Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you save 905147 ?

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    Of course someone comes along and puts a "deposit" on it while I'm trying to get the price where it needs to be. Seems like the norm for dealers to do this these days. Guess thats a sign i shouldn't save it.

Maybe the new guy will show up here.
    The "deposit" might be a ploy to either get you to go away or to try to get more money from you through implied pressure. The dealer may have overpaid for the car. I have seen this behavior from a dealer before, about various model cars. These cars do seem to have a somewhat volatile price. At one point there are lots of nice ones for $18-20, and then suddenly they are all over $25000.

When I bought my current one a few months ago, I had an interesting talk with the salesman at the dealer. Apparently the dealer had been initially asking substantially more and failed to sell the car after several months. The price I paid was apparently only $1100 more than they bought the car for. I paid $24600 with 62000 miles and in almost completely perfect condition, which I considered to be a very good price.

All this being said, you do not want that car. It's worth $7500 tops. If there is the potential of engine trouble, you will be opening a can of worms that will never close. You will only end up selling this car for even less than the relatively small amount you will pay for it and taking a loss on whatever work you do on it.

Save up some lunch money for a few months and pay $14-16000 for a mechanically decent car with 150000 miles or so.

Quote Originally Posted by EINHORN View Post
    better them than you
    Definitely.
    Last edited by Zorb; December 22nd, 2014 at 16:01.

Stay away from this dealer. Jack and a$$es are a complement to these folks.

Hello, Names Sam, I'm addicted to boost. With that said, I will be getting into one of these pretty soon and I've been shopping around for the "right" one for me for what seems like an eternity, kinda hard to find the right car at the price you want it to be at.

Well, just curious if any of you would put the effort into saving a rare car such as these, when everything is wrong. I'm definitely a DIY kinda guy and can do all the work myself, I've had many projects (Many DSM's and a few euro cars) in my day and love refreshing/restoring/modding cars. Wife currently owns a B7 S4 and my stepson has a B5 S4. Anyway...

For Example: http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...4675/overview/

I talked to them, seems the tranny is bad of course, but it also looks like it was treated pretty bad, needs headlights from what I see on the dash error and they said the check engine light was on due to the EGT sensors. it will also need painted as the front end looks horrible. I do think it would make a great 6 speed swap car and while everything is out just clean it all up.... it's one of the colors I want too! ugh.

What I don't understand is how could an owner let a car like that get so far gone? it's a shame

BTW that's the advertised price, the cash price is much less. My wife is saying I should just find a perfect one as I'm probably not ever going to get rid of it once I do get into one, and go from there with mods.

Once I do get into one I'm for sure going to start a refresh/mod thread on it

even if you'd buy it for $7k you'd still have to put in it another at least $7k, so at the end of the day you have to ask yourself if it does worth going through all the trouble? Building or bringing a car to its former status is an experience and one i've done so far too many times and to be honest i would't do it again simply because once it's done you'll want to move one to the next project and trying to sell the old project will be a PITA as nobody will appreciate your effort and money spent so you'll end up selling it with a significant loss....

better put all the money together and buy a sorted one with a newly refurbished gearbox, a working DRC or a replaced one and enjoy the car by driving it instead of spending your time underneath tinkering it....
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Sorry to hijack the thread, but Biggz - "IF, and that's a big IF, the headlight adjustment screws are stripped, you can elect to swap out the lights with new units for less than $350 a pair."

Where in the name of iahweh am I supposed to find headlights for 350/pr?
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but Biggz - "IF, and that's a big IF, the headlight adjustment screws are stripped, you can elect to swap out the lights with new units for less than $350 a pair."

Oh, and OP - I would not drop the hammer on this one. Looks like one that Prestige has been trying to dump for about 18 months now. Was in need of ~$12k in service (dealership price, mind you) when I looked at it last year, and now the transmission is going/gone? methinks it's ready for a part-out.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

What's sad is E55 AMG prices are REALLY attractive right now as well. Ugh.

905417 would be a great parts car!

No one has mentioned that lovely light called "ABS".
    The only thing Sportec on this car is the racerboy stickers.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Guess they said one of their mechanics is going to get it.

s8prtotype, speaking of AMG's my buddy is selling his 2003 CL55 AMG with 101k for $14,500. Car is gorgeous and needs nothing. I'd flip my car and buy his right now if I didn't "need" an AWD car for winter (read: I'd rather not drive a CL55 in snow).
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Needs to be 4 doors, got a daughter that rides along. The S55 is kinda too old man looking to me, I can deal with the E55 once it has a few exterior mods but I love the CLS55 the most, kinda like these RS6's are with only made 1 year and sorta rare in kompressor form.

I do want an RS6, although not as reliable it seems... because of the AWD and they still look good to me, (as well as my family owning some S4's, it'd be cool if we all had one) I like them better than the newer V10 S6 even.

I do know i'll have an RS6 eventually no matter what.

