Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAI Pump replacement

Mech SAI Pump replacement

Looking to replace my SAI pump, hating Virginia for making me have this useless expensive anti-smog system...

JEAudi says part number 078906601F
    Latest revision is 078906601M

Part number ending in F is $394, part number ending in M is $181. Not trying to cheap out, but will the part number ending with M be a proper fit?

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Somebody has one lying around I bet...labor, $2k?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Looking to replace my SAI pump, hating Virginia for making me have this useless expensive anti-smog system...

JEAudi says part number 078906601F
    Latest revision is 078906601M

Part number ending in F is $394, part number ending in M is $181. Not trying to cheap out, but will the part number ending with M be a proper fit?

O_E
    They actually perform a visual inspection when you go for emissions testing?

Quote Originally Posted by RSoverAll View Post
    They actually perform a visual inspection when you go for emissions testing?
    Guessing it is throwing a CEL error code.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Just thought it would be more of a permanent solution to code out with a tune and remove the system altogether... but then again maybe Erik isn't about the tunes or ready/wanting to do that.

They plug into obd

They know if emission equipment have been coded out.

You could leave the dead pump and loop the vac hose.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

Now I see.

Interesting, so the failed pump won't report to the ECU? Just loop the vac as mentioned? Seems like it's the computer controlling the SAI Pump, and it wouldn't be happy if it was failed. But agreed from what Bigglez has posted, connected vac line bypassing SAI and no CEL seems to be the word.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    They plug into obd

You could leave the dead pump and loop the vac hose.
    QFT

I'd rather not McGuyver this thing, would be just my luck I'd get the one inspector who would fire it up and say "Hey, I don't hear the SAI pump!"

Back to the original question - $400 for part number ending in "F", or $200 for part number ending in "M"? I'm a couple weekends away from doing a teardown to replace this, my vacuum pump, all filters, topping oil, and re-soldering the EGT sensor wires at the control box (intermittent open to ground / implausible signal). If the part number ending in "M" will work, there's another $200 I can put towards a second vehicle so the wife will have something to drive.

Thanks
    O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

All my stuff works and I'm about to remove it all (and hopefully not break anything) as soon as the weather clears up here, if you want used stuff for cheap I can ship it out. Just let me know.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    All my stuff works and I'm about to remove it all (and hopefully not break anything) as soon as the weather clears up here, if you want used stuff for cheap I can ship it out. Just let me know.
    PM sent, thanks

I've got three pumps laying around here collecting dust.... Comes complete with kombi valves. CHEAP. lol
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I love FL for no emissions!
    Current: 08 Mercedes CLK63 AMG Black Series, 08 Mercedes E63 AMG, 99 Mercedes C43 AMG, 02 Porsche 911 Turbo, 91 BMW 318IC (E30)
    Past: 03 Audi RS6, 01 Audi S4, 13 Audi S6, 99 BMW M3, 07 Audi RS4, 06 BMW M5, +

Is any inspector going to know what an RS6 engine compartment is suppose to look like? Do they have pics of the engine compartments of all cars? The SAI system won't even be running during an emissions test, it only works on a Cold or relatively cold start and your car should always be warm when you take it to the emissions station for best results.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Sent you a PM.. For the record, mine is an "F" version and is for sale. It worked perfectly when I removed it.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Mech Not busting anyone's balls here...

P1054 - PM returned. Thanks

So I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that the shop that half-arsed all the repairs from the pothole ($7,9xx.xx later) probably didn't put everything back together quite 100%. Just off the top of my head - they lost both cleco connectors that hold down the front engine cover, didn't put the radiator aligning bolts back in place, not sure which piece it is on the passenger side of the engine compartment that sits on top of the wheel well, but it's held in place by a pair of zip-ties... I'm just trying to get known working parts in before I take it somewhere else for them to come up with an estimate to finish the job so I can put that number back to my insurance company. I am acutely aware that my SAI pump is no good (I get voltage at the connector, but it blows the fuse and doesn't run), my brake booster's vacuum pump is not working - I'll be digging into that when the weather here gets a little better than negative-degrees outside, and I have to re-solder my EGT sensor wires. Once all that is done, time to run it for a bit and see what else is busted.

Biggz - $10 says you didn't pull the bracket that holds the SAI pump... scratch that, you probably did (I know you're anal-retentive when it comes to your vehicles) If I'm going to go with used parts, I'd like to pull together as much of the SAI kit as I possibly can - if that means all the parts in the attached diagram, I'm cool with that. I just don't want to tear it down and find out that I'm missing a flange and I'll have a major vac leak without it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Secondary Air Injection System Diagram.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	16048

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Biggz - $10 says you didn't pull the bracket that holds the SAI pump... scratch that, you probably did (I know you're anal-retentive when it comes to your vehicles) If I'm going to go with used parts, I'd like to pull together as much of the SAI kit as I possibly can - if that means all the parts in the attached diagram, I'm cool with that. I just don't want to tear it down and find out that I'm missing a flange and I'll have a major vac leak without it...

Name:	Secondary Air Injection System Diagram.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	16048
    The image you attached is not the SAI configuration for the RS6. Refer to attached photo for parts that were removed as part of SAI delete.

Name:	SAI pump & valves.jpg 
Views:	529 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	16051
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    The image you attached is not the SAI configuration for the RS6. Refer to attached photo for parts that were removed as part of SAI delete.
    The pic I attached above was from Jimellisaudiparts - it's the config for the A8/S8, which uses the same pump, but vastly different piping.
    Thanks for the photo, hoping that replacing my vac pump and SAI pump will clear out the codes my Beast has been throwing.

My other major concern at the moment is the missing attachment hardware - stuff held in place by zip ties, or in the case of the radiator, nothing at all... scary thoughts running through my head every time I fire her up.

As an aside, any knowledgeable, mechanically-inclined RS6 enthusiast in the DC area who is willing to come take a look at my beast with me and help me list all the stuff that's missing will earn themselves a six-pack and a steak dinner (yes, I grill, even in negative-degrees temps, and my steak has been independently certified "Orgasmic")

Thanks
    O_E