Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Del Stator RS6 Build Thread V 2.0

MTM built up the Gumpert motor from what I recall. Read on the history of Gumpert and you will see the two proprietors are buds.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Quote Originally Posted by Corbett View Post
    Seems like overkill for 700hp but best of luck
    I stated north of 700hp.

I love overkill!!

This isn't about building a car in some efficient bang for the buck manner. I love dreaming, planning, implementing, redesigning, driving, staring at hot rods. This is nothing but for the fun of it... I am not in competition with anybody.

If this was about efficiency in performance I should of spent the money on an older GT3 instead of starting with this retarded car. I sometimes kick myself for not but I am in too deep now.

RS8: We have a spare RS6 engine that dropped a valve and will be transferring all the needed RS6 parts onto and into the S8 block. I bought a very good set of S8 heads today and they are on the way to Flow Tech.

Thanks for your experience with 044. Part of my problems is talking to people that are trying to sell you stuff. Although I have asked very specifically about noise out of the 044 I have heard both ways. I refuse to drive around the street with some stupid buzzing fuel pump. The trunk is dynomatted so that will help with whatever pump I get. I will look into the Walbro. I did have a Walbro in a supercharged 4Runner that I had to replace because of noise but I don't remember what model.

I use to use Sach clutches back in the 80s with my Datsun 240/280z cars and Fiats. I will look into them. If I can get 15k miles out of a clutch I will be happy. I won't be going for some super light flywheel. I want to minimize engagement chatter. How much noise does yours make in normal driving? I am not asking about engagement chatter but other noise.

Fuel lines and rails are all planned to be upgraded.
    Last edited by Del Stator; December 30th, 2014 at 19:53.

You forget S in my name, my name RS8 not R8

The old Walbro sounded much more than the Bosch but these new Walbro 400/450 sounds much less than 044

I have no carpets at all on the floor, also the thick heavy carpet under is removed, so I have a lot of road noise in the car, but still it was just too loud noises from my 044, I even built a muted wood box around my catch tank but it didn't help enough,
    But now with the new Walbro 450 pump so it's okay sound level I can hear it at idle but it does not bother me.

And one 044 will work for maybe 650hp on gasoline but one Walbro 450LPH will work for 8-900hp

They have cars here with 700 crank hp with one Walbro 450 on Ethanol
    and ethanol requires 30% more fuel than petrol.
    700 x 30% = 910 hp on normal pump gasoline

And on a RS6 you do not have such high boost pressure so then you do not need a pump that can handle high pressure that a 044 is made for.
    Last edited by RS8; December 30th, 2014 at 14:30.
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8

My purchase of S8 heads didn't work out.

I might have a line of some dealer take offs. The dealer just replaces the entire engine and keeps things like heads. Lee Schwartz might have a line on some from a buddy at a dealership on the west coast...but otherwise still looking if anyone has a set of confirmed good heads. No wallered out cam journals and such. Pressure tested would be even better.

Let me know if anyone might have a lead.

If you are not going to use the S8 intake camshafts then you don't need S8 head you can instead search for A8 4.2L 40v head, and also some S6 V8 heads.

Only ask the dealer to measure so it is 30 mm exhaust valves in the heads he have.

My heads is from A8 310hp, engine code AQF

Intake valves have the same size on RS6 but not exhaust.

And look at the last picture on the RS6 head = it is not possible to fit 30 mm or bigger exhaust valves in a RS6 head, So you need A8,S8 or maybe S6 head for the Ferrea valves you have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake valve.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	15796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 exhaust.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	15798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A8 exhaust.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	15797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 head.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	15799
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump

So if we use custom ground camshafts then any of the above heads will work?

Quote Originally Posted by Del Stator View Post
    So if we use custom ground camshafts then any of the above heads will work?
    Yes I think so,
    So look for A8 and S6 40v head's around 1999-2005 and see so they have 30mm exhaust valves before you buy it.

any updates?

I thought I read somewhere that the RS6 heads have additional cooling internally?
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Not really.

