Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "New" C5 RS6 Owner

Well there ya go

these cars are far from problematic if proper attention is given.

Quote Originally Posted by Knowa View Post
    My car is LOW, if the road was female there would be baby RS6's EVERYWHERE... I have to drive an additional 2 miles home to avoid the 1 speed bump...

Fender to ground w 255/35/19 pss

25 3/4 fr
    25 1/2 rear

full gas tank

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    How low is low? I'm counting on you to have the hub to fender height memorized...

Guessing Knowa is just too low.

Stock wheel/tire size...fender to ground.

26.25 front
    26 rear
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thanks so much guys! sucks this lesson came at the expense of 2 tires!!!!

Okay so... Is raising the ride height something I can do, or something I need to trust someone else with?

Thanks so much guys! sucks this lesson came at the expense of 2 tires!!!!

Okay so... Is raising the ride height something I can do, or something I need to trust someone else with?
    IF you have experience with car suspension and control arms, all the tools, and may want to read up on it. Will also need an alignment after. Personally I would have your shop do it, it's quick work for a shop and should not be a problem.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    IF you have experience with car suspension and control arms, all the tools, and may want to read up on it. Will also need an alignment after. Personally I would have your shop do it, it's quick work for a shop and should not be a problem.
    Seconded, I had a local indy put my RS up 1 notch from the bottom setting on KWV3's, took them less than an hour including alignment check and tweak.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Can I put 285's on the stock rims? I dont want to do this long term, I jsut want some tires to get to the tire shop and then put the stock tire size on. so its for a 4 mile trip...

Can I put 285's on the stock rims? I dont want to do this long term, I jsut want some tires to get to the tire shop and then put the stock tire size on. so its for a 4 mile trip...
    Depending on which stock rims you have...

If you have the 18x8" rims that came stock on US-spec: Can you? Yes. Would I recommend it? No. 8" wide rim mating to 11.2" wide tire means you've got almost 30% of the tire hanging past the lip of the wheel. If you had beadlocks, maybe. Otherwise it's not a recommended configuration. I cringe every time I hear of someone putting 265 or 275-wide tires on an 8" wheel and then driving the crap out of their car. The tire has a bead to help keep it on the wheel, but there's only so much pressure you can put on that lip before it unseats itself.

I think from your pictures in the first post you have the 19x8.5" OE wheels that weren't made available in the US initially - I'd be a little more confident in those, but only so much so. I'm guessing you're talking about a 285/30-19 tire? I'd be more comfortable with 9" width or more, but 8.5 is doable. Just don't recommend you take any hard corners.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

the stock tires for my car are 255/35/19 and the tires I want to use for the short 4 mile drive are 285/30/19 the difference results in about 1.7% in tire circumference, which of course means different speeds, as im only putting those wheels on the front or back. 1,7% is a small change, old and new tires have that much change.

the stock tires for my car are 255/35/19 and the tires I want to use for the short 4 mile drive are 285/30/19 the difference results in about 1.7% in tire circumference, which of course means different speeds, as im only putting those wheels on the front or back. 1,7% is a small change, old and new tires have that much change.
    It's not the overall circumference that I'd be worried about, it's putting a wider tire on the same size rim. You're stretching the tire further beyond where it mounts to the wheel, which puts more shearing force on the bead. Again, if these 19's are the stock 8.5" wide rim, I'd be comfortable driving it nice and easy, but minimize hard corners / at-speed turns to keep the lateral force as low as possible. Just going from my experience with the same style on Jeeps, I could throw a 15" wide tire on a 10" wide wheel, but I wouldn't be comfortable putting pressure on the bead without a beadlock.

Stay safe out there!

O_E

the circumference is important with the quattro isnt it? geared together but needing to spin at different speeds. it is the 8.5" Rim, and its only for a trip 4 miles long and they will be changed, and as long as a guy in a Mustang doesnt pull up next to me in those 4 miles, I should be good for a slow gentle drive.

the circumference is important with the quattro isnt it? geared together but needing to spin at different speeds. it is the 8.5" Rim, and its only for a trip 4 miles long and they will be changed, and as long as a guy in a Mustang doesnt pull up next to me in those 4 miles, I should be good for a slow gentle drive.
    Yes, but 1.7% is within margin of error that the quattro system can handle - otherwise uneven tire wear would cause differential oddities.

Even if the guy in the Mustang pulled up next to you, so long as you didn't have to throw it through curves, you'd probably still be alright. Straight-line acceleration is not the enemy, it's cornering that could cause an extra-wide tire to unseat from a not-so-extra-wide wheel.

O_E

Back to the heat issue, you might want to try this:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20...r-air-vent-mod

Several forum members have done this and reported that it really does help dissipate heat.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude