View Poll Results: Are "new to RS6 owners" perhaps biting off too much??

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 46.43%
  • No

7 25.00%
  • Depends on maintenance history of vehicle

7 25.00%
  • Depends on how much the vehicle is driven

1 3.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are "new to RS6 owners" perhaps biting off too much??

I guess it really depends, so many variables.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by DNB01A64.2 View Post
    What if you buy one from a guy on here and already has the needed replacements, manual transmission, all the works? Would it be biting off too much still?
    Well if you have the parts and bits, do you have the tools, time, resources to install the parts and put in the wrench time, that would be my next question... If yes, I'd say you're set... for the most part.

I'm sure the more veteran RS6 guys can give more insight on the wrench time and parts etc.

^Basically what he said. You need a skilled independent mechanic if you can't do all tasks or there's a chance of getting cleaned out. I just had a repair bill that was $4k instead of $2k, hours/parts; but quality work at least. Either get it under warranty or have an extra $5k, per year sometimes, or be a skilled home mechanic. There are ~20 things that could come up and cost good money, and if you drive lots of miles extra maintenance costs. Hard driving and 75hp and 125torque more than stock puts some wear on also...but damn it's fun!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I didn't feel that I was when I purchased the car just over 14 months ago. It was fully serviced with just 67k miles and I got it at a fair price and a very low APR. I had a six figure income and the ability to do my own work, or worst case, hand it off to my close friend who is a Porsche/Audi master tech. Then I took a huge pay cut and I no longer feel comfortable owning a car that could potentially become an expensive garage ornament if something breaks and I don't have much of an "oh-$#!t" fund to cover it. I intend to correct the pay cut as soon as possible so that I can relieve my stress levels. In the meantime, at least I have a second car to drive if mechanical failure rears its ugly head.

if things don't get better financially, well, expect to see a FS listing and I'll be replacing it with an A4 of similar vintage. Gotta have my four rings!
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Yeah... I'd be interested to see the % of current owners who are not mechanically inclined and do not have a second (or more) vehicle. My guess is the amount of current owners who do not meet that criteria is rather small (less than 10%).

Quote Originally Posted by JayB View Post
    Yeah... I'd be interested to see the % of current owners who are not mechanically inclined and do not have a second (or more) vehicle. My guess is the amount of current owners who do not meet that criteria is rather small (less than 10%).
    Should we start a poll for this too

Not a good car for a primary driver without backup....with or w/o mechanical ability. Esp if miles over 130k

Heck, even I'm not that crazy. But my backup is the other RS6. Lol

But the last few years of daily driving a well sorted and gently modded RS6 have been a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by JayB View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

But the last few years of daily driving a well sorted and gently modded RS6 have been a dream.
    Damned straight!

Never hurts to have an extra car. Got a truck now, and a few times had to rent a Carrola from Hertz for $500 a month.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Give me those flared wheel arches, chicken wire grilles, that sound and ohhhhh the power. I will take the RS6....thank you very much. I could care less about what drives the guy down the street to buy his KIA.
    And that is why I am about to hop back aboard the crazy train. New brakes, Level 10 transmission, Koni DRC replacement, timing belt in last 1k miles, new tires, new water pump, EGT sensors, aux fan...and that V8 growl when half the cars in my area are Teslas. For less than the price of a Civic!
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Spare vehicle should have been an standard option. My RS6 has been in rehab for extended stays. The neighbors thought Crazy had been sold several times due to its' ghosting- just to see/hear it show back up....;0

Edit: LOL- Shop called a few minutes ago and said Crazy is ready to come home again
    Last edited by MaxRS6; January 28th, 2015 at 16:04.
    210K miles rolled

Rodney Dangerfield always said, "I just bought the perfect second vehicle - a tow truck!"
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    And that is why I am about to hop back aboard the crazy train. New brakes, Level 10 transmission, Koni DRC replacement, timing belt in last 1k miles, new tires, new water pump, EGT sensors, aux fan...and that V8 growl when half the cars in my area are Teslas. For less than the price of a Civic!
    Great find, glad to hear it!

Yep, the flatbed tow truck always brings my neighbors out, "Audi huh?". I make sure to explain it's a high performance luxury car and this is standard. Free tow for 60 miles from GEICO! At least I get to use my insurance...

If you want to play you have to pay.

That about sums it up.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Rodney Dangerfield always said, "I just bought the perfect second vehicle - a tow truck!"
    Wait, he had an RS6? Ha! Kidding, it's all maintenance, just spendy sometimes, but great luxury bang for the buck!

I'm very used to having a backup vehicle after several years of owning late 80's/early90's Japanese crapcans. Back then it was called "mom's car", though
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Got the B7 S4 or the B5 S4 for backup here!
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Well I agree with all the points made. I've seen a few guys in my area pick up RS6s, only to off load them a short time later once the repair bill came.

Myself, I've owned a B5 S4 for 10 years, and have always had a back up vehicle. Have a 2013 TDI jetta now, and a 2005 F350 6.0 ps, as back ups. But my wife drives the RS, which is not a whole lot as she is a retired stay at home mom now. I'm also a Audi certified tech, with access to Audi special tools and ability to pull from Audis resources should a problem arrive.
    Honestly, what sold me on buying a RS, was once relized that they had timing belts instead of timing chains. Front of the motor timing belts are a breeze compared to rear of the motor timing chain replacement. I always loved the look and performance of them and once I found the perfect one, I was sold.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

I'm one of those new owners.

I'm well aware of the costs of Audi ownership...this is my 9th. I have been dealing with the same Audi/Porsche master mechanic for almost 20 years...not cheap, but nowhere near as expensive as the dealership.

Having said that...I have to make a post about where to source some parts for my mechanic. Had the car delivered to him last week to get items from my PPI addressed.

See you guys around here, now!