Thread: 125k on stock turbo.... engine out..m what should i do?

125k on stock turbo.... engine out..m what should i do?

Nothing? Rebuild to stock? Upgrade internals? Totally different turbo? I know nothing about turbos fyi...

There were some notes on this in your other post. Mine were fairly solid at 88k, but rebuilt anyhow for best performance. Once out of the car, you can feel how much play the shaft/impeller has, decide then. It's about $1,300 through Scroll for upgraded oil flow channels too, which I did, helps with cooling. I would think a rebuild is due, although heard these can go 150k+.

Edit; Other things to consider. Are you tuned? If not, you're not putting as much heat and wear on the turbo, so it should hang in there much longer. Also look at driving style. It does take a few weeks to get them rebuilt also, and there are other companies besides Scroll. I bought and extra set and had them rebuilt to minimize down time. If you plan on keeping the car for another 50-100k, then rebuild for sure. They come back brand new with full performance, $1k basic rebuild from Scroll in NJ.
    Last edited by lswing; December 6th, 2014 at 16:44.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Just as additional info... I'm oc.t tuned, maybe 420 awtq, 400 awhp? I know I touched on "what else to do in general" in my other thread... I'm wondering specifically in this one regardingspecial considerations for the turbo. I guess what I'm saying is I realize I can rebuild them to stock specifications, but am I better served with an upgrade of some sort?

For $2k Scroll will upgrade the impeller also. Increases one of the piping sizes some work needs to be done. Think you can go a bit bigger with the auto box still in, but big cost, Loba turbos around $3,500 I think.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I checked my turbos free play on the one ride here when I did a tranny swap a year ago and they were just fine - 125K. I elected to do nothing with them as a result. The other ride here is currently in pieces and I'm just overhauling the turbos with rebuild kits - $50/ea. There aren't that man parts and pieces in a turbo, and as long as the expensive parts like the compressor and impellor wheels are in good condition, there is no need to through away gobs of $$ for different units.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Midwest Turbo Connection....love the sound mine make ...looked like new when I got them back..$375 a piece I think...VSR balanced...you can upgrade and shave metal, but beware of reliability.