Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RS6 Cold Air Intake Options

Quote Originally Posted by Del Stator View Post
    ME7logger??
    With me7logger you can logg everything on the engine at the same time, with vag-com you can only log 3 groups.
    Here you can read about it:
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25...ight=me7logger

But it took awhile for me to get it up and running and to understand how it works.
    But now I use ME7logger every time i want to log a run.

Here you can see some logs from me:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CamshaftAngle.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	15840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mph1.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	15842  
    Last edited by RS8; January 6th, 2015 at 10:15.
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Is the dyno at his shop? Put good gas in it

Need vag data log in turbo mode. 3 31 115
    What values will be logged during these 3 groups in vag-com ?
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8

Need more test subjects.

Takes 5 minutes

[QQUOTE=DHall1;270114]I have some ideas after looking over the champion setups. Need to go out in the garage

Take out the under hood cowl seal and cover
    Take out the 2x2 rubber plug on the cowl divider
    Take out the black accordion connectors to the stock air cleaner.

Leave the silver ducts

Post test butt dyno says yes. Logs look good but it pulls smooth thru 2nd and 3rd gears from butt dyno impressions[/QUOTE]

Back in Arkansas I and I bought a house!

Next week I will get with Terry and get stuff moving.

I would like to hear more butt dyno results as well..

Just my two cents... I have the Apikol intake, it's cheaply made, didn't give me any butt Dyno results and on the lowest temp track day I ran my slowest 1/4 mile times in the past year. Does make cool sound when flooring it tho.
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

I like the idea of cowl induction. Ideally, a cowl hood. However, a simple shoebox with a rectangular filter sitting on the MAF tubes ducted back into the cowl area through that sheet metal would work as well. Probably noisy for some, but wouldn't cook all the air the way that big stock box does. I'd try it myself if I could think of a good way to mount the sensors

Apikol, doesn't that thing suck all the hot air from under the hood?

Little off topic....I have had heat soak causing loss of power and difficulty down-shifting at the track (tail end of 25 minute sessions on a hot day). I plan to simply try a simple intercooler sprayer.

I have some ideas after looking over the champion setups. Need to go out in the garage

Take out the under hood cowl seal and cover
    Take out the 2x2 rubber plug on the cowl divider
    Take out the black accordion connectors to the stock air cleaner.

Leave the silver ducts

Post test butt dyno says yes. Logs look good but it pulls smooth thru 2nd and 3rd gears from butt dyno impressions

Is this how you run normally? Does this help with power, wouldn't you be sucking more engine heat in without the black accordion connectors?

The ducts are still there to direct some air to the box...but yes some air is pulled from under hood. Thus the reason to open up the cowl area.

This is the test. It feels good so far and only run this in cool weather. I have a plan for hot weather

Quote Originally Posted by SensoRS6 View Post
    Is this how you run normally? Does this help with power, wouldn't you be sucking more engine heat in without the black accordion connectors?

The ducts are still there to direct some air to the box...but yes some air is pulled from under hood. Thus the reason to open up the cowl area.

This is the test. It feels good so far and only run this in cool weather. I have a plan for hot weather
    I will try it next week when they finish installing my new transmission.

Is the dyno at his shop? Put good gas in it

Need vag data log in turbo mode. 3 31 115

Warm car to operating temps....park it at dyno for 1hr w/hood open....fan on it if poss....take out ducts.

Perform sneaky ecu reset......key on....gas pedal to floor 5sec........key off.........then release gas pedal. Leave sit 5min.

Strap it on and make 2 runs.

Let it cool w fans and put the ducts on..2 more runs.
    Terry was not familiar with what you are asking for as for the VAG settings... Could you clarify?

Data log blocks 3, 31, 115

Before you select the log blocks....the (turbo) button MUST be selected. Otherwise the data capture rate is much slower.

Silly rabbits....air in...air out....The turbo is your restriction, not your intake/air box...If there was an appreciable improvement from an intake, someone would have already made their millions. This has been done a lot, and so far, no one has provided any REAL data that ANY other intake than stock is an improvement. This is just my observation, I really hope you guys find something more than a few HP.

I have bigger turbos and will have even bigger turbos so I am looking for the next restriction in the chain...

You guys all kill me. This is NOT a NA ride. Increasing air flow to the turbos is a fruitless effort as the amount of air that passes through the turbine is restricted by diameter of the inlet on the turbine housing. It's THAT simple. That diameter is smaller than the diameter of the pipes feeding the turbo. Making those pipes any larger simply isn't going to help. If you are able to stuff in a larger turbo with a larger diameter turbine, then yes you can benefit from a slightly larger air feed, but you will still always limited by the restriction point at the inlet of the turbo.

Tag - you're it...
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    You guys all kill me. This is NOT a NA ride. Increasing air flow to the turbos is a fruitless effort as the amount of air that passes through the turbine is restricted by diameter of the inlet on the turbine housing. It's THAT simple. That diameter is smaller than the diameter of the pipes feeding the turbo. Making those pipes any larger simply isn't going to help. If you are able to stuff in a larger turbo with a larger diameter turbine, then yes you can benefit from a slightly larger air feed, but you will still always limited by the restriction point at the inlet of the turbo.

Tag - you're it...
    Forget it Tim...

Apparently no one has seen the compressor wheel of an RS6 turbocharger...it's about the size of a quarter. Doesn't anyone wonder why no one publishes dyno or real world results of RS6 intake solutions? It's because they would never sell one. I dyno'd my car with NO air box at 15psi.....0 improvement. It was 60 degrees in the shop when we did it. Sucking hot air...nope. Intake air temp was consistent. Why would you waste the time or money in getting more air in, when those tiny little compressors are barely maxxing out the stock intake. All you get is noise. It's a placebo effect...if you felt something, it was your panties ruffling.... Spend your money elsewhere....lighter wheels do more for performance than an intake on this car...

Now, to be fair, what an intake MAY do is reduce the MASS of hot equipment under the hood, resulting in less LOSS of power, which is not what I experienced, but I suppose it could happen...