Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: So it has begun.

Finally out of the garage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	239 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	16772

Purdy. What's up with those wheel centers? Replicas?
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Yes. I liked 19's better. Will use stock 18's for winter setup.

Gotcha. I'd like to get a summer setup and use the OE 18s for winter also. Leaning towards 19s too but can't decide on a style within my budget.

Congrats on the first drive. I had all my vehicles in the driveway yesterday. Garage was empty for the first time in nearly 4 yrs. It just felt weird. Lol
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

What exhaust cuts did you go with and how are you activating them?
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Just cheap ssac cutouts. Don't have them installed just yet still open. They came with a wireless remote. Controller in trunk. Key fob remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    Just cheap ssac cutouts. Don't have them installed just yet still open. They came with a wireless remote. Controller in trunk. Key fob remote.
    Nice. what size fits our exhausts, 2.5" dual? think I might get these as I like the refined sound when im cruising but a bit more noise when the mood suits.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    Nice. what size fits our exhausts, 2.5" dual? think I might get these as I like the refined sound when im cruising but a bit more noise when the mood suits.
    When I get time I'll take some exact measurements with pics for you

Figured I'd knock some more items off the list while the car is back in the garage waiting for the correct rear dif to arrive. Purchased som ureathane two part rubber with a hardness of 60 to make some stiffer rear dif mounts. Couldn't make myself pay 250 for just the side mount. Even sand blasted and rattle-canned for the heck of it. I think it turned out really good and from the feel of it I bet it makes a huge difference.

Views:	223 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	16802 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	180 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	16804

Views:	183 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	16803 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	205 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	16805

Back on the road. New 3.89:1 rear dif installed to match the FTL coded 3.89:1 drive of trans. I bet this car will get 25+ mpg on the highway.

Name:	IMG_6843.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	16838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6844.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	16839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6845.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	16840

Also, had a little more time on the ps pump pressure banjo and crush washers. FINALLY, third time's a charm. No more leaking (almost don't want to say that aloud, fingers crossed).

Only issue for the moment is a vibration that "seems" to be coming from the rear of the car. I don't think it was there before the dif swap/ new rubber in mounts, but I can't be positive because I also finished installed the rear mufflers and cutouts. It's much quieter now.

It's not a huge deal but it is something that feels like it's not quite right. It doesn't go away at any speed but does seem to be the most noticeable around 40 mph. At that point it makes a low rumbling/drone sound in the cabin. It doesn't seem to affect the drive-ability. I don't think a video would do any good because the mic probably wouldn't pick up the sound. I was told to get at cruising speed, put in neutral, apply parking brake and see if any difference. No difference. I also don't feel it in the steering wheel. My best guesses are; it's a symptom of the stiffer mounts transferring sound/vibration into the body, the rear axles or cv joints, the driveshaft or joints, or the rear dif itself (although I don't want to believe it is because Scott said it was driven into his shop, disassembled and inspected, and given new seals). Any suggestions would be great.

Sounds like a carrier bearing. am told they are very particular about what angle they go in at.
    2014 S8 - Daytona Gray Pearl Effect, APR Stage 2 Tune, APR downpipes

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
    Sounds like a carrier bearing. am told they are very particular about what angle they go in at.
    Ah! Makes sense. That's why the play in the mount bracket that holds the center of the shaft/bearing. Hope there is a home procedure without special, expensive tools to adjust. Or I could just start at one side and keep nudging over a touch at a time, drive and test, keep adjusting until it goes away?