Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRNDS on solid - cranks over but won't start

PRNDS on solid - cranks over but won't start

Hi all,
    I hopped in my rs6 a couple weeks back and it cranks no problem, but won't start. I noticed that PRNDS were all lit up solid, no blinking. After some time and fiddling, PRNDS went away and she fired right up. On the way home about 15 minutes later under light acceleration it felt like the trans popped in to neutral and again PRNDS. More fiddling/time and again it went away and I drove uneventfully for about 2 weeks.

Then 2 days ago while driving at a steady 30 MPH again it feels like it pops in to neutral and PRNDS. Managed to get PRNDS to go away and made it home, grabbed vagcom and it just shut off on its own and hasn't started since - PRNDS and radiator fans running full speed. Have not noticed any slippage at any point in the tranny, always pulled strong to date. Clicking over 106,000 miles, had it since 60k and maintained well.

I have reseated the ECM/relays under the hood, checked all the fuses and am going to reseat the TCM today and check for moisture. This time, no luck getting PRNDS to go way. Oddly the radiator fans turn on after maybe 15-20 seconds once the key is turned and run continuously. I have read about the sensor under the shifter and will be looking at that as well, but the fans running makes me think its not as simple as that. Loose wire somewhere??

The missing ECU errors are concerning, but not totally sure if that could mean the one under the hood on drivers side, or the transmission one under the passenger seat.

Would be grateful for some guidance where I should focus my attention first.

Vagcom showing:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01L-927-156.lbl
    Part No: 4B0 927 156 FL
    Component: AG5 01L 4.2l5VT USA 0305
    Coding: 0000002
    Shop #: WSC 00000 785 00200
    VCID: 76E99E52022A2D91457-513C

1 Fault Found:
    18258 - Powertrain Data Bus
    P1850 - 003 - Missing Message from ECU

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 4B0-614-517.lbl
    Part No: 4B0 614 517 AD
    Component: ESP 5.7 RS 6 2310
    Coding: 06697
    Shop #: WSC 00000
    VCID: 63CFD706F1B8A839129-513C

2 Faults Found:
    P1850 - 35-00 - Missing Message from ECU
    P1850 - 35-00 - Missing Message from ECU

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: None
    Part No: 4B0 820 043 AM
    Component: 4B0820043AM A6-Klimavoll
    VCID: 74EDA45A44563F817B3-2580

3 Faults Found:
    01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)
    41-10 - Blocked or No Voltage - Intermittent
    01314 - Engine Control Module
    49-00 - No Communications
    01206 - Signal for Duration of Ignition Off Time
    27-00 - Implausible Signal

Address 56: Radio Labels: 8E0-035-192-RNSE.lbl
    Part No SW: 4B0 035 192 P HW: 4B0 035 192 P
    Component: RNS-E US3 H49 X---
    Revision: 05S Serial number: AUZBZ7E1116664
    Coding: 0509613
    Shop #: WSC 32093 133 55480
    VCID: 2A517A228612397111F-5178

4 Faults Found:
    00858 - Connection; Radio Intermediate Frequency (IF) Output to Antenna Amplifier
    011 - Open Circuit
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01101011
    Fault Priority: 5
    Fault Frequency: 3
    Reset counter: 103
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2015.01.08
    Time: 09:18:41

Freeze Frame:
    Mileage: 655350 km
    Count: 801
    Clock: 09:23

00852 - Loudspeaker(s); Front
    011 - Open Circuit
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01101011
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 63
    Time: 09:18:17

00857 - CD Changer Unit (R41)
    004 - No Signal/Communication
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01100100
    Time: 09:19:07

02005 - Coding Pin
    004 - No Signal/Communication
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01100100
    Time: 09:18:27

I appreciate any and all help!

Bren

Trans wiring harness

Bulk connector at trans and tcu

Didn't this just happen to kraut(?), similar circumstances. Water logged TCU? It's easy to get to, just pull up passenger carpet railing lift carpet. You could also lift the cowl just below the windshield and check the big drain plug and main fuse area on passenger side.

As mentioned, that bulk connector can loosen and get water/junk and corrode.

Best of luck!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Yup just happened to me...nearly same codes. Check for a water logged TCU under the passenger carpet.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

This happened to John (Audi5000csqt):
    the connection under the center console where the shifter connects to wiring harness was either frayed (sic) or partially connected.
    I remember that Fidelity covered it but it was not cheap.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    This happened to John (Audi5000csqt):
    the connection under the center console where the shifter connects to wiring harness was either frayed (sic) or partially connected.
    I remember that Fidelity covered it but it was not cheap.
    Probably required the entire engine and tranny to be removed.....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Much appreciated, will pull the carpet, check it out and update when I've checked it out. Thx!

