Thread: Long-time RS6 owner, first post

Post Long-time RS6 owner, first post

Hello all,
    I'm the happy owner of anRS6 and I've been a member of this board since 2010 -but I've only visited once or twice. Time to get busy...

Me: performance car enthusiast (previously I've owned a BMW 850CSi and similar Munich machines, and I currently own a Lotus Elise and a Ducati 907ie). I live in Central Virginia and have done service items on my vehicles in the past (brakes/oil/electrics/fiberglass), but nothing on the RS6.
    The Car: 2003 RS6 with about 100K on the clock. Bought it from my dad in 2008 (my father purchased the car new). Grey with creme interior. Stock. Options: what were the options available? I don't have Navigation, and I don't have the window shades. Otherwise, I probably have the available options. The car has had one "accident" but it was in my driveway at 5mph with nobody in the car. Still... horrendously expensive.

I've got tons of questions (even after browsing the board this afternoon), so if you will indulge me, here they are:

1. I've had the DRC hydraulic recall work done (about five years ago). But the left front of the car still thunks and rattles more than I would like. This is after several visits to the dealer (Flow, Charlottesville) and independent mechanics (Overstreet).
    2. The cruise control has been a nightmare, but my independent mechanic seems recently to have fixed most of the problems with a new brake light switch and cc stalk. But the "coast" button on the tip of the stalk still doesn't work consistently. Prior to the last work done, the CC would not even engage reliably.
    3. Things to monitor closely as this car starts to age?
    4. My god, brake rotors are expensive. I've had to replace them twice due to wear in the past 40K miles.
    5. One of my stock wheels is scuffed -good sources for replacements? Otherwise, I'll probably have to dismount it and send it off to be refurbished and do without the car for a week.
    6. How realistic is it today to replace the Symphony sound system with the RNS thing? It seems like about $1K just for parts, and there seems to be issues with matching the interior and US/Euro spec issues.
    7. My interior is wearing on all the dash buttons. Really poor design for the surface. Any suggestions?
    8. Good source for parts? I freaked out when I learned the cost of replacing the Alcantara visor (with Homelink) ... $800 or so.
    9. Easy mods that Audi should have done? (= not going to make a boy racer out of this thing -that's for the Elise).
    10. Any registries for VINs/options other than on the main list?

Thanks,
    Chris

What is the vin last 6

Ever any transmission repairs

Stage 1 flash the car...

Welcome! As posted, a tune will really spice it up.

DRC could be failing again, not sure, could replace with Koni Yellows. Maybe try a different mechanic to diagnose the cruise issue, and you should have vagcom regardless, might help you see codes and point in a better direction. Yep, the buttons can wear, but I blame part of that on people not being aware, scratching stuff, mine haven't worn in the three years I've had it, maybe find some from a parted car.

Cam adjusters could go anytime, $2-4k depending. Trans and TC could go anytime too, a tune will hasten this, $3-8k.

Swaybars are really nice, maybe throw on some new wheels and tires. Use Google to search site:rs6.com, much better, cheers!

Oh yes, anything under $1k with this car is cheap...a deal!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

ECS tuning has some of the OE interior parts for cheaper than Audi.
    Look for an alloy wheel repair shop in your area, should be about 100-150 because to get it refinished hyper silver (on this one, i have one satin black OE wheel that i could sell you and you could get that re-refinished in the OE color without losing your car for a day)

Whereabout in Central VA? I took a trip down to Chester last weekend to pick up replacement axles for my Jeep, would've been nice to meet up with another RS enthusiast. Everything these guys said above me is good, check out my post history for the general advice to new owners that I've been putting out there since I got mine last year and had to put a ton of cash into fixing every little detail.

If you want to go RNS-E without the aggravation, send me a PM for contact details for "the guy" who does kits, but be warned it's a bit more expensive than sourcing parts - at least you'll know it'll fit and work properly, though.

Welcome aboard the crazy train, post up in the main list with the last 6 of your VIN!

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Whereabout in Central VA? I took a trip down to Chester last weekend to pick up replacement axles for my Jeep, would've been nice to meet up with another RS enthusiast. Everything these guys said above me is good, check out my post history for the general advice to new owners that I've been putting out there since I got mine last year and had to put a ton of cash into fixing every little detail.

If you want to go RNS-E without the aggravation, send me a PM for contact details for "the guy" who does kits, but be warned it's a bit more expensive than sourcing parts - at least you'll know it'll fit and work properly, though.

Welcome aboard the crazy train, post up in the main list with the last 6 of your VIN!

O_E
    I live in Charlottesville -at least an hour from Chester to the west. Indeed it would be nice to talk to someone about the car and see another example. I have NEVER seen another RS6 in the flesh in the US, much less spoken to someone (other than my car-crazy family) about them.

I do some digging into your post history to see the new owner advice.

I just put my VIN (905376) in the main thread/registry. I guess that makes me official...

-Chris

1. A bad circut on the DRC is obvious. REALLY obvious as the car pitches and rolls poorly and is bounciy when coming to a stop. Other clunking can be the result of a bad sway bar link, or bad control arm bushing(s).
    3. No more than any other car with relatively same mileage. Archilles heal was the OEM struts and the OEM torque convertor. Everything else is made top notch for othe most part and there are no fewer and no more items that break than any other quality ride out there. At least that's my experience...
    4. Expensive car when first sold for a reason. One of the largest front braking systems on a production car. Price for rotors varies wildly depending on where you purchase and whether or not you put on drilled rotors vs. non-drilled. Search is your friend.
    5. Always someone selling a spare rim or a full set. Keep your eyes posted. In the mean time, find a local qualified wheel repair shop and spend the $100-150 cahones to bring it back up to new.
    6. A couple of reputible sellers with the kit available. Plug and play for the most part. A few members on here have performed the swap. They will likely chime in. Again, search is your friend.
    7. Standard fare. Comes with age and useage. Only fix is a new replacement part.
    9. Get a tune and get a TCU upgrade. Hotchkis sway bars are a good choice IMO as are Stern motor and tranny mounts.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by cch View Post
    Hello all,
    I've got tons of questions (even after browsing the board this afternoon), so if you will indulge me, here they are:

