View Poll Results: Are "new to RS6 owners" perhaps biting off too much??

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 46.43%
  • No

7 25.00%
  • Depends on maintenance history of vehicle

7 25.00%
  • Depends on how much the vehicle is driven

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are "new to RS6 owners" perhaps biting off too much??

Are "new to RS6 owners" perhaps biting off too much??

With our rides surpassing the 10yr mark and with them selling for as little as $15K (less than 18% the cost of new), what are your thoughts on 'new' owners getting in to these rides. The majority of the cars out there no longer qualify for warranty coverage so anyone that owns a car either has to be good at performing their own work, or have a decent sized wallet. This was afterall a vehicle that cost $85-90K USD new ($120K CDN) and when you are an owner that is buying vehicles that expensive, you aren't concerned about what it costs to maintain or you only own long enough that the vehicle is covered by warranty.

I've always had a concern that because the price to get in to one of these cars is now as low as it is, that some owners find out the hard way that owning becomes a cost prohibitive proposition. They've always wanted to own one and can now finally afford to purchase one. They then jump in head first and realize after a while they are having a difficult time still justifying ownership - cost of gas aside. Yes, it matters on what maintenance work has been performed over the years, and yes it matters that the bit ticket items (TQ, Tranny, DRC) have been attended to, but there is still brakes, timing belts, etc. Hell - even an oil change if you have zero mechanical skills can set you back a host. Money-pits aside (there have been a few examples over the years), I find these cars to require no more maintenance than other similar performance cars. I'm personally fortunate enough to do all my own mechanical work irrespective of complexity so having more than one of these hasn't been a true 'burden' on the pocket book.

Just wanted to hear other members thoughts on whether or not you agree or disagree with these observations.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I do believe that you are correct.

There was no way in hades that "congress" was going to allow an RS6 in our driveway without an aftermarket warranty (it paid for itself with the non-bufkin oil tube cooler thingy failure @ $5200).

Some new owners jump at the low price tag, but fail to understand:
    1. A DIY brake job is $1000 US,
    2. Transmission failure is high on the list of issues and it WILL fail,
    3. Timing belt replacement frequency is at 40k and range from $1200-1600,
    4. It is a vehicle that must be driven and driven hard,
    5. DRC, while theoretically amazing, will fail (yes, we can't forget about this little gem)
    6. If you're mechanically challenged, be prepared for wallet maintenance and/or mods.
    7. Even if you have EVERYTHING sorted out and can do a 6 speed swap, there is always something that fails (gas tank rollover valve, or ECU fry, ABS, N75, N249, etc)

I was very happy with 905355, but was fortunate to NOT have an issue without warranty coverage...
    That is all...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Who really cares? Pretty sure anyone getting into a used RS6 knows the value, and can rationalize it by not being the first one to drop 80k on it I'll have the car for many many years until I reach that new retail amount.

But, I'm blessed.. many issues already sorted and I can handle whatever it throws at me, I love working on project cars...

Oh and this....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guhjs.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	15924
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

I am one of the "new" owners....fully aware of the maintenance costs etc (mine has warranty though). I finally bought one after years of contemplating it...but after a lot of research I got the right one. I also have access to a very good independent Audi mechanic. I had a stage 3 A6 2.7T (I know the RS6 is a different animal) but the stage 3 car also required a lot of upkeep.

As OP also has an NSX like myself, it is seen on that platform as well. Younger crowd can afford to purchase car, but can't afford the maintenance when unexpected repairs come up.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

I would profer that perhaps there are numerous owners who just drive the cars half-normally and do / have done reasonable maintenance and don't have huge problems... at least under bona fide high mileage.

But maybe I'm naïve and/or stupid.

But I have a business that works in car dealerships a lot and I see them from time to time taken as trades and some of them are really nice. I'll inquire sometimes and more often than not there will at a min. be records of timely belt service(s).

Like the one I bought, from only person I knew who had one new.... actually that's what I thought originally but turned out he got it off a 2 yr. lease.... so kinda like new, anyway he is a Porsche track nut, and I mean a real and very expert one, his wife is too, and they drive the piss out of their cars. They used this one (early VIN = 905122) as a daily in rain, sun or snow for years and years and years in midatlantic area and just did reg. maintenance, kept inside for most part and cleaned reasonably on a reasonable basis, DRC warranty replaced, multiple belt services, water pump, brakes, but hat's it.... and that's normal for any car exDRC.