In my case, I had at least 3-4 inches of water under the carpet. PRNDS was lit, car would drive in safe mode, which I think is third gear. Had to get another TCU, found a MTM chipped one for 300.
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Probably required the entire engine and tranny to be removed.....
    Winner Winner Gluten Free Chicken Dinner!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

did you check the ECU fuse as well? i had that once and it was the ECU fuse which had blown due to a short on the engine wiring, one of the spark plug connectors had shattered and pins inside were no longer isolated....same error message "Missing Message from ECU", so it makes me think there is something wrong with your ECU and not TCU, as both your ABS and TCU have the same error message....

either way let us know what you discover under the carpet regarding the TCU.
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

So no moisture at all at or around the TCU, pulled the connector and it looks brand new- TCU board looks fine as well visibly. Checked ECU fuses at driver door and the 40 amp one thats right next to the ecu under the hood - all good.

Next steps are pulling the center console and checking the wiring there, and the sensor which detects which gear the shifter is in. And checking the trans wiring hardness at the trans per DHall. Short of that, anything else I might check before I tow to the shop?

I've been gathering all the parts for the the 01e conversion over the last year and a half waiting for that fateful day the trans goes. Been fortunate thus for to have no mechanical issues aside from just regular maintenance in 4.5 years or so. Pretty sure I have everything but the shifter trim/knob, clutch, and the transmission brackets/mounting right. If she's going to the shop, then its time to get the conversion done, I've been waiting for an excuse! I'm just across the Golden Gate bridge from SFO, any suggestions on a local guy/shop that can do that job would be very much appreciated. I understand Avant Werks in Truckee, CA is capable, I'm going to call them on Monday but its a bit on the far side @ 3.5 hours away.

Thx again for all the input!

Are you chipped? My APR chip came loose and the car would crank but not start. Chip soldered back in and all good.
    210K miles rolled

Might wanna check your connections at the main ecu as well, make sure there's no viable damage. Cooling fans coming on could mean theres a cooling system fault as well. But I didn't see it listed the list you posted.
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Are you chipped? My APR chip came loose and the car would crank but not start. Chip soldered back in and all good.

I had the APR chip for about 25 days. During that time for the first time since I'd owned it I started having strange trans things - mis shifts, trans error on dash which I would clear only to have them come back in a few days. That's when I began gathering parts for the 01e conversion. In the end I sent back the APR chip for a refund (it was a pricey chip anyway, and I came to the realization that I wanted to go manual when trans goes anyway which means I'd have to get flashed from someone else cuz apr doesn't do manual with their flash). Since the APR was removed, I haven't had a trans issue since in about 1.5 years.

Is the bulk connector for the trans visible from underneath the car (without dropping everything :-))? I checked everything that is visible from below and all connectors look good/clean.

I did pull the shifter to check the magnetic sensor in there for cracks and it looks fine as far as I can tell. The gear indicators all work as I move the shifter through the gears.

MAIN SYMPTOMS:
    1. After key is turned on, the "step on brake" light next to P on the shifter turns on, the immediately turns off (with a click at both on and off). On for like a 1/2 second
    2. PRDNS lights up after "step on brake" goes off
    3. Radiator fans go on full after about 10 seconds
    4. Turns over but doesn't start

Codes were mentioned above. My feeling is the ECU is gonzo. When I vagcom > Select Control Module > Option 01-Engine under Common, I get a "No response from Controller" error. Everything else I have checked in there, granted not everything, I get at least a response. I did pull the ECU and all solder points look ok.

I'm stumped! Should I check any relays under the steering wheel that may be related to the ECU? I did open up the 219 relay next to the ECU it is working.

So your VAGCOM won't even communicate with the main ecu?
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Drop another ECU in and see I guess. Sounds like your trans is weak/toast though, can't handle the greatly increased torque. Both of my trans fails had similar symptoms.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

lswing, i only had the trans issues while the apr chip was in, and haven't had any issues in a year and a half tranny wise--- been fine.

Correct, no response from ECU when I vagcom > Select Control Module > Option 01-Engine under Common. Are there any relays I could check that might make the ecu unresponsive?

Anyone have a spare ECU I can try that lives near San Francisco?? I have an '01 S4 but its a 6 speed manual, kinda thinking it wouldn't be a good idea to put that in...

150 extra torque does strange things...hope you can get an extra ecu in there, maybe someone will chime in!