Thread: "Camming" the BCY

"Camming" the BCY

Hey Guys, so here's the real reason I logged on today....

Has anyone tried S6 or S8 cams? I'd guess with the lower compression the extra valve lift ought to be a non issue?

In terms of performance, I'd guess it'll help fatten up the mid torque range. Could foresee the turbo's running out of flow on the top-end-- even more so. Bigger turbo's might be a Stage 2 approach to fill any void.

Have a line on a couple sets and based on prior experience in other cars this idea is very appealing....
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

I would imagine it would add power until the turbos run out of steam up top..
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Not necessarily. Turbo cams want to be very mild so there is no overlap between intake and exhaust, whereas NA cams have a lot more overlap to take advantage of pulse tuning the exhaust and intake tracts.

It's my understanding that FI engines benefit from higher lift and a larger duration - not increased overlap. As eluded to in the previous post, because the charge is pressurized, there is no need to utilize scavenging of the spent gases during the exhaust cycle to provide a vacuum and draw in unspent gases on the intake cycle that occurs with a NA engine. Just push in as much as possible, during as long a period of time as possible, without any of it going out the exhaust.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

The reason I'm considering this is due to years of experience on my Callaway Vw. Learn't a few things about turbo's and cams. However, with that said it didn't and doesn't have a pile of sensor inputs to a computer waiting to go into Limp Mode.

Camming a turbo motor is tricky business. But I'm more for increasing VE than shoving hot air into an engine because the boost was cranked up too far with resultant loss of air density.

Back to: Has anyone tried S6 or S8 cams? I'd guess with the lower compression the extra valve lift ought to be a non issue?

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Back to: Has anyone tried S6 or S8 cams?
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31...l=1#post269678