Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone also own RS4 or S4?

Great information here- thank you for the detailed responses. I have always admired the B5 S4. It would be hard to find one with low mileage in great condition. B8 S4's are all over the place, but the prices seem to vary even for similar cars, and most of the used ones are at small-time/second-hand car dealerships.

I was not considering the V8 S4 cars (B6 AND B7, I think?) at all. We live at elevation and appreciate/enjoy having boost. I thought the RS4 might be so special that it was worth considering, despite being normally aspirated.

My wife loves the handling, 6spd, and interior quality/amenities in the A4 (it is a loaded model). I am sure if I put in an APR tune it would be all the power that she would ever need in her winter commuter, but I don't really want another modified car as we already have several, and it still won't be a power band that I find satisfying for the times when I drive the car.

I still think the B5 RS4 is the best OEM package in their 30 year lineup since the Sport Quattro. The RS4 was only (slightly) lacking in braking and a simple set of sways. Overall, great package.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Hmmm yes but unless you mis-typed, the B5 RS4 was only available overseas, not in the U.S..

Typed accurately. Overall, in any market, B5 RS4. I'm sure the C7 RS6 would rival it... although no 6MT available from factory.

Quote Originally Posted by alrightroad View Post
    Typed accurately. Overall, in any market, B5 RS4. I'm sure the C7 RS6 would rival it... although no 6MT available from factory.
    Just not in the US; or was it imported, or your time over seas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_RS_4

C7 RS6 even faster and better with auto trans I say!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

If I were given the opportunity to buy these 3 cars

1 B5 RS4 avant
    2 C5 RS6 avant
    3 C7 RS6 avant

I would buy them in that order. No question

Just to be clear, I cannot get a B5 RS4 here in the U.S., correct?

DHall1 how would you rank C5 RS6, B8 S4, B5 S4, B7RS4? I think only the B5 S4 is offered as an avant stateside, from what I have read. We would always prefer the wagon, if available.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    If I were given the opportunity to buy these 3 cars

1 B5 RS4 avant
    2 C5 RS6 avant
    3 C7 RS6 avant

I would buy them in that order. No question
    I approve this post!

You live in the mtns? Right

daily for the wife?

Ezpz

B8 S4 is the only real choice. Look at my signature....while the Q platform is not my first choice we need the space. My first choice for the wife would be B8 S4 avant. Not going to happen with the jack offs at AOA so the SQ will have to work. Btw I just lowered our SQ today...again the ass hats at AOA brought our SQs at higher specs than europe. It never ends.

Quote Originally Posted by rwheelz View Post
    Just to be clear, I cannot get a B5 RS4 here in the U.S., correct?

DHall1 how would you rank C5 RS6, B8 S4, B5 S4, B7RS4? I think only the B5 S4 is offered as an avant stateside, from what I have read. We would always prefer the wagon, if available.

Since we are touching on a soft spot in my heart for avants... everyone should take note of this and put on your calendar for July 2015>>> www.campallroad.com

I'm on the leadership team and we are pulling in all Audi avant enthusiasts from around the country. One goal is "hey, Audi, look at this, we want more avants... and with "S" and "RS" in name if possible". As you all know, the only avant in the lineup right now is the 2.0T A4 platform allroad with no C series on the horizon. Yep, that's it. I love my C5 stage 3 6MT allroad. BUT, we need more options, she is getting old. Guys, if you care about your Audi avant craving, please get involved in the social media side of Camp allroad and bring your Audi a$$ to Colorado next summer for the event. We will have a federalized B5 RS4 and C5 RS6 attending. There will be a couple S6/RS6 converts coming as well (Korben?). Working on an RS2 from Canadian member and C6 and C7 RS6 avants from AoA. They have 2 here on the ground.

You won't want to miss this event!

Quote Originally Posted by rwheelz View Post
    I figure there must be an Audi nut on here who has owned them all. I am curious about driving and ownership experiences with the RS4 and late model S4 - US specs. How do they stack up to the feel of the RS6?
    I drive a lightly-modded B8 S4 (ECU tune, intake, STaSIS "Touring" Suspension) and have driven enough miles in a C5 RS6 to be able to make some comparisons.

First thing, as has been pointed out, is that the 3.0T supercharged V6 engine is a masterpiece. Incredibly responsive, and with lots of untapped potential left with the factory tune. It has actually spoiled me for most turbocharged engines, because even good ones have SOME turbo-lag. The instant response of the supercharger gives you lots of extra options whether in street or track driving. Stock to stock, the C5 RS 6 and B8 S4 run about even in measured acceleration (about 13.0 1/4 mile, high 4s 0-60), but even a simple ECU flash for the B8 improves those to low/mid 12s and about 4.0, and adding a pulley makes high 11s and high 3s possible. AND the transmission doesn't grenade when tuned cars are driven in anger, which is quite different than the C5.

Second thing is the much tidier dimensions of the B-chassis, and the extra maneuverability that it brings.

Third thing is the modern cabin tech - the C5 is in the dark ages, by comparison.

Fourth thing is the overall reliability. The B8 has proven to be one of the most reliable modern Audis - few issues, and none really serious.

The RS6 has more "shock and awe" value from its fender flares to its "wait....then BOOM" throttle response, but the B8 S4 is a far better car overall.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    The RS6 has more "shock and awe" value from its fender flares to its "wait....then BOOM" throttle response!
    So what you're really saying is the RS6 is a way better car overall....just kidding, thanks for the good perspective.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    So what you're really saying is the RS6 is a way better car overall....just kidding, thanks for the good perspective.
    LOL!

The fifth thing is this

The RS6 was and always will be the first RS on US soil.

Quality materials and comfort in a 4000 lb rocket sled. I take the RS6...oh wait I already have.

I love the B8 S4 and as I said I want another one to replace the RS6, but if money were no object I'd keep the RS6 and bring it into the modern world with the RNS-E, Bluetooth, reverse cam, Recaro seats, 6spd manual conversion, 3-400lbs weight reduction, and of course, dual ball bearing turbos
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

no doubt that the B8 S4 is a great car, i'd take that over the B8 RS4, but it is too blunt both outside and inside and while the 3.0T is a masterpiece doesn't have the grunt of the V8. However, unlike the C5 RS6 it is a perfect weapon of daily/spirited driving without having to fear that the gearbox would let you down. I have a friend who imported an S4 from the US, as here they never brought it, has an APR tune and close to 60k miles and that car was really beaten up as this guy is known for abusing cars and it still holds ok, you can feel it it is a bit tired from all the harsh driving but i am sure the C5 would've collapsed a lot quicker under his ownership . He also has a S6 C7 he bought new and has now close to 45k miles and same story, but the car shows no signs of fatigue, and i pretty much think those cars have seen each day one controlled launch . Oops, just remembered, the gearbox on the S4 was replaced under warranty, go figure why...

So indeed the new S and RS models seem to be taken much better the harsh continued driving .

But just as Turbowned said, i'd love to have both the C5 and something from the newer generation, preferably a TTRS, which to me seems the perfect RS car, very very fun to drive, amazing engine and gearbox but obviously it can only be a second car when you have family. The other 4 doors RS's, are more of a compromise and will be penalized when it comes to handling. Most likely the newer RS5 and RS4 will have supercharged engines and that will change the balance.

S cars are nice and mainly the S4 and S6 are very good but they lack the "special sauce" and that for me is kind of a deal breaker, i want the car to feel different than the regular A4 and A6 and the differences are so minimal in appearance, i think they should've kept the flared arches for the S models as well, that would've made them stand out.
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast