Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: tcu replaced, think transmission is shot

All good points. Hope it is something simple like that. I've heard of these cracking, that looks bad, not sure if it's temp exposure causing warping or just crap plastic. Is that piece OEM?

My reasoning on it not being the crack is that it's a sealed system with very little air, if filled correctly. Sensitive yes, but most of that is about it not self destructing due to low or incorrect fluid, fluid flow also.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

My initial assumption was the same as yours; it should as least attempt to drive the wheels or some movement at the input sensor. Even with little fluid. I guess I'm just hoping for the best. I'll know by the first of next week. This will be my last effort before having engine and trans pulled. Didn't want to blow another 150 only to dump the fluid again, but that pales in comparison to the 4-5k for a used trans swap so I guess it's worth a shot.

there was a good cond used tranny up for sale on here for $1K....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

And if not gone a fully rebuilt with no miles $1,800....for sale section.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    And if not gone a fully rebuilt with no miles $1,800....for sale section.
    Ok. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if I can find the rebuilt one for 1800, that would probably be the route I'd go.

In response to the cracked filter and whether or not it could cause a completely immobile trans, I did a google search and found very little instances of this (an actual cracked trans filter)...on any car. There was one post where a Jeep owner had this occur and he said it made his car behave as if all gears were "neutral". Exactly as the symptoms I am seeing. To me, this is a good sign. No reason to keep this discussion going because I will have the answer in a few days if this was the underlying issue, but it would have been nice to find a post like this a week ago. Hopefully somewhere down the line someone will see this and not have to go through all the hoops to arrive at the same conclusion.

If the fluid level is correct, then you should have 600-700 input speed in P or N. If the filter is cracked or missing the O-ring you are not able to fill the trans to the correct level. You can crack the trans cooler line open and start the car for a sec. If it pumps fluid and there is no input speed then you have a snapped input shaft.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    If the fluid level is correct, then you should have 600-700 input speed in P or N. If the filter is cracked or missing the O-ring you are not able to fill the trans to the correct level. You can crack the trans cooler line open and start the car for a sec. If it pumps fluid and there is no input speed then you have a snapped input shaft.
    Thanks for the input Tozo!

Im sticking to my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Input shaft snapped

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Im sticking to my guns.
    Me too....
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I am very close to chicago. Does Tozo actually do trans work? It would be nice to have an exact problem to address before tearing the shit out of the car.

Yes Tozo does work just outside Chicago, in one of the Burbs, can't remember the name of the place but he'll reach out to you. If he doeskin soon, I can go through my emails.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    Yes Tozo does work just outside Chicago, in one of the Burbs, can't remember the name of the place but he'll reach out to you. If he doeskin soon, I can go through my emails.
    I wasn't sure, just figured I'd ask here since he posted. I pm'd him, but I know from experience, pm's are always noticed.

Go with Tozo!

I have his number at home

Contacted him. Seems like a very knowledgable and trustworthy guy. If next tcu this week yields same result will be bringing it down to him

BTW, if it is a snapped input shaft, does this require a full trans rebuild...or can the shaft be replaced fairly easily since the trans will be out anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    BTW, if it is a snapped input shaft, does this require a full trans rebuild...or can the shaft be replaced fairly easily since the trans will be out anyway?
    The shaft comes out the front of the tranny after removing the pump, differential, cross shaft and various retainer clips. You don't need to overhaul the entire tranny no, but it's not just a few bolts. Given the fact that it takes a host of time to R&R the tranny, you might want to consider the additional $$ to go through it entirely and do things like the seals and drum which are common failures.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	16096
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

There's a great rebuild documentation thread from rs246.com last year. I'll dig that up and add it to the website this week.

Well, I thought perhaps the previous owner would have been a bit more honest, but I guess I'll use this as yet another learning experience. I think it's more than I want to deal with right now and it'll put my current build progress on hold. Right now I have two a6's (a stage 3 2.7 and a 4.2) and this rs6. I was really hoping I could throw in a new tcu and be good. If I end up not being able to sell it as is I will have no choice but to spring for the trans rebuild.

Ill clean it up (the car is actually in AMAZING shape) and resell it. Very disappointed. If I didn't have a $7000 half-built 2.7 engine in the garage waiting to swap into the 4.2 behind the garage, I would go all in on this rs6 and have the turbos done or swapped, all maintenance, and a 6 speed.

in anticipation of the tcu working, I already pulled all the seats and leatheriqued them, installed new plugs, and cleaned and oiled the k&n filters. Besides it having a new tcu and a new fluid and filter for the trans (not that matters now)