Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Survey; When did your cam adjuster/tensioner(s) fail?

I was going off this site for now...

http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?i...ent_id=1213861

Guess I need to get a copy of ETKA some how.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    I was going off this site for now...

http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?i...ent_id=1213861

Guess I need to get a copy of ETKA some how.
    Or you could ask nicely...someone might give you parts list and diagram. Let me look, ETKA wasn't wanting to work on my W7 machine.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I just wanna get ETKA for myself haha. Dont know if it'll work on windows 8?

I just wanna get ETKA for myself haha. Dont know if it'll work on windows 8?
    I can't get my older version to install on W7 for the life of me...installed it twice on XP, transferring it over to another XP machine to try another install.

For the record, have 3 XP machines, 2 W7, 1 W8, 2 Mac...product testing!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I'm in for the Windows 8 testing! haha

I'm in for the Windows 8 testing! haha
    Installed fine and even a mention of a bug fix for W8, should be good, will plugin later...

Ok, hooked up the vagcom and simply logged the start up... I'm guessing the 0.5 is my problem correct? this is block 090...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6-cam-adjusment-log_zps0a29e046.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	15996

Really dont wanna keep starting it and letting it run if so.

Here are my numbers that should be a ballpark for you. My assumption is that as the cam adjuster pad wears down, you get closer to negative numbers. The side that was reading -7 for me was completely gone and the cam chain was riding on metal, the rest of the plastic foot had shattered and was scattered about the cylinder head (I think that's correct terminology). The drivers side is much easier to open up and look at, passenger is a pain and will need to be in service position. Besides having screwed up timing and misfires you've also got those chunks of plastic floating around in your cylinder head, which I swear I could smell, extra burnt plastic smell with the exhaust.

Rough idle and flashing CEL on startup; upon scan the driver engine bank 5, 6, 7, 8 was mis-firing. Upon scanning measuring blocks (70 & 72?), the cam adjuster on driver side was reading -7 (not working), while the other reading 16 (working).

What sucks is I don't even wanna drive it to the shop down the street I have access to, but I REALLY wanna use the lift... it clears up when warm tho still. grrr what to dooo

Yea, mine was really nasty and lumpy sounding. Used my insurance and had it flatbedded to a mechanic. Free towing for a breakdown seems like a common bonus with policies.

Anyone have P/N's for the plastic guide pads? Can't get replacements thru the dealer I found out.

Some found on Ebay.....anyone?

For the piece of mind I would stay away from the Hong Kong sellers though.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Anyone have P/N's for the plastic guide pads? Can't get replacements thru the dealer I found out.

Some found on Ebay.....anyone?
    There isn't an Audi part number for just the pads. Audi wants to sell you an entire tensioner. Your only options as far as I know are ebay, Amazon, and the like.

Page 2 of this thread...

Priced everything out, still went with the Blau Kit... just the best option at this point trust wise. The included parts in the kit look good.

My car got towed for free by amex lol, she's on the lift now, start opening her up monday. Been waiting on timing tools to show up this entire time. Can't believe how slow people can be to ship stuff.

The KW values change based on whether the tensioner is in advanced/torque or retarded/power setting.

KW values do not, cannot, correlate to any specifiied tensioner piston position(s). It's based off the cam sensor reading.

The value is monitored and correlated as chain stretch to the DME. (it does on the newer cars)

Normally I'd mess with the base (cam) timing value to alter power characteristics. Just wish I knew both the internal engine clearances, and tolerance values to work within.
    Seat of the pants I'd add in more retard (which will naturally occur with wear). Opposite of what I've done to many a NA motor over the years for most people. Not much, but enough to wake up an older engine. My best result on a 944 some years ago. Owner came back wide-eyed and joyful some weeks later.

See what happens with the new cams going in.....
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

just opened up mine and replaced the half moon and tensioner seals as well as cam seals and plugs. all these were leaking as I was in there to do the timing belt. I was keen to check out the tensioner pads but I had not ordered the parts. all of them looked good, only minor wear on the driver side top pad. mine has 200k (kms) on her, I just put her back together and will do them next timing belt I think.