Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for reman. steering rack

Source for reman. steering rack

Hey guys,

When it rains it pours. I knew my car was due for control arms. Today I was driving to my shop to do an oil change and I hit a pothole which I believe blew out my right front shock (makes that shuddering feel when going over bumps now). Tack on a set of Koni shocks to the "to-do" list. So, I got her up on jackstands and removed the right front wheel to have a look at some things, to discover there's a fairly significant leak from the RH steering rack boot. I guess this means I need a new steering rack? Can anyone recommend a good source for a replacement, or can I just replace the seal on that side? I have used rackdoctor.net in the past for my BMW and they list racks for the A6 4.2 and S6 but no RS6; not sure if there are differences? Thanks for the help!

http://www.shop.rackdoctor.net/A6-SERIES_c66.htm
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

I got my refurbished OEM rack from audiparts.com, something like that, located in SoCal. I believe you can only buy them refurbished from Audi, they are not offered "new". Anyhow, about $1,200.

So, we put that in and it failed two weeks later. This was after taking the engine out, on the next try we discovered you can replace the rack with engine in, just takes some ingenuity. Anyhow, AoA fought my warranty claim because an non-dealer mechanic put the rack in. After telling them how stupid this logic was for around 3 weeks or so, they had a meeting and gave me another steering rack. I still ate another $1k in labor.

Save your receipts, make sure your mechanic is good and knows there is a way to get those three bolts holding it in...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

if you think the damage was the pothole...turn into insurance

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    if you think the damage was the pothole...turn into insurance
    I'd say all of this damage is obviously the pothole, glad he's got good insurance, whew, good call...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Also, if anyone's parting out an RS6 and has a good rack for sale, that's a welcome option, too. Thanks!

If I try to go thru insurance I'm afraid it'll show up as an accident on the CARFAX, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    If I try to go thru insurance I'm afraid it'll show up as an accident on the CARFAX, no?
    Doesn't matter to me as a buyer as long as receipts are there are repairs done correctly. Seems good to have new parts! There was a fellow parting a front collision RS6, the Canadian, can't find the contact right now, and rack may be bent anyhow.

You say that like you'll ever sell the car. They'll have to pry my Beast's keys from my cold, dead hands. Be sure to ping your insurance for diminished value as well. Once they've paid out the claim, they _may_ require you to file your claim with your local road repair (VDOT in my case) - 9 months and still no satisfactory answer here...

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Someone said the RS6 rack is the same as the allroad; can anyone confirm this? Is ours considered Servotronic?

Also, if it is possible (albeit tricky) to remove with engine in, tips or tricks to accomplishing this?
    Last edited by Turbowned; March 13th, 2015 at 12:34.

Someone said the RS6 rack is the same as the allroad; can anyone confirm this? Is ours considered Servotronic?

Also, if it is possible (albeit tricky) to remove with engine in, tips or tricks to accomplishing this?
    A6, S6, Allroad, and RS6 all used the same rack with one minor difference - input ratio
    A6/S6/Allroad - 16.2:1
    RS6: 14.3:1

All of these racks are 2.8 turns lock to lock, and are at least available in servotronic. Our stock rack is servotronic.

If you switch to a non-RS6 rack, there will be a direct affect to your turning radius (wheels won't turn as far outboard)

REMAN: $481 + $250 core
    http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2...0-01433_R.html

HTH
    O_E
    Last edited by Other_Erik; March 13th, 2015 at 14:29. Reason: servotronic
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I dont think it would be an accident. It'd be a comprehensive claim wouldn't it?
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    I dont think it would be an accident. It'd be a comprehensive claim wouldn't it?
    Liberty Mutual treated my pothole ordeal as an accident (rule of thumb: If the car is moving, it's probably not a comprehensive claim)

Generic answer is that it's collision coverage. Pay your $500 deductible and they can cover the other $4,500...

https://www.google.com/search?q=hit+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

It's possible, I'll see if I can get some info from my mechanic. He was determined as he didn't want to pull the engine that was just put back in two weeks prior...also had more perspective on how it went together. Maybe a heat shield or something protecting one of the bolts, get that out and it's doable, something like that.

It's collision coverage. I called them to report the incident but have not decided whether or not to use them to repair it or not. It is a "not-at-fault" incident so it does not affect my premium.

lswing if you can find out it would be supremely helpful. If it's remotely possible to DIY I will keep this off my insurance as I plan to do the suspension arms and shocks all at once. Good thing I have the (tinny and slow) Subaru to drive in the meantime!

got one, from my part out, comes with tie end rods, car had 58k miles. PM me if interested

Excellent! OK, so that means I should have a good used rack.
    Last edited by Turbowned; March 14th, 2015 at 00:57.

Ordered Konis, strut tops and control arms yesterday in addition to the used rack. Gonna be a big project. I really hope there's a way to do the rack without pulling the motor or else I'm gonna think about holding out for downpipes and intercoolers while the motor's out. Anything else I should consider getting that's related to the steering system; lines, fittings? I'll assess the condition of the tie rods and bellows when the rack gets here, but probably good practice to replace them anyway.