Thread: Regular maintenance, question on found part

Regular maintenance, question on found part

Doing some regular maintenance, found the attached pic, next to a quarter-inch ratchet for size reference, any idea where this goes /what it holds in?

Thanks
    O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Holds the front bumper skin on to the radiator support. You fasten this upwards through the bumper pistons. One each side. Pull off your intercooler grilles and make sure you have both in place.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

^ winner winner chicken dinner ^
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Found where? Best we ever did was find a Philips screwdriver in the TCU well.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Found where? Best we ever did was find a Philips screwdriver in the TCU well.
    Found between the front of the passenger side intercooler and the IC Grill, just chilling out inside that pocket in the bumper skin. Oil change will be about 2 months from now, will take that opportunity to get a ratchet and a 10mm box-end wrench off the top of the under-engine skid, maybe another bit or two down there, plus one of the air filter cover hold-down screws. Sucks trying to work on the Beast and having NEAT screwing with you (Non-Essential Action Tremors)...

Now if only I could find the other dozen or so missing attachment hardwares, we'd be in business. Loving that my radiator is held in place by gravity and coolant piping, my intake inlets are held in place because they're wedged in, my SAI pump is missing a mounting bolt, Both of the Cleco fasteners for the front engine cover are completely gone, etc... I'll have to see if the driver side bumper skin to radiator support bolt is in... All of this courtesy the shop that wrenched on the beast after the pothole incident :|

Thanks
    O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

The bumper skin houses the cross rail for the bumper and not having this fastened properly to the bumper piston reduces the overall performance of the bumper should impact occur. Don't put this item off until a future oil change. It takes all of a couple of minutes to fasten.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    The bumper skin houses the cross rail for the bumper and not having this fastened properly to the bumper piston reduces the overall performance of the bumper should impact occur. Don't put this item off until a future oil change. It takes all of a couple of minutes to fasten.
    Gotcha, will put that back in this afternoon. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    It takes all of a couple of minutes to fasten.
    Provided the alignment is right.

Sometimes they can be a major PITA to get aligned and fastened. Hopefully the securing nut piece on the top of the bumper is not missing.

From the little things mentioned above, it seems that the maintenance/repair was 'half assed' for the most part by the repair shop. Hopefully you will not have any issues until you do a thorough inspection...
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    Provided the alignment is right.

Sometimes they can be a major PITA to get aligned and fastened. Hopefully the securing nut piece on the top of the bumper is not missing.

From the little things mentioned above, it seems that the maintenance/repair was 'half assed' for the most part by the repair shop. Hopefully you will not have any issues until you do a thorough inspection...
    Agreed. Looking more and more like it'd be less costly to pay someone who knows the RS6 platform to un-fsck mine than to keep driving it with little crap like this cropping up. Anyone up for the job?