Thread: Rear rotors question

Rear rotors question

I have recently bought front zimmermans rotors and am just looking around as my guy said my rear pads are 40% and I will also need rear rotors. So my question is....do I have to replace rotors every time I replace pads??? And what's a good reasonable place to get rear rotors? Seems fronts are more readily available and most don't sell rears for some reason. Thanks as always.

Pretty Much! Open that wallet!
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

lol why replace rotors that are not needing to be replaced. Where can I find some and what's the life expectancy of these...shit is getting expensive :-)

Parts geek is probably cheapest.

Did your Mechanic measure the disc thickness?

Its a 2+ Ton car with alot of HP, Rotors and pads are consumable and can be consumed quick!

I got 50K out of mine with some life left. I drive like a grandpa though.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

I can't use them again. They screwed up my last order and hijacked my money for over a month. I wrote a post about it. Never again lol.

You can get 50k plus out of rotors.

You can get 20k out of rotors.

Blame it on gray material and your right foot.

I get 50k but from time to time i feel like a 20yr old.

Heavy car and agressive driving will see consumption of front rotors quicker than rears at a rate of at least double and possibly triple... I replace rotors once for every two sets of pads. I perform a light resurface of the rotors to remove any light gouging as long as the rotors are still within spec. If they are borderline spec, I don't turn and have frequently looked to run the new pads for 50% of their lifespan prior to swapping for new rotors and new pads again. The pads are a lot less expensive than the rotors.

I have also recently been procuring the non-drilled Phaeton rotors which are direct fit. They perform fine and are significantly more cost affordable then the cross drilled.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    I have also recently been procuring the non-drilled Phaeton rotors which are direct fit. They perform fine and are significantly more cost affordable then the cross drilled.
    Are they same sized front and rear or just rear?
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Are they same sized front and rear or just rear?
    Sorry the crutch of your post of course. I have only done Phaeton fronts and cannot provide insight to whether the rears are the same fit or no unfortunately.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Sorry the crutch of your post of course. I have only done Phaeton fronts and cannot provide insight to whether the rears are the same fit or no unfortunately.
    Front RS6 rotors == 365x34
    Front Phaeton rotors == 360x32

Rear RS6 rotors == 335x22
    Rear Phaeton Rotors == 310x22

Fronts are close enough to be basically interchangeable (and MUCH cheaper getting Phaeton rotors)
    Rears are too far off...
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

parts number or model year/specifics of phaeton that work?
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Phaeton W12 part number: 3D0615301N
    They are 365x34

(but I don't know if it is 100% direct fit or not)
    (We are talking about them in another tread)
    RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8