Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 18 of 23

Thread: ecu fried???????

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis,IN USA
    Posts
    226

    ecu fried???????

    my car died as I am driving home, I saw the oil light come on, then the transmission lights up. Car turns over but will not start. Had it towed to a local shop and they are telling me the ecu is showing two codes something about a serial port and one other around ecu error. The car will start briefly and then stop. Apr chipped many years ago and never had any issues. When it died the first time, I tried to take it back to the stock setting on a hunch and obviously I got no response. The shop I took it too can't do anything else so I am having it towed to the shop that updated the chip, an apr reseller.

    Does anybody have any similar experiences?????
    rs6 sold
    2014 s7, audi exclusive 1 interior, black optics, havana black, Apr Stage 1

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    7,780
    Has happened before

    Apr chip pins come loose

    New ecu and apr puts a new chip in

    Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    my car died as I am driving home, I saw the oil light come on, then the transmission lights up. Car turns over but will not start. Had it towed to a local shop and they are telling me the ecu is showing two codes something about a serial port and one other around ecu error. The car will start briefly and then stop. Apr chipped many years ago and never had any issues. When it died the first time, I tried to take it back to the stock setting on a hunch and obviously I got no response. The shop I took it too can't do anything else so I am having it towed to the shop that updated the chip, an apr reseller.

    Does anybody have any similar experiences?????

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis,IN USA
    Posts
    226
    thanks dhall, any idea on cost?
    rs6 sold
    2014 s7, audi exclusive 1 interior, black optics, havana black, Apr Stage 1

  4. #4
    Registered User lswing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Eugene, OR, again...
    Posts
    4,760
    Odd that a few of these APR chips have come loose, certainly for the $2k it is for the tune? I would assume that APR would cover the work for free, just send it back to them, it's already wasting hours of your time, plus tow and mechanic costs.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

  5. #5
    Registered User MaxRS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    2,673
    My APR chip went loose after many moons. My ECU was not toast. I sent the ECU to APR and they repaired/updated software at no cost.
    210K miles rolled

  6. #6
    Registered User marklar182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    768
    ECU uses low melt solder normall,y s0 just use a heat gun on low (carefully) and heat the chip & pins and then press down on the chip an hold for a few seconds.

    I have fixed many ECU and surface mount PCB issues this way.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

  7. #7
    Registered User 10SecS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    357
    Here's the deal. APR still uses dinosaur aged, soldered in chips for their "high end" software as opposed to flashing the ECM. When I say high end I'm referring to the software they charge top buck for, such as the RS6. For security purposes and to deter people from copying, modifying, etc. their code, they solder an EMCS module to the ECM board. It's actually more than a chip; it's an actual processor. Anyway, while it may be a better, more secure solution for them from a prying eyes standpoint, it's much less reliable than simply flashing the ECM (software only, no hardware changes are made). So what typically happens is over time from driving and NVH, one of the pads on the board loses contact with the chip and renders the car inoperable. Sometimes it can be repaired, other times it cannot. In the event that it can be repaired, it's usually a "band aid" fix and it winds up happening again much sooner than the first time. This is why flashing the ECM is a much better and reliable way to go. Hope this helps.
    I tune RS6s. Smooth, powerful, safe & affordable. Proven results. PM me for more info
    Mugello Blue RS6 \ 206K Miles \ Tune Only \ 11.93 @ 116.9 \ http://y2u.be/TqE3-JzYCig \ Daytona Grey RS6 \ Tune, Decatted & Exhaust \ 11.59 @ 118.6 \ http://y2u.be/hqawHXwWcOU

  8. #8
    Registered User lswing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Eugene, OR, again...
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    Here's the deal. APR still uses dinosaur aged, soldered in chips for their "high end" software as opposed to flashing the ECM. When I say high end I'm referring to the software they charge top buck for, such as the RS6. For security purposes and to deter people from copying, modifying, etc. their code, they solder an EMCS module to the ECM board. It's actually more than a chip; it's an actual processor. Anyway, while it may be a better, more secure solution for them from a prying eyes standpoint, it's much less reliable than simply flashing the ECM (software only, no hardware changes are made). So what typically happens is over time from driving and NVH, one of the pads on the board loses contact with the chip and renders the car inoperable. Sometimes it can be repaired, other times it cannot. In the event that it can be repaired, it's usually a "band aid" fix and it winds up happening again much sooner than the first time. This is why flashing the ECM is a much better and reliable way to go. Hope this helps.
    So you're saying it should have been flashed with your tune in the first place Empty your inbox if you haven't, some folks were looking for you. Good info, thanks!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

  9. #9
    Registered User nistah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    564

