Thread: Officially rebuilding the trans!!!

Flag Officially rebuilding the trans!!!

Hi everyone,

So after much thought, I am going to man up and just rebuild the trans and get the Torque Convertor from Edge Racing Torque Converter in California.
    I initially had the car up for sale due to my wife and I expecting our second son and the transmission slipping but I decided to just cough up the money and rebuild the trans. The car was up on the lift today and trans is out!!! Messed up torque converter is being shipped to Andre from Edge Racing torque converters and he will be delivering a fresh beefed up torque converter. Does anyone on here have any experience with EDGE?? The trans itself is being rebuilt.
    During the process I was told that several bushings and the axles needed to be replaced. Timing belt, spark plugs and all new vacuum lines will also be done.
    Trying to do a thorough inspection so I can just do whatever it needs while its apart. Looking forward to bringing the car back to it's full potential and enjoy driving it.

It's an expensive job but thats the price we pay if we want to play with these bad asses!!!

I will try to take pics and post as the job gets done. Hopefully my schedule will allow me to stop by the shop as much as I want.
    2003 RS6 Daytona gray, ebony interior, KW coilover suspension, Cupra Lip.

That is awesome news! Good decision

Order Raxles for the front

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    That is awesome news! Good decision

Order Raxles for the front
    THANKS DHALL1. Could you recommend a site I can order the axles from?? I was going to look at ECS Tuning site.

Order direct from raxles.com

DHall also recommends BND fluids
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Andre from EDGE was good to work with and I've heard 5-10 reports of his work being solid, along with a few years of my TC doing business just fine. Glad to hear you took the plunge! Who is doing your trans rebuild? Make sure to give it a proper break in time, lots of shifting for at least 500 miles without WOT shifts.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    DHall also recommends BND fluids
    Already ordered all BND fluids from Brian. Engine oil, trans oil, differential oils along with oil filter and Trans filter.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Andre from EDGE was good to work with and I've heard 5-10 reports of his work being solid, along with a few years of my TC doing business just fine. Glad to hear you took the plunge! Who is doing your trans rebuild? Make sure to give it a proper break in time, lots of shifting for at least 500 miles without WOT shifts.
    Trans is being done by a reputable shop here in Jersey which has done work on other RS6 vehicles. Thanks for the info, I feel much more comfortable now that you confirmed his work.

Quote Originally Posted by RM_RS6 View Post
    Trans is being done by a reputable shop here in Jersey which has done work on other RS6 vehicles. Thanks for the info, I feel much more comfortable now that you confirmed his work.
    Glad to hear it. Highly recommend going back a week after you get the car back and having them try and put more trans fluid in. With the new trans and the empty cooler and lines I think it's around 12 quarts, depends how much is left in the system. Anyhow, it's a long process to get every little bit filled, and it seems to settle after a week, allowing 1/4 to 3/4 more fluid in to top off the system.

Edit; also get a few extra quarts so you aren't stuck waiting for more on the initial trans fill. And make sure the rebuild shop or mechanic trim the pickup tube 1/4" to 3/8", also make sure it's a new OEM filter or the BND kit sounds good too.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by RM_RS6 View Post
    THANKS DHALL1. Could you recommend a site I can order the axles from?? I was going to look at ECS Tuning site.
    I'd recommend against ECS. Their website shows just about everything in-stock when in reality they have no idea. Their customer service also leaves something to be desired.

maybe bufkin while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    I'd recommend against ECS. Their website shows just about everything in-stock when in reality they have no idea. Their customer service also leaves something to be desired.

ECS is good for some things, but mostly I would def agree with the above statements.

ECS anything that says ships in 2 days, doesn't. They don't have it, have to order it, especially for RS6, usually from Germany. They don't tell you though.

I have had good and bad from ECS. But I would agree what has frustrated me is when they said it was in stock and I was in a hurry enough to pay for 2 day shipping and it doesn't ship for 3 to 5 days. If I knew it wasn't shipping for that long I wouldn't have paid for 2 day but they know I would have went elsewhere.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I've had issues with ECS too. Now I have a specific rep I work with and he confirms all my questions before placing my orders. I can email or call him directly. This helped a lot.

That being said, they have made shipping mistakes too though. I had my BMW E30 apart replacing the suspension and I realized they sent me 2 right front strut mounts. That sucked and they argued with me over the phone (my rep was off that day).
    Current: 08 Mercedes CLK63 AMG Black Series, 08 Mercedes E63 AMG, 99 Mercedes C43 AMG, 02 Porsche 911 Turbo, 91 BMW 318IC (E30)
    Past: 03 Audi RS6, 01 Audi S4, 13 Audi S6, 99 BMW M3, 07 Audi RS4, 06 BMW M5, +