Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm coming out :).....6 speed conversion

Ok, I'm coming out :).....6 speed conversion

Not what you think...I've now made my final payment to Steve for the 6spd conversion and I'm getting on that train. I've got a TDI 01E and most of the rest of the parts coming. I still need to get a clutch, Anti-lock Brake module, and AMD software. I probably will either do it late Spring or I'll skip all the way to Fall so I can use the car in the Summer.
    Overall I've been pretty happy with the 517 trans compared to OEM but I still feel the slipping you get with an older Autobox. If there was a way to do the newer 6HP box I would definitely do that but I'm no software engineer. The 6HP is such a better shifting gearbox, weights less than the 5HP, and has versions capable of more Tq, than our 5HP version but oh well. I drive a 6sp commuter most days to work so loosing the Autobox won't be a loss. I almost never have real stop & go traffic. The Rear wheel HP increase with the 100lb loss will be favorable. I had a ride in AvusRS6's car a while back and I know he puts a lot of miles on his car so I figured if he was real happy then I would be too.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Awesome! I am on the fence if I should start shopping for a manual swap right from the start since I am a new owner. This way I just get it over with.
    Current: 08 Mercedes CLK63 AMG Black Series, 08 Mercedes E63 AMG, 99 Mercedes C43 AMG, 02 Porsche 911 Turbo, 91 BMW 318IC (E30)
    Past: 03 Audi RS6, 01 Audi S4, 13 Audi S6, 99 BMW M3, 07 Audi RS4, 06 BMW M5, +

That is great news @hahnmgh63. Keep us posted on your progress.

Nice! If this doesn't get me to Feierabend, nothing will!
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

FYI, the AMD tune can use your stock ABS controller. Talk to them about a clutch too.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

That's great news Steve. I thought I had re-read the conversion threads but I must have missed that one. Now just the Clutch and tune but I've got time as I'm in no hurry, that includes you shipping Steve, I'm in no hurry.
    Roy, WA

As Steve said above, you can retain the stock ABS controller with AMD's tune, and they have a line of clutches that work as well.

If you're talking with Jason, tell him my cluster still has the issue of showing P R N D 4 3 2 like it's an automatic lol. He knows of the issue but I haven't been able to get in contact with him in the past month or so. Other than that I love the tune! Apparently my car is the only one he's had the console coding issue with, go figure..
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Good to hear! Looking forward to seeing the project progress

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    As Steve said above, you can retain the stock ABS controller with AMD's tune, and they have a line of clutches that work as well.

If you're talking with Jason, tell him my cluster still has the issue of showing P R N D 4 3 2 like it's an automatic lol. He knows of the issue but I haven't been able to get in contact with him in the past month or so. Other than that I love the tune! Apparently my car is the only one he's had the console coding issue with, go figure..
    Communication is the typical AMD complaint. All of those cluster issues should be fixed when you recode the cluster to a manual. It gets rid of the "foot on brake" warning and replaces it with "push clutch" warning. Don't remember as it's been awhile, but it can be done with Vagcom.

Great guns..there goes another one.

Good luck and have fun with it!
    210K miles rolled

I'm thinking it will be for sale by November?

@ttboost yeah Jason was looking into the recoding but thought he'd switched everything over. Maybe I'll just dig into it and try fixing the issue myself. And yes, they're communication is more like a lack thereof, but they do great work. And for the record, mine won't be up for sale anytime soon, I'm loving the 6-speed!
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Add me to the 6-speed swap list too. A few months ago I noticed slight slipping/disengaging between 1st & 2nd when cold. Progressively got worse. Showing just over 100k miles now. SteveKen's adapter kit arrived last week but I'm busy finishing up another project to make room in the garage for the full engine-out treatment. Standard list of items to address while it's out (check/rebuild turbos, cam tensioners, bufkin, SAI, etc). Probably do another TB/water pump since I'm creeping up on the next interval.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    Add me to the 6-speed swap list too. A few months ago I noticed slight slipping/disengaging between 1st & 2nd when cold. Progressively got worse. Showing just over 100k miles now. SteveKen's adapter kit arrived last week but I'm busy finishing up another project to make room in the garage for the full engine-out treatment. Standard list of items to address while it's out (check/rebuild turbos, cam tensioners, bufkin, SAI, etc). Probably do another TB/water pump since I'm creeping up on the next interval.
    Fun times
    Current: 08 Mercedes CLK63 AMG Black Series, 08 Mercedes E63 AMG, 99 Mercedes C43 AMG, 02 Porsche 911 Turbo, 91 BMW 318IC (E30)
    Past: 03 Audi RS6, 01 Audi S4, 13 Audi S6, 99 BMW M3, 07 Audi RS4, 06 BMW M5, +

Holy cow! We'll have to have a "beers-n-gears" GTG to check it out.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

That really will be a special RS6 when you're done; white and 6MT!
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Thanks everyone for the support. Just got the package from SteveKen yesterday, a work of art, the flywheel and adapter plate. Now waiting for the tranny, linkage, etc.... Still thinking late spring at the earliest to start. Don't expect to need much extra as I had it all out a few years ago and replaced everything and probably haven't done but 10K since then. I'll do the rear Main seal and that'll probably be it. Just need the AMD tune and pick a clutch.
    Ok, I'm not a JHM rotor fan but what about their 01E linkage? Anyone use it? Everyone go with a metal slave cylinder?
    Roy, WA

I used all factory stuff. But if I kept the car, I would've upgraded the shifter. Only a matter of time before you break it, or it keeps popping off and won't stay on..