Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Del Stator RS6 Build Thread V 2.0

Del Stator RS6 Build Thread V 2.0

I am going to start a second thread as the next phase of development is basically all new build.

I am shooting for something north of 700hp. I am not number hunting. I want a car that is streetable. One I can take a 500 mile trip in and feel confident. One I can drive down to the grocery store without too much fuss. One I can go have a track day in with confidence.

The car will be registered in Arkansas so it will have zero emissions testing done.

Here is a link to my first attempt to get what I wanted.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26...lts?highlight=

It was a very nice and potent outcome. But the issue is that I should of installed a 6sp from the start. As nice as the 517 shifted and felt it still felt like an automatic dinosaur trying to do the work of a real transmission...

To recap, I am a rotary guy. I know my way around RX7s and am new to Audi and V8TT....well not as new but still feel lost in lots of this stuff and not really knowing this car very much. I really haven't had my hands on it much of the time I have owned it. My other current ongoing build is a 1989 RX7 GTUs with a supercharged 4 rotor going in. That has been going for 6 years... Definitely where my home is...

This is what I got on the previous dyno runs with the 517 transmission and EPL tune.

417whp / 571ftlbs

So this is my list of parts on the first build up.

Here are the specs:

- 2003 Avus Silver/Ebony/Carbon Inter. 59k miles

- Build Shop: Griffin Motorwerke Berkeley California http://www.g-werke.com/

- European Performance Lab new upgraded RS6 Turbos; Custom compressor wheel and housing, Tweeked exhaust wheel, Friction work done to the shaft, modified wastegates http://www.eplabs.net/

- European Performance Lab modified fuel injectors

- Tuned by Tony of EPL remotely

- Dyno runs done in Santa Rosa, California at Fine Line Imports. Miles of Fine Line was running the dyno and loaded files, did runs and sent logs back to Tony. Subaru tuning is Fine Line's specialty. http://www.finelineimports.net/

- Wagner Upgraded Intercoolers

- Okada Plasma Direct Coil On Plug http://www.okadaprojects.com/usa/products_direct.htm

- Fluid Motor Union Intake……..and no, I don't have before and after dyno figures.http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/performance

- Full Milltek Exhaust non resonated

- STE PPD information display http://www.getste.com/

- 517 Built Transmission and TC http://517trans.com/

- MTM TCU

- Aquamist 100% Methanol Injection

- Aces IV gas treatment and Aces IV-A Methanol treatment This was mainly done to help over come in any possible way the garbage gasoline we have in California. 91 octane crap.

- Apikol Engine, Transmission and Differential mounts. Both blue and red…don't remember what is where.

- Sterns Upper and Lower Control Arms

- Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers

- Loba built AP Racing 390mm brake rotors

- Loba modified C6 RS6 (Euro) brake calipers. These calipers were on some Lambos.. I think they started using Brembo calipers later. Then they discontinued the kit and only sell C5 RS6 rotors.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4406915&type=1

- Phaeton brake duct mod

- Sportec Lower Air Vent Modification http://motorsports.chrismore.com/201...ification.html

- Hotchkis Sway Bars

- Hartmann HRS4-252-GS 20"x9" I wanted to get Forgelines for the car but just don't want to spend the money now…..maybe never.

- Vredestein Vorti 265/30/20 tires I got a killer deal so I thought I would try them. Some really love these tires.

- Passport 9500ci Radar Detection System

- Pioneer/JL Audio audio system We also used Dynomat inside the trunk and rear quarters.

- Stephencl Carbon Fibre Air Splitter

I have sold my 517 transmission. I have the complete RS6 engine with turbos and EPL tuned ecu for sale as a unit for now. It is obviously tuned with 100% methanol. I am not sure if I am going to separate anything off of the engine. I have someone who has shown interest in the entire package. I will see if anything actually transpires with that lead.

I am having a S8 block built so that no adapter plate is needed. I will be able to use a twin disc clutch with this set up.

I will get more information about my current engine build once I get my engine, head and valve information straight in my own head.

It looks like you bought everything you could find your car, nice!

Basically you can use S8 engine block and heads, but need RS6 crankshaft, oil pump, oil pan and intake manifold.
    You can also use the RS6 pistons in your S8 engine block, they will hold for 7-1000hp, If you do not have scratches in it so it must be drilled.

Basically you need forged conrods and better valves,
    and then new RS6 piston rings, new bearings and gaskets in the S8 engine, then you will be able to have up to 1000hp.

Once you have access to your S8 engine block, so can I show what differentiates in between them = what you have to do to put on the RS6 parts on it.
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8

Sub'd, the more pictures the better

Is this S8 Block from a US spec'd D2 car?

R8, I knew some things had to change over but didn't know the extent or all of the reasons. I am now going to get more involved in my own build.

I got the block from Scotty of Advanced Automotion. He is doing the install and building the engine and transmission. He buys lots of European spec vehicles and has them shipped to US. I don't actually know at this moment if it is US or Euro.

I have been sort of hands off in this cars progress through Griffin and now AA. I was hoping to just spend some money and get a badass car. That sounds OK but it doesn't really work. My RX7 has been about the journey. The RS6 was more about the end product but I see that is a recipe for dissatisfaction. So I am going to turn this car project into a worthwhile journey.

As you see, I have bought a truck load of parts and they worked very well together but moving up into the HP territory I am looking for is going to take more than bolting in a catalog of parts.

I have almost not pictures of the process when Griffin Motorewerke of Berkeley Ca did his work. This is all I can find on my computer.

I didn't really want these wheels but had to have something immediately. Nice but a little to common..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1900670_654447521263563_981670278_o.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	15770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 Terry Shot.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	15767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6frontside.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	15769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	999571_561607307214252_1994553437_n.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	15768  

New items for install and modification. This stuff is mostly all been bought. It is just a matter of getting everything together and installed.

JE Pistons .50 overbore at 85mm 8.5 CR
    Pauter rifle drilled rods
    S8 Block being bored and sleeved
    Fully built heads from Lee Schwartz of Flow Tech
    Ferrea valves
    Upgraded valve springs
    Might upgrade cam shafts.. Up to Lee
    Looking to increase red line up around 8k maybe
    Custom headers using stock attachment points
    Custom fuel injectors
    Surge Tank with Bosch 044
    Intank Bosch 044
    Most likely TTE (The Turbo Engineers) custom turbos Simon Sharp
    Wavetracs front and rear
    Built 01E with custom gear set
    Thinking Custom Clutch Master Twin Disc 850

Remove Auxiliary Radiators
    Remove SAI
    Move battery and methanol tank into spare wheel area
    Heated Recaro Sportster CS
    Might get Forgeline wheels but I don't know....enough is enough...maybe
    Move Carbon Canister under fender well as in Euro car
    Remove all emission related items
    MTM hood vents
    Modify CAI somehow.

Any interesting ideas I am open to.
    Last edited by Del Stator; December 28th, 2014 at 22:26.

Wonder why they're overbore/sleeving the block? Seems the stock block/piston size is good to 800-1k HP that I've seen in the other epic build thread on here. Seems that money could have been put towards a carbon clutch setup, as the other guy also ran outta clutch with the 850... maybe put that money into custom grind cams...

You don't need a carbon canister if you remove all the emissions on these things right? I'd add some -8an fittings and a decent catch can to the mix, the fluid motor union car did this because of boost issues.

Maybe a wire tuck

Wire tuck will be done. Nothing too extensive.

I have heard people having fuel smell issues when removing a carbon canister. I don't know the details...

I have lower compression pistons going in 8.5 CR. If I am building the block up I wanted to have a new block basically. I didn't want to reuse the same holes. That was my decision. Plus it really isn't very much money compared to other aspects of the build.

I am not sure about using a carbon clutch. I hear they work well but have a very short life. I haven't delved into that much yet. Just conversation with Clutch Masters. I haven't bought a clutch yet.

All of the fuel lines with be upgraded. That sort of stuff is just understood. I haven't typed out every single aspect of the project. I actually hate doing build threads.

Lee Schwartz has a buddy that makes custom cnc'd cams for all sorts of racing teams. He works with Audi rally and other racing teams and has a lot of information on Audi cam profiles so Lee will make a call on that.

I won't be not doing something because I did something else. I have pretty much committed to this ridiculous build and will do what it take to get what it needs to be right.

Yea, the Carbon Canister doesn't really add much weight and it doesn't rob Horsepower like the SAI, and Cats. With the Canister intact you can still run the sealed gas cap, otherwise you will have to go to a vented gas cap/fuel system.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Yea, the Carbon Canister doesn't really add much weight and it doesn't rob Horsepower like the SAI, and Cats. With the Canister intact you can still run the sealed gas cap, otherwise you will have to go to a vented gas cap/fuel system.
    Would that possibly led to a code being thrown?

I had a ongoing code issue.....don't remember exactly what the number was but about evap system. I was told to install new fuel cap which didn't fix the code. It would continue to come back after it was cleared.

But just wondering if removing the CC would possibly create such an issue?

Personally I like the idea of having it but tucked under the front fender liner as Euro cars.

I won't be getting one of these but it sure is cool.

This is Terry Griffin of Griffin Motorwerke with an 11 pound battery! It is a Braille Battery with 1340 cold crank amps and retails for $1680.00.

Name:	10848600_791227297585584_7633821638019138509_o.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	15771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10842196_791227304252250_6171682078212316990_o.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	15772  

You will need two 044 in the surge tank for the HP you want.

And then you should have AN8 fuel lines and new bigger fuel rails.

But 044 is very noisy, I had one in a surge tank in my trunk, but because of the noise I have changed mine now for a Walbro 450 pump that flows much more than 044.

Here you have test with the smaller Walbro 400 E85.
    (And yes the E85 pump works in both gasoline and ethanol)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flow-rang-compare.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	15774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	decibels.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	15773
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by Del Stator View Post
    New items for install and modification. This stuff is mostly all been bought. It is just a matter of getting everything together and installed.

Thinking Custom Clutch Master Twin Disc 850
    This clutch is useless what I know after reading, it can not handle your power.
    Better to buy a real quality clutch from Sachs
    They have two and three discs that can handle well over 1000 hp.

I'm using Sachs single disc clutch and I have a lot more torque than what it is specified to hold for, but I still don't have any problem even that I running hard on the race track with the my car.
    = Sachs clutch can hold for lot more than what they are specified for.

Seems like overkill for 700hp but best of luck
    2004 Sportec RS600 + 6MT + e85
    Fastest RS6 in the USA

Crap load of work to extract an extra 100-150 hp from many already pushing mid to high 500's with just a tune... Remember the 800hp engine in the Gumpert Apollo is the RS6 motor.... I have never been able to locate exact details on what the differences between the base RS6 and the Gumpert are, but safe to assume it's cams, turbos, headers, fuel management, air box, and a tune. I doubt there are any other different internals.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Looks like the manifold/turbo setup on the Apollo haha

Name:	1_1_b_i475x375.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	15779  

Looks to have 2 inch thick intake spacers too.

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    Looks to have 2 inch thick intake spacers too.
    Don't believe so. Here's a better photo. Dry sump, short headers, larger turbos. Same intake, similar throttle body.

Name:  Gumpert-Apollo_2008_1280x960_wallpaper_21.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  77.4 KB
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Look at where the intake bolts down in the picture i posted.