Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RS6 Cold Air Intake Options

Hybrid View

RS6 Cold Air Intake Options

I want to start throwing around ideas on creating different options that we could use to get more air into the engine without trying to come up with one option. I would like to be able to look in one place when I am day dreaming about intakes instead of looking in multiple places.

As some people will have 450hp then there isn't much reason to look for radical ideas, maybe just something to increase the stock box flow.

As we move up in HP more radical options come into play.

With some CAI options including modifications to the hood then a relevant discussion of heat dissipation techniques through hood venting would have a point in this thread.

I spoke to Terry Griffin at Griffin Motorwerke in Berkeley. He has done some basic upgrades to his RS6. Revo stage 2...I don't care about Revo opinions... diverters, probably some upgraded air filters, high flow cats. He is willing to run the car on the dyno with and without the intake air tubing to the airbox.

As I am paying 100.00 for this run I would like to know if anyone has any input into the run itself. I figure it is a simple as run with and run without. Then I want him to run with the airbox open from the top. We will make sure there is no heat soak issue but I don't think so with such short amount of runs... I could be wrong. Is there anything that I am thinking wrong about here??

I might even ask him to put the FMU unit on. I don't know if he wants to do that though.

I am waiting on a response from EPL to see if they actually have some larger MAF kit.

I am not actually clear on how relevant this information will be for someone making bigger HP...550+.

Is the dyno at his shop? Put good gas in it

Need vag data log in turbo mode. 3 31 115

Warm car to operating temps....park it at dyno for 1hr w/hood open....fan on it if poss....take out ducts.

Perform sneaky ecu reset......key on....gas pedal to floor 5sec........key off.........then release gas pedal. Leave sit 5min.

Strap it on and make 2 runs.

Let it cool w fans and put the ducts on..2 more runs.

I doubt he has ME logger. Vagcom will have to do.

I would do the test as noted below and just remove the connectors between the silver ducts and housings.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

Warm car to operating temps....park it at dyno for 1hr w/hood open....fan on it if poss....take out ducts.

Perform sneaky ecu reset......key on....gas pedal to floor 5sec........key off.........then release gas pedal. Leave sit 5min.

What values will be logged during these 3 groups in vag-com ?
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8

Terry was not familiar with what you are asking for as for the VAG settings... Could you clarify?

He had it installed over the summer. It is a Mustang. I don't know what model but will find out.

Attachment 15830
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10557270_746727928702188_8870109648321458812_n.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	15831  

I'd be interested to see the data. All these intake options out there and no proof whether or not they improve airflow over the seemingly efficient factory unit. I'm not one of those people who believes that "a German engineer made it, therefore it cannot possibly be improved upon by the aftermarket", but without some numbers to back it up we're basically just guessing.

We have the following aftermarket options available:

-Fluid Motor Union
    -Apikol
    -Dahlback Racing
    -Gruppe M ($4,700 for an intake? Get f**ked!)
    -(others?)

Have any of them been dyno-tested?
    Last edited by Turbowned; January 2nd, 2015 at 18:50.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

I am going to ask Terry if he would be willing to use his car as a test mule. He seems to be getting quite a few RS6s passing through. It can only increase his business. If people wanted to send the units to him maybe he could put them on his car. He might tell me no way but I will ask.

Here is his FB page for people who don't know who I am talking about.

https://www.facebook.com/Griffin.Motorwerke

Just as an aside Terry has been a F1 photographer for about 15 years and now he is a fully credentialed F1 photograper..... He definitely is an interesting guy...and is as un PC as you get living smack in the middle of PC Berkeley. I love talking to T. He is who hooked me up with Lee Schwartz of Flow Tech in North Carolina.

PC = Politically Correct

I have some ideas after looking over the champion setups. Need to go out in the garage

Take out the under hood cowl seal and cover
    Take out the 2x2 rubber plug on the cowl divider
    Take out the black accordion connectors to the stock air cleaner.

Leave the silver ducts

Post test butt dyno says yes. Logs look good but it pulls smooth thru 2nd and 3rd gears from butt dyno impressions
    Last edited by DHall1; January 4th, 2015 at 22:44.

Thread jack = I know Terry. I lived in bay area 7 years in late 90s / early 2000s. I bought / ordered a pair of racing Recaros from him for one of my 951s/944 Turbos. That was prob. 2001/2. I remember when I went to go pick them up he had one of those 60s/70s super multi window VW busses in his shop. A super mint one. Then years later I saw him I think at least twice manning a Recaro display at SEMA. And maybe they had Hella in that same display seems like I might remember?

It is so cool how so many people keep messing with these low production and now pretty damn old RS6s. Kind of makes me feel lame. I just drive mine lol. And its early VIN 85kish mi.s, all stock except RS4 wheels, just maintained and OEM shock system recall-replaced just before I got it couple years ago from Porsche Club Racing friend / orig. owner who just used it as daily.

Whenever I think about messing with it I just come on here and read around a little and invariably walk away thinking... ain't broke don't fix it lol

Did you forget your meds again?!?
    I have some ideas after looking over the champion setups. Need to go out in the garage

Leave the silver ducts

Post test butt dyno says yes. Logs look good but it pulls smooth thru 2nd and 3rd gears from butt dyno impressions
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Need more test subjects.

Takes 5 minutes

[QQUOTE=DHall1;270114]I have some ideas after looking over the champion setups. Need to go out in the garage

Leave the silver ducts

Post test butt dyno says yes. Logs look good but it pulls smooth thru 2nd and 3rd gears from butt dyno impressions[/QUOTE]

Leave the silver ducts

Is this how you run normally? Does this help with power, wouldn't you be sucking more engine heat in without the black accordion connectors?

The ducts are still there to direct some air to the box...but yes some air is pulled from under hood. Thus the reason to open up the cowl area.

This is the test. It feels good so far and only run this in cool weather. I have a plan for hot weather

Quote Originally Posted by SensoRS6 View Post
    Is this how you run normally? Does this help with power, wouldn't you be sucking more engine heat in without the black accordion connectors?

The ducts are still there to direct some air to the box...but yes some air is pulled from under hood. Thus the reason to open up the cowl area.

This is the test. It feels good so far and only run this in cool weather. I have a plan for hot weather
    I will try it next week when they finish installing my new transmission.

^^^Yea, but it's so slow in stock form Can't resist messing with any car...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Yep, I ran out last week.

Cowl seal removal allows heat to escape out from under the hood. heat was really escaping from under the rear of the cowl

Leaving the silver ducts allows cool air to be directed to the open air cleaner housings. But if more volume is needed the open housing has no restriction.

I'm not an engineer, but I did okay with physics back in the day. I do believe that there is no restriction in air flow for any portion of the air cleaner assembly. Remember that air can be compressed and does in fact compress as it passes through the runners that lead from the grille to the airbox. Just like a carburator has air venturi's, so do the runners for the airbox. High pressure/low velocity as it passes through the grille area, then low pressure/high velocity as it passes through the silver ducting, and then finally, back to high pressure/lowe velocity as it enters the air box. Misconception that the grey ducts are restricting air. Same volume of air still getting from point A to point B. I have no doubt that the sum of both airbox ducts provides ample CFM to feed a 4.2L engine being pressurized by more than 20psi.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	venturi.jpg 
Views:	1585 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	15836
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down