Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggestions for 6 speed software?

Bad news, see below

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Seems definitative

Quote Originally Posted by EINHORN View Post
    Bad news, see below

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Seems definitative
    the 4.2 v8 is manufactured in the s6 with the 01E. That would be my argument.

Quote Originally Posted by sbcrc86 View Post
    I thought the S-6 was only manufactured with an automatic transmission both here and in Europe. Furthermore, the EPA and the Massachusetts DEP don't care what was manufactured outside of the United States.

Nothing is definitive. I'm waiting to hear back from two EPA testing labs to see if I can have the car tested the EPA standards in order to prove that it is emissions worthy. I would just sell the car but since this is so ridiculous I'm going to go to the mat on it.

I meant a6 4.2 granted the engine code is different. Go for it dude, my 01E project is going full steam ahead despite these new found issues. If there is a will there is a way.

I meant a6 4.2 granted the engine code is different. Go for it dude, my 01E project is going full steam ahead despite these new found issues. If there is a will there is a way.
    I don't think that the A6 had a six speed either. I'm going to battle this though.

Give them hell John. I've done everything I can from my end, the ecu is 100% compliant at this point. Its the squeaky wheels that get grease. if the noise makes it far enough up the hill its possible to get crap like this changed.

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    It seems now that the state of MA (which now follows CA CARB rules) is trying to figure out if putting a 6 speed in a car that was never sold here with a 6-speed is OK. They are asking the MA DEP to decide. The funny thing is that the 6-speed is lower in emissions and all of the readiness and everything else is 100% working and stock. Stoopid. We'll see if I can make my case. I have spent hours and hours reading Cali CARB rules. Any attorneys here want to volunteer their email address or phone number if I need to bounce some questions off you?
    EPA/CARB regs require a certification process for different drivetrains. Put a manual trans in a car certified for an automatic and it's no longer in compliance, regardless if emissions are lower or not, it still have to be certified. You can thank your government for that.
    www.advancedautomotion.com

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    I don't think that the A6 had a six speed either. I'm going to battle this though.
    The A6 4.2 and S6 was automatic only as well. The only certified C5 with a manual trans was the 2.8, and 2.7.
    www.advancedautomotion.com

If they come up with an exception/exemption for this, they will be bombarded with others, that may require them to examine them individually. They are not interested in this, preferring manufacturers to bear this burden,

Quote Originally Posted by EINHORN View Post
    If they come up with an exception/exemption for this, they will be bombarded with others, that may require them to examine them individually. They are not interested in this, preferring manufacturers to bear this burden,
    Manufacturers would never get involved. They want nothing to do with somebody 10 years after the fact swapping out the transmission. According to the Massachusetts Department of environmental protection I can either put everything back to stock, 100%, or I can go shit in my hat. Beware though… These new rules apply to anything that can be considered emissions related: air filters, ignition coil's, cold air intakes, etc. obviously a cold air intake is easier to swap out if you get caught with it. But the new rules basically state that you cannot change anything. Going forward they'll probably become more rigorous. And don't think it's just Massachusetts and California. I believe there are 10 other states who have adopted CARB standards. I also read that there are 20 others considering it. It shouldn't be long before we are all driving OE standard cars. Anyone ever see the Last Chase? Rent it if you can find it

So Californians voted in politicians who ultimately put the CARB together and in power. It sort of feels like A foreign entity(California) regulating its will on citizens of sovereign states who never had the chance to be represented when this BS went through the state legislature.