Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey; When did your cam adjuster/tensioner(s) fail?

Mech Survey; When did your cam adjuster/tensioner(s) fail?

Just wanting to log this as it seems to be up there in the costly repair category, and a buyer should be aware this will happen around/after 100k.

Rough idle and flashing CEL on startup; upon scan the driver engine bank 5, 6, 7, 8 was mis-firing. Upon scanning measuring blocks (70 & 72?), the cam adjuster on driver side was reading -7 (not working), while the other reading 16 (working).

So mine went, plastic roller for chain completely shattered on drivers side, at 98k. So far no other damage that we know of, and will also be replacing passenger side (which is a pain).

Here's my updated list, will keep adding to it. Who else has changed this lovely $650-850 part, times two?

Hey, if every part on this car lasted 100k miles I'd be happy!

MaxRS6
    Cam adjuster went out at 95K.

lswing
    Drivers side cam adjuster disintegrated at 98k, passenger worn but replaced also.

fbatwork
    Replaced at 65k, mostly worn, 25% left on plastic guides.

Last edited by lswing; September 29th, 2014 at 20:04.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Well I'm at 120k and they're still holding up. Fingers crossed for another long while!
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    Well I'm at 120k and they're still holding up. Fingers crossed for another long while!
    Hope so. Figure oil quality and driving temp play into the degradation of the plastic rollers. I'd replace next time you need to open things up. As far as I know my passenger side one is fine. I'll be cleaning it up once removed, and looking closely for hairline fractures starting, will post high res photos.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

How many of you park then open your hood?

At home I pull in the climate controlled garage....open the hood.....turn on the box fan that blows across the engine.

Heat soak is a killer

I'm anal like Dave. Everytime I get home the hood gets opened. All vehicles including making my girlfriend open hers too. Did I spell this right? Was my punctuation correct. Should this be caps....bold..... No issues here.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

At work...everyone asks whats wrong with my Audi. The hood is always up

:-)

Always have when driven hard/hot, maybe the Texas heat finished it off this summer. Got to figure the aging plastic plays a part...

I replaced mine at 65K - they was probably 25% left. I was going through everything and did them so that they did not fail later... They are close to a Porsche with the exception of the shoe size, which is unfortunate because the Porsche ones are half the price...

Haven't changed this part out yet on any of the trio here. 121K, 125K, 245K on each respectively. If any one of them is 'due' it's the 245K. Am goiing to be doing an EGT sensor and a couple of other odds and sods on in over the next week so I'll check things out on the two heads then.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Very interesting, good to hear some numbers. B, you mean 245km...lucky...I'll place weight on temps, I know my car has run hot with the tune. Cooking plastic....

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    B, you mean 245km...lucky.......
    242000 miles. 390000kms
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

147k miles - still the original ones, however i did change this weekend one solenoid on the driver's side . I used to leave the hood opened but it slowly killed my battery because of the alarm plus everybody wondering wtf is wrong with my car everyday .

Bigglezworth - EGT can be replaced in situ by only removing the airbox, my mechanic did it so this weekend.
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Replaced tensioner at 110,662
    -Maria
    ACNA Member
    2003 RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Ms_RS6 View Post
    Replaced tensioner at 110,662
    Thanks Maria! Now you're going to have to keep it for another 100k miles

Only one? If so drivers side?

They said my passenger one was ok, but we replaced since it was opened up. Will be interesting to inspect the part, plastic guides were worn but ok they said.

Wow. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Thanks Maria! Now you're going to have to keep it for another 100k miles

Only one? If so drivers side?

They said my passenger one was ok, but we replaced since it was opened up. Will be interesting to inspect the part, plastic guides were worn but ok they said.
    Sold her in April of this year :-(

This is what my invoice says:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	15561
    Labor was 3527.17 and parts were 157.28.
    -Maria
    ACNA Member
    2003 RS6

well...they didn't replace the camshaft adjuster, only the seals and they had to pull the engine out for that? wtf? they ripped you off or the insurance...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
    well...they didn't replace the camshaft adjuster, only the seals and they had to pull the engine out for that? wtf? they ripped you off or the insurance...
    It wouldn't surprise me to be honest. It did have extended warranty.
    -Maria
    ACNA Member
    2003 RS6