Guess they said one of their mechanics is going to get it.
    Makes sense. Goes in line with what I well outlined. Car is NOT $7-10K worth of repairs. It's $2-3K worth of repairs. Yes, that assumes you are of sufficient mechanical skill to perform said repairs yourself. I well stated car is worth salvage price. That being just below 10K. All other fellow members might want to consider what the odds are that ANY of your rides will lose a tranny at any given point over the lifetime of ownership. It has always been described as "when it occurs", not "if it occurs". The other items are incidentals that we have ALL had occur to our rides over the years. They may not be exactly what has failed on your ride, but odds are that something else has failed that is fine on this ride. Point being, an 11yr old car with 140K is going to require work - period. These rides have also proven that vehicles with half that mileage require work - sometimes really expensive work also as a result of the troubled TQ & DRC... Again, 90% less than purchase price is a great deal for anyone wanting to wrench. I have done exactly that with two cars here. It has afforded me the opportunity to enjoy the RS6 year round in different levels of trim and performance. All for the same price as what a number of you have paid for one car. If I lived close enough to any of those members that are afforded the ability to drive in nice weather year round, the only difference you would be able to see on my vehicle parked next to yours are rock chips, cracked windshield, and some increased wear on a couple of interior components. Otherwise it is mechanically sound and will be enjoyed for years/1000's of miles to come.

Surprised so many members would merely chaulk the car up as garbage when there are so few examples made. Suppose that is because yes there are extremely good examples kicking around - albeit for more than double the price.

To the OP, make sure you check out the For Sale section on this forum for other cars that board members are selling. There are at least 3-4 cars on this board for sale currently - again for double what this one was sold for.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

More like this are showing up, $16.5k. One owner, 150k miles, but looks clean. Missing the SE exhaust and warm weather package. Does have carbon interior, nav, sport pedals.

If the link above doesn't work, please copy this link into your browser.
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=76502&endYear=2015&modelCode1=RS6&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=AUDI&firstRecord=26&searchRadius=0&mmt=[AUDI[RS6[]][]]&listingId=386913952

This email was sent to you via AutoTrader.com's Email a Friend feature.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Makes sense. Goes in line with what I well outlined. Car is NOT $7-10K worth of repairs. It's $2-3K worth of repairs. Yes, that assumes you are of sufficient mechanical skill to perform said repairs yourself. I well stated car is worth salvage price. That being just below 10K. All other fellow members might want to consider what the odds are that ANY of your rides will lose a tranny at any given point over the lifetime of ownership. It has always been described as "when it occurs", not "if it occurs". The other items are incidentals that we have ALL had occur to our rides over the years. They may not be exactly what has failed on your ride, but odds are that something else has failed that is fine on this ride. Point being, an 11yr old car with 140K is going to require work - period. These rides have also proven that vehicles with half that mileage require work - sometimes really expensive work also as a result of the troubled TQ & DRC... Again, 90% less than purchase price is a great deal for anyone wanting to wrench. I have done exactly that with two cars here. It has afforded me the opportunity to enjoy the RS6 year round in different levels of trim and performance. All for the same price as what a number of you have paid for one car. If I lived close enough to any of those members that are afforded the ability to drive in nice weather year round, the only difference you would be able to see on my vehicle parked next to yours are rock chips, cracked windshield, and some increased wear on a couple of interior components. Otherwise it is mechanically sound and will be enjoyed for years/1000's of miles to come.

Surprised so many members would merely chaulk the car up as garbage when there are so few examples made. Suppose that is because yes there are extremely good examples kicking around - albeit for more than double the price.

To the OP, make sure you check out the For Sale section on this forum for other cars that board members are selling. There are at least 3-4 cars on this board for sale currently - again for double what this one was sold for.
    I still say this car is easily $8-10k in repairs/maintenance to bring it up to comparable standards in performance and looks.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    I still say this car is easily $8-10k in repairs/maintenance to bring it up to comparable standards in performance and looks.
    If you need to hire someone to do it, those values would be suitable. What is current price to R&R a tranny currently by either an Indy or a Stealership? $3,500.00 just in labour alone. Add another $1,500-$3,500.00 depending on where you get your replacement or rebuilt tranny. EGT codes can likely be the solder point fix. Worse case, drop engine from chassis a nominal 4-5" without undoing any of the coolers, electrical, drivetrain, etc., and you can reach them from below. Stealership will cite you need to remove the engine, but we know it can still stay in. Cosmetics are just that - cosmetics. They don't need to be replaced in order to enjoy the ride. Personal preference depending on lifestyle and driving conditions.

All in all, good feedback from both sides of the discussion I believe.

Cheers
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Yep, I do see your point, and could be a good winter beater if repairs worked out well. Will be interesting if we ever hear the future of this beast...

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    More like this are showing up, $16.5k. One owner, 150k miles, but looks clean. Missing the SE exhaust and warm weather package. Does have carbon interior, nav, sport pedals.

If the link above doesn't work, please copy this link into your browser.
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=76502&endYear=2015&modelCode1=RS6&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=AUDI&firstRecord=26&searchRadius=0&mmt=[AUDI[RS6[]][]]&listingId=386913952

This email was sent to you via AutoTrader.com's Email a Friend feature.
    There's a good example for the additional $5-6K plus tax. If you have the extra money in your budget, this is a better route to go for sure.

EGT can be replaced without even lowering the engine...all in situ
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
    EGT can be replaced without even lowering the engine...all in situ
    Small hands, and bent wrench. I have medium hands and bent wrench and couldn't crack the passeger sensor loose. Easier if you have the SAI removed for sure - then you can do it from above without fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    I saw them for sale on eBay.de a number of times and with shipping and exhange it worked out to $350.00. I do note, that if you are fine with Redneck repairs though, you can remedy a failing adjustment screw problem (same ones the BMW's have), buy using some PL400 adhesive to permanently adhere the ABS back on to the knurled metal post. I've done this on two rides here and it's as good or better than a commercial strength epoxy. Be careful to not get any of the adhesive to close to the teeth though as you can permanently bind the adjustment screws together. lol