I am dealing with Lee Schwartz being totally immersed in racing season so that is moving like molasses. The A8 heads will be at Flowtec next week. I have no idea how long that is going to take.

I finally have all the parts for the transmission build, it took a year to get a custom gear set made... The diffs are in.

Block still isn't bored and sleeved yet....I don't understand how or why after a year but whatever.

I am still waiting on Simon of TTE is get the German RS6 to the dyno to see how the upgrades on that project are working out.

Terry Griffin said three months ago he was going to dyno his old car to see what if anything happens when removing pieces of the intake. I have tired of asking him....

So I just wait and don't see the point in bitching to people to hurry up....it doesn't work anyway.

I am pretty discourage with the rate of progress.

I bought a house in Arkansas and I am way more focused on property upgrades. At least that is moving at a satisfying pace..

Hope to have more news in the next couple of months...

I read the same thing about the bigger cooling passages on the RS6 heads. That might be why the exhaust valves are smaller.
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, mountain climbing, and auto-racing. Everything else is just a game" -Ernest Hemingway

It seems to me you are trying to Americanize the RS6. Unlike American cars where go fast parts are bolted on hoping for better results, while not destroying other components. Its like a big lego set. The RS6 on the other hand was engineered from the ground up.. if you wish to attain a certain goal , you will need to go through the same process and re-engineer the car

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the RS6 heads have additional cooling internally?
    Yes the RS6 head have bigger water jacket on the exhaust side.
    But if you want high power then you need bigger exhaust valves and then you have to use A8 or S8 head.

Here is info about the water jacket on RS6

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avgas vatten.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	16290

I have a S6 motor BBD that I was gonna build for my RS6. This is identical to S8 motor other than cams yes?
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
    It seems to me you are trying to Americanize the RS6. Unlike American cars where go fast parts are bolted on hoping for better results, while not destroying other components. Its like a big lego set. The RS6 on the other hand was engineered from the ground up.. if you wish to attain a certain goal , you will need to go through the same process and re-engineer the car
    I have no idea what you are talking about. I get what you are trying to say but what does that have to do with my project?

If I am not reengineering this car then I don't know what the words mean. Thanks for your advice. I now understand what I have been doing wrong...

Korben007: Thanks for the offer but I don't need another engine. I just need the one that we have to get sent to the Victory and get going. Since we are using so many different parts from different engines to make a Frankenstein engine (RS6/A8/S8) everyone want to have all of the parts that are going to be used all together so that no mistakes are made. Like they want the ARP bolts in hand before they start boring and sleeving. Lee Schwartz is the same way. He wants every single spec in front of him before he starts building the heads.
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, mountain climbing, and auto-racing. Everything else is just a game" -Ernest Hemingway

Any update?

I have driven most of what BMW has to offer around a track and I did not find that I had more fun with a heavy car with more horsepower. The 2019 M5 Competition around the track was fun but just in weight alone it did not make it more fun because I could track it faster on the straights.
    The M2 on the other hand was a whole lot more fun around both tracks I used it on, in comparison. The M4 was also fun.

To my point, why build an RS6 to go for an occasional track day? I think your money would have been better invested elsewhere for a track focused car, where it is lighter and handles better.
    Get the RS6 well sorted and enjoy it daily, and slam the gas pedal on occasion on some on-ramps or empty highway cruisin'...

I tried to do too much at once on the B5 S4 I had and never really got to the enjoy that car as I should have. I was determined not to make the same mistake on the RS6, or any of my other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    To my point, why build an RS6 to go for an occasional track day? I think your money would have been better invested elsewhere for a track focused car, where it is lighter and handles better.
    Get the RS6 well sorted and enjoy it daily, and slam the gas pedal on occasion on some on-ramps or empty highway cruisin'...
    Again great advice from a long time RS6 owner.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Did Nene say B5 S4?

i bought one! Had so much fun with my supercharged RS4 that the old B5 peaked my interest.

stage 3 Nogaro with sport package. I love it

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8922BFD-26AF-4035-8F6A-99D4A0DDCA7C.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	19258