Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are ECU's Interchangeable?

Are ECU's Interchangeable?

Guys,

I've been meaning to send my ECU to Eurocharged for some time, and haven't had any planned RS6 downtime to pull it and put it in the mail. I have a line on a ECU out of a totaled RS that is being parted. Can I hop up that ECU and swap it with the one in my car?

Let me know, and thanks for your help.

Cheers.
    Topcat_92

Needs to be vin coded to your car. 350 at dealers

Beware of unknown tunes.

Thanks. Dealer only, or can guys like Eurocharged do it too? TCU is available too, and will likely go for both. What's a fair price?
    Topcat_92

Dealer only

Immobilizer is the issue

Value depends on tune. Good tune...more value

No tune, stock.
    Topcat_92

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Dealer only

Immobilizer is the issue

What happens if it's not coded to the VIN? What in the car makes the ECU know that it's not the right VIN?

Quote Originally Posted by topcat_92 View Post
    Guys,

I've been meaning to send my ECU to Eurocharged for some time, and haven't had any planned RS6 downtime to pull it and put it in the mail. I have a line on a ECU out of a totaled RS that is being parted. Can I hop up that ECU and swap it with the one in my car?

Let me know, and thanks for your help.

Cheers.
    ECU's can be swapped on cars, but as noted in above posts, you need to address the immobilizer issue. This can be accomplished with VAGcom. I do note, that in doing so, you need to be highly confident you are performing the steps in the correct manner as you could botch it and make your car a brick. I can forward you more information via PM that a few of the other members are also aware of. With that, you can then decide if you want to undertake this effort. As a heads up, I have done all the most difficult mechanical repairs and mods on the RS6, but have never performed this particular item due to concerns I might botch it.... lol
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I thought Euro could send you the flashing tool? Dave, yours still for sale?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Here's the page discussing how they can send you the flash http://www.eurocharged.com/index.php...=article&id=75

Hope their tune works better...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Cloning an ECU is not difficult if you have the right tools or know someone that does. I'm sure that any tuner like euro charged can do it for you if you send them both of your ECUs. You just need to copy your ECUs serial EEPROM to the additional ECU and they become interchangeable.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    Cloning an ECU is not difficult if you have the right tools or know someone that does. I'm sure that any tuner like euro charged can do it for you if you send them both of your ECUs. You just need to copy your ECUs serial EEPROM to the additional ECU and they become interchangeable.

How about the TCU, does it need to go through the same process or can TCU's simply be swapped without coding?
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Quote Originally Posted by nistah View Post
    How about the TCU, does it need to go through the same process or can TCU's simply be swapped without coding?
    You can just swap, done a few times, easy...

Dealer only

Immobilizer is the issue

$250 for the ECU (stock, no tune), $300 for the TCU (stock, no tune). Is that fair?
    Topcat_92

$250 for the ECU (stock, no tune), $300 for the TCU (stock, no tune). Is that fair?
    Is that what the dealer is wanting for installing these items? Reflash?

I'm pretty sure that if the dealer installs another ECU, then the original one will not work. I think the dealer VAS software assigns a new immobilizer code and they have to re-code the cluster and keys.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Good deal on ecu

Good deal on ecu

Thanks for the feedback. Pulled the trigger on ECU and TCU. E-mailed Eurocharged regarding the VIN reprogram.
    Topcat_92

ECU and TCU both delivered. For the TCU, is the MTM guy out of Canada Horchaus? For Eurocharged, who's the right dealer to contact? I went to their website, and the listed local dealer for the Seattle area is closed.

Thanks for your help guys.
    Topcat_92

Yes on the TCU, you'll need to send it out, few days turnaround, $150 I think, solder in flashed chip. Terry? is the man to talk with at the home shop in Texas it seems. You'll be dialed in soon, have fun! Always interested to see data performance logs if you can.