I've had it for abt. 1.5 years. I don't drive it near as much as they did just bc have other cars etc., which might come back to bite me (now 88k mi.s 2k of which I've put on in abt. last 18 mo.s which is way not enuf I know) Did belts and water pump just when I bought, keep inside climate controlled, but even with periods of long sits w/ just battery tender I've had no problems at all. Valve covers starting to weep a little, prob. from sitting, didn't used to, and sometimes little bit of fluid (like half-dollar sized) somewhere near rear main seal-ish and I think it may have been doing that since I had it, not sure. Trans feels strong (even tho obviously old technology and slushy by nature). I drive it pretty hard, do full rev. full load manual shifts etc.

I think MAYBE the fragility and early demises might be overstated on this forum at least a little bc people on here are always F-ing with them; and while maybe they aren't as fragile as might be painted out to be here, I will def. agree they seemingly pretty much come at the ragged limit from birth trans/TC wise etc.. Not a sermon.... just a thought. Of course this post's karma will prompt immediate full implosion... of well.

All depends on the new owner qualifications as mentioned. I can't work on a car worth crap, but can at least diagnose issues and had a mechanic friend down the street, or I never would have bought this thing. I would say if someone goes in ignorant thinking it will be like a standard Audi, well then, they will learn a serious lesson.

This would be a good sticky for potential new owners.

I've had a bit of free time, and been wanting to document my car along with some new web design and photography, so in a few months I might have a website up focused on the details of the RS6; good, bad, and ugly...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    I am one of the "new" owners....fully aware of the maintenance costs etc (mine has warranty though). I finally bought one after years of contemplating it...but after a lot of research I got the right one. I also have access to a very good independent Audi mechanic. I had a stage 3 A6 2.7T (I know the RS6 is a different animal) but the stage 3 car also required a lot of upkeep.

Which Warranty did you get? Cost?

Quote Originally Posted by SensoRS6 View Post
    Which Warranty did you get? Cost?
    Transferable from PO Fidelity Platinum

I tend to agree for the most part. While I don't exactly fall into this category, I've learned the downside to doing all your own work is that it is unattractive to MOST buyers of this level of car. When and IF you sell, they want a folder of receipts....If not, they walk.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I tend to agree for the most part. While I don't exactly fall into this category, I've learned the downside to doing all your own work is that it is unattractive to MOST buyers of this level of car. When and IF you sell, they want a folder of receipts....If not, they walk.
    I have one of those folders...I look through it and think "wow, I spent how much on that?"...luckily I've had many good deals along the way. And how many Mugello Blue with carbon and black leather are in this world.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

As with any exotic....there are carry costs.

I would agree that most folks buying one have some idea of repairs. The others just quickly trade them off. Big deal

The right car will provide years of proper service. Both my cars are perfect....1 for 7yrs and counting and the other one just needed a transmission. Again, big deal

I dont burn thru rotors, do 95% of the work myself, perform routine maint with the best products and drive with care to the piece.

Some people burn thru cars..some dont.

Buy a car put thru the ringer....expect more repairs. True for a Camry or an RS6.

I walked past a new S6 in the lot today and thought...that car is so plain.

Give me those flared wheel arches, chicken wire grilles, that sound and ohhhhh the power. I will take the RS6....thank you very much. I could care less about what drives the guy down the street to buy his KIA.

LOL

Being a new RS6 owner figured I'd weigh in too.

As mentioned in previous posts I think it boils down to 2 things: your wallet or your mechanical competence. I decided to pick up an RS6 knowing it might be a challenge to repair and that it costs more in parts than many other cars I've owned. Even still I decided to forgo the extended warranty as I feel pretty confident I can tackle any repair the car may need.

All cars have their issues regardless of make.

Be good to the car and maintain it responsibly and you shouldn't have much problem.

As long as someone does their research and know what they're getting into, what's the big deal?? It's not like this is some one-of-a-kind hand made limited edition Pagani or Ferrari... it's a C5 Audi with some unique bolt-ons. All of the parts are reasonably available and replaceable by anyone who's mechanically inclined. Is it more expensive to own than normal cars? Sure. But not ridiculously so, especially if you turn your own wrenches.

I think RSoverAll hit it, or said it more simply than others, you have to have one or the other: $$$ or high mechanical capability. Otherwise, for those without, it shouldn't land on their utility curve shall we say. Although, there is always ramen...

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    I think RSoverAll hit it, or said it more simply than others, you have to have one or the other: $$$ or high mechanical capability. Otherwise, for those without, it shouldn't land on their utility curve shall we say. Although, there is always ramen...
    or a warranty ....

Absolutely, That is why I didn't get another one after mine was put down. Without a good warranty is too big of a risk.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

What if you buy one from a guy on here and already has the needed replacements, manual transmission, all the works? Would it be biting off too much still?