    Thumbs down Apr

    Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    Here's the deal. APR still uses dinosaur aged, soldered in chips for their "high end" software as opposed to flashing the ECM.
    I spoke to the APR rep @ H2O last year and he quoted me $2650 for APR's RS6 tune and that was the "sale" price. Unless I missed something it appears that APR is using last generation technology and charging $2000 more than other vendors who offer similar tunes delivered with more current ecu flash technology.
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

  10. #10
    Registered User orcars6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern Cal.
    Posts
    90
    Yes, if any remember my stock ECU fried last Dec. 2014- it was thus replaced with new from factory in Germany. The only explanation was water damage on ABS harness effected ECU and shorted electrical wiring and fried ECU....ABS and vacuum pump were replaced along with ECU. Costs were covered by Fidelity approx. $2,500.00 ECU at dealership. I can dig out paperwork if you like? Every error imaginable was reading and car was brought back from the dead!

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis,IN USA
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    Here's the deal. APR still uses dinosaur aged, soldered in chips for their "high end" software as opposed to flashing the ECM. When I say high end I'm referring to the software they charge top buck for, such as the RS6. For security purposes and to deter people from copying, modifying, etc. their code, they solder an EMCS module to the ECM board. It's actually more than a chip; it's an actual processor. Anyway, while it may be a better, more secure solution for them from a prying eyes standpoint, it's much less reliable than simply flashing the ECM (software only, no hardware changes are made). So what typically happens is over time from driving and NVH, one of the pads on the board loses contact with the chip and renders the car inoperable. Sometimes it can be repaired, other times it cannot. In the event that it can be repaired, it's usually a "band aid" fix and it winds up happening again much sooner than the first time. This is why flashing the ECM is a much better and reliable way to go. Hope this helps.
    no you trying to sell your tune doesn't help at all.
    rs6 sold
    2014 s7, audi exclusive 1 interior, black optics, havana black, Apr Stage 1

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis,IN USA
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by orcars6 View Post
    Yes, if any remember my stock ECU fried last Dec. 2014- it was thus replaced with new from factory in Germany. The only explanation was water damage on ABS harness effected ECU and shorted electrical wiring and fried ECU....ABS and vacuum pump were replaced along with ECU. Costs were covered by Fidelity approx. $2,500.00 ECU at dealership. I can dig out paperwork if you like? Every error imaginable was reading and car was brought back from the dead!
    2500 ouch, my warranty expired in december.
    rs6 sold
    2014 s7, audi exclusive 1 interior, black optics, havana black, Apr Stage 1

  13. #13
    Registered User Bigglezworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    no you trying to sell your tune doesn't help at all.
    Woah horsey... No where in the feedback is there anything about selling a tune. Simply experience talking from someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to ECU flashing vs. ECU modifying.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

  14. #14
    Registered User 10SecS4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    357
    I couldn't sell him my tune even if he wanted it... His ECU would need a stock EPROM for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Woah horsey... No where in the feedback is there anything about selling a tune. Simply experience talking from someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to ECU flashing vs. ECU modifying.
    I tune RS6s. Smooth, powerful, safe & affordable. Proven results. PM me for more info
    Mugello Blue RS6 \ 206K Miles \ Tune Only \ 11.93 @ 116.9 \ http://y2u.be/TqE3-JzYCig \ Daytona Grey RS6 \ Tune, Decatted & Exhaust \ 11.59 @ 118.6 \ http://y2u.be/hqawHXwWcOU

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    30
    @dab - hopefully you get it figured out and it doesn't torpedo your finances at the same time. In my experience, it seems that I always spend the most money on my cars just before I sell them...part bad timing / part not wanting to sell someone else a problem that I have...but, I've also benefited from others "investing" heavily in cars they have then sold me, so I guess it all comes full circle.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    7,780
    This would be the route to go first before spending cash on a new ecu. It still may need the ecu but may as well try this first......cant hurt.

    If it needs newecu then car has to go to dealer for immob coding

    If not....then anyone can r and r the ecu and send it in..

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    My APR chip went loose after many moons. My ECU was not toast. I sent the ECU to APR and they repaired/updated software at no cost.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis,IN USA
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdubs View Post
    @dab - hopefully you get it figured out and it doesn't torpedo your finances at the same time. In my experience, it seems that I always spend the most money on my cars just before I sell them...part bad timing / part not wanting to sell someone else a problem that I have...but, I've also benefited from others "investing" heavily in cars they have then sold me, so I guess it all comes full circle.
    No kidding both of my vehicles are up for sale, both are 2003 and both are costing me cash.
    rs6 sold
    2014 s7, audi exclusive 1 interior, black optics, havana black, Apr Stage 1

  18. #18
    Registered User Bigglezworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    No kidding both of my vehicles are up for sale, both are 2003 and both are costing me cash.
    I empathize. I have a trio of these rides and after overhauling the one last year find myself overhauling the second this year. lol Have always said it's not an affordable car to own if you need to rely on a second party to perform the work.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •