Thread: Trouble starting after refuel

Trouble starting after refuel

The first time after I refuel, my car has trouble starting. After about 10-15 seconds, it will finally start with some help from the gas pedal. I dont have any trouble starting the car afterwards, only when I refuel. I tried refilling my gas tank half way instead of fully to see if it would continue and it still has the same problem. I also notice that when I pull the fuel pump, the hose leaks gas all over my rear quarter panel for a second as if the hose never got closed off. No CEL lights are on either but I have yet to scan it.

Fuel cap? Fuel filter? Purge valve? N80?
    Avus Silver: Viper ECU / MTM TCU / ACE TC / Rebuilt Trans/ PSS9 / AWE Uppers / Clear Corners / Carbon lip

purge valve. See if the scan picks up anything.
    P.S. what nene said below about the fuel filter if it's been a while. "Chung" had issues with a dirty filter last year.
    Last edited by hahnmgh63; February 27th, 2015 at 18:56.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

That is very interesting since how would the car know you refueled? Wonder if it is simply coincidence...
    If you refuel even with the car at half tank the issue occurs? Or only when you refuel when gas is below quarter tank for example?

I would check fuel filter and purge valve, in that order.

Instead of refueling, just remove the gas cap for a few minutes then reinstall to see if the same condition happens.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    Instead of refueling, just remove the gas cap for a few minutes then reinstall to see if the same condition happens.
    I tried this and did not see any recurrence of the restart problem. I suspect it to be my fuel filter since it has been a while since I have replaced it. I will let you guys know if replacing it fixes the issue. Thanks for the feedback.
    Avus Silver: Viper ECU / MTM TCU / ACE TC / Rebuilt Trans/ PSS9 / AWE Uppers / Clear Corners / Carbon lip