-009) to B3 and connectdirectly to the speed signal from behind the cluster. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 19.897500%, 0.000000%)]Bose equipped (Pin# B7): Relocate this pin#B3 in thequadlock harness to B7. This way, your factory Bose pin(connector III, #1) will mate perfectly with your harness. Thiswill also allow you to route a new speed signal wire from B3directly to your instrument cluster. [/COLOR]
    05 Cayenne turbo

Alright unfortunately this mini saga may continue. I get the car home and there are many things wrong that I won't mention here. But the one related to RNS-E that I now have the question on is this...those with RNS-E:
    Do you have the cluster lights on all the time, even with the driving lights turned off? I remember this was a feature on the RS4 that would prompt you to turn on your headlights when it was dark. I know before the RNS-E being fixed for the NAV this did not happen. It was dark and rainy on the drive in this morning so I will have to go out later when it is brighter to test if the cluster is still on when the lights aren't (when it is light out). What should be this relationship normally (just forgot) and with RNS-E installed - if different. Should the cluster illuminate when it is dark out (do our cars have light sensors, yet) even though you don't have the driving lights turned on.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.

My cluster illuminates when the ignition switch is on... regardless of light switch position.

RSoverAll and do you have RNS-E or no?

Yes I do.

Quote Originally Posted by RSoverAll View Post
    My cluster illuminates when the ignition switch is on... regardless of light switch position.
    Same here, with RNS-E, and when I had the Symphony II as well. Have never seen any indicator to prompt me to turn on headlights, though - I tend to turn them on whether it's dark or not.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Haha my Nav CD was spinning this morning after getting the car back! Ahhhh. I turned car back on, turned unit off, powered HVAC down, and powered car off, and it didn't do it again. Hopefully this is a one time thing.