1. I've had the DRC hydraulic recall work done (about five years ago). But the left front of the car still thunks and rattles more than I would like. This is after several visits to the dealer (Flow, Charlottesville) and independent mechanics (Overstreet).
    2. The cruise control has been a nightmare, but my independent mechanic seems recently to have fixed most of the problems with a new brake light switch and cc stalk. But the "coast" button on the tip of the stalk still doesn't work consistently. Prior to the last work done, the CC would not even engage reliably.
    3. Things to monitor closely as this car starts to age?
    4. My god, brake rotors are expensive. I've had to replace them twice due to wear in the past 40K miles.
    5. One of my stock wheels is scuffed -good sources for replacements? Otherwise, I'll probably have to dismount it and send it off to be refurbished and do without the car for a week.
    6. How realistic is it today to replace the Symphony sound system with the RNS thing? It seems like about $1K just for parts, and there seems to be issues with matching the interior and US/Euro spec issues.
    7. My interior is wearing on all the dash buttons. Really poor design for the surface. Any suggestions?
    8. Good source for parts? I freaked out when I learned the cost of replacing the Alcantara visor (with Homelink) ... $800 or so.
    9. Easy mods that Audi should have done? (= not going to make a boy racer out of this thing -that's for the Elise).
    10. Any registries for VINs/options other than on the main list?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Hi Chris

Now that I have a bit more time to write an answer for you

1) Agreed with Bigglezworth - don't think it's necessarily the DRC system. Check for sway bar end links, tie rod end, upper and lower control arms/bushings, etc... If all else fails, look for a coilover kit. I believe it's Koni that makes a kit that'll run ~1500-2k, or KW Variant 3 for fully adjustable coilovers in the $2500-3k range.
    2) It's a fully integrated system, so you have to look deeper. Get a real Vag-Com (not a knockoff) and scan for codes. Then take canned air and blow out the contacts at the base of the stalk, and pull your hazard switch, blow those contacts, and reseat it.
    3) Monitor _everything_. As the car ages (like a fine wine), things will wear out. Keep on top of your maintenance and you'll have an absolute blast!
    4) Yep, rotors are not cheap. If you've got the time to wait, get a full front/rear set from JHM (google JH Motorsports) and have them shipped to a cryo facility. Pretty well guarantee your rotors will last 50k miles unless you ride them brakes like granny. Also, check your choice of pads - EBC redstuff (or is it yellowstuff) have a history of gouging rotors and having themal failure issues. I found best bang for my buck to be Hawk Performance Ceramic (HPC) - last time I looked on Amazon a full set front/rear pads ran about $325.
    5) Local wheel shop should be able to rehab same- or next-day. In the meantime, as others said, watch this and other forums, there's usually someone selling at least a single if not a set. Personally, I got a second set of wheels, had them refinished in Lava Grey (almost black), and mounted winter tires, which will be going back on probably next weekend.
    6) Like I said before, the replacement you'd want is the RNS-E. I have a contact for the full kit, guaranteed to work, pretty sure he doesn't want his prices advertised but PM me if you're interested. It's not _that_ much more than piecing together parts.
    7) Welcome to the club. Call up your local stealership once you've got your butthole nice and lubed up. Ask for the part numbers for any part they quote you, and see if you can get it from genuine audi parts - publicly available stealership catalog parts at a couple percent above cost, plus shipping.
    8) See #7
    9) Mods - yes. Easy - some of them are. Money is an issue. Since it's such a low-production-numbers car, pretty much everything is expensive. Cheapest performance mods are the Sportec vent mod (if you still have an under-engine air shield), followed by the 10secS4 tune, and Hotchkis Sway bars (~$450 on tirerack last I looked). Modernize your lighting with LED tail lights (anything that fits an A6/S6 will work), 10* Type 74 Red LED's in the high-mount brake light, etc... I've been trying to work up a list of all the LED lights you'd need to do everything, but I keep running across new and strange places that odd-sized lights are mounted.
    10) Other than the main list here, the only "registry" that I know of is with Audi Flagship Desk. Basically a concierge service run by Audi of America for R8 and A8L owners, but they still happily accept RS6 credentials. If an Audi dealership ever gives you a hard time about anything, these are the people to call. They will get you some sort of resolution.

Wow, another wall of text out of me, and I'm not exactly a wordy guy.

Closing statement - this forum is the best I've ever been to. The people here are very helpful, always willing to share knowledge, and usually if someone doesn't have an immediate answer, they have some vague remembrance of seeing a posting from a couple years ago that'd point you in the right direction.

Welcome! I hope sometime we can meet up and cruise, or maybe hit a C&C on a Saturday morning. Up here in the DC area we've got Katie's Cars & Coffee, a weekly meet that happens in Great Falls, where exotics come out to show and shine. I head down to the C-ville area about once a year and haven't been for almost 2 years now, will definitely hit you up if I plan to head down for a weekend retreat sometime early next year.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Hi Chris
    Welcome! I hope sometime we can meet up and cruise, or maybe hit a C&C on a Saturday morning. Up here in the DC area we've got Katie's Cars & Coffee, a weekly meet that happens in Great Falls, where exotics come out to show and shine. I head down to the C-ville area about once a year and haven't been for almost 2 years now, will definitely hit you up if I plan to head down for a weekend retreat sometime early next year.

O_E
    Please do!

-Chris