Thread: Wheel lug nuts question

Wheel lug nuts question

I recently ran into a set of tires and wheels that I could not pass up on. They are 18 inches 5x112 bolt pattern. They are black and I need to purchase a set of black lug nuts for each wheel. Do I need any other piece of info and where is a good place to purchase these ?? Thanks!!

What offset? ECS tuning has anodized black that I bought for use on black OE wheels - they were nice.

Thanks. I don't know the offset. Would that be written on the actual rim? Right now I have the OEM wheels on it with 255 40 18s tires and the winter set I just got is 245 40 18. It did not come with any nuts.

yes it should be on the inside

You need to know if the bolts that the rims accept are conical or chamfered (?). The original bolts are conical but most aftermarket rims are a straight bevel. Of course you need to know the length (use an original to determine what you need). Offset has no impact on wheel bolt length.

The OEM VAG bolts are Ball seat, most aftermarket are Conical. Even the OEM BBS wheels on my Audi tt are Ball seat where all aftermarket BBS wheels are Conical seat. Most likely the wheels you have are Conical seat (ECS tuning carries both) but you need to know the length. OEM are 28mm I think? Might be close enough to stick an OEM bolt through the wheel and measure how much is sticking out the back side?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    The OEM VAG bolts are Ball seat, most aftermarket are Conical. Even the OEM BBS wheels on my Audi tt are Ball seat where all aftermarket BBS wheels are Conical seat. Most likely the wheels you have are Conical seat (ECS tuning carries both) but you need to know the length. OEM are 28mm I think? Might be close enough to stick an OEM bolt through the wheel and measure how much is sticking out the back side?
    +1....sorry, I had my terminology backwards.....

OEM is 28mm in length. If your ET is lower than 30, increase the length of bolts by the same amount. For example if aftermarket wheels have ET25, order bolts with 33mm in length. +1 on the ball/conical comments.
    Avus Silver: Viper ECU / MTM TCU / ACE TC / Rebuilt Trans/ PSS9 / AWE Uppers / Clear Corners / Carbon lip

Quote Originally Posted by repda503 View Post
    OEM is 28mm in length. If your ET is lower than 30, increase the length of bolts by the same amount. For example if aftermarket wheels have ET25, order bolts with 33mm in length. +1 on the ball/conical comments.
    I don't think you are correct. The ET will indicate the position of the centre of the wheel rim to the mounting surface. The buyer would only need to purchase longer lugs if they use a spacer to keep the offset of the aftermarket wheel the same as the factory wheel.

We'll need to know the size of the rim (18" given the tires on them), width of the rim and offset of the rim. If the offset will require the use of a spacer then longer lugs are needed. If no spacer is require then factory length lugs should do. In the case of the OP he just wants black lugs to he'll have to buy them from ECS or somewhere similiar. As with what many have also posted, most aftermarket rims use conical bolt seats where the head of the lug meets the wheel so that will have to be factored into the lugs that are purchased.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by bakes; December 18th, 2014 at 20:36. Reason: spelling
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    I don't think you are correct. The ET will indicate the position of the centre of the wheel rim to the mounting surface. The buyer would only need to purchase longer lugs if they use a spacer to keep the offset of the aftermarket wheel the same as the factory wheel.
    Ooops! Yeah I was thinking of my own car since I use spacers. You might say I "spaced" out on that little detail.
    Avus Silver: Viper ECU / MTM TCU / ACE TC / Rebuilt Trans/ PSS9 / AWE Uppers / Clear Corners / Carbon lip

So I should basically get the same ones I have on now on OEM wheels from ec tuning but only blank in color and conical seats..?

Quote Originally Posted by vas160s View Post
    So I should basically get the same ones I have on now on OEM wheels from ec tuning but only blank in color and conical seats..?
    What is the spec of the rim? on the inside you should see ET stamped somewhere aswell as the dimension 18*?? Really need to know the width of the rim and offset to help you best with lug suggestions. We need to figure out if you need spacers. What car where these rims on previously?
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

The real question is how thick is the flange. You can have two different brands of wheels in the same size and offset but with a different flange thickness that would require different bolt lengths. That is why a measurement is the way to go unless you can find someone with the same wheels or the wheel manufacturers recommendation.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

The real question is how thick is the flange. You can have two different brands of wheels in the same size and offset but with a different flange thickness that would require different bolt lengths. That is why a measurement is the way to go unless you can find someone with the same wheels or the wheel manufacturers recommendation.
    Bingo! I have a set of 18" 5 spoke Hartman relica's and the flance is 2mm thicker which necessitated purchasing longer lugs as there was insufficient bite to well ensure proper torque in the wheel hub. Lug needs to stick past back face of flange by 3/8" min to bolt up properly.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down