Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Survey; When did your cam adjuster/tensioner(s) fail?

Then the ecu that i'm driving with have the right variable cam timing tune in it and the other ecu i tested with have a wrong variable cam timing tune in it.

RS6/S8 engine, 6spd tdi 01E, EFR7163 turbos, custom built exhaust manifolds, S8 camshafts, MaxxEcu Pro, wagners ic's, bigger fuel rails, AN8 fuel line, 2xwalbro 450lph fuel pump
    and EV14 1500cc fuel injectors in my S8/RS8

The whole kit, including tool, conveniently put together by your friends at Blauparts.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GF21011-1G

Relatively cheap, remarkably so for Audi parts. With video

Thanks for providing the information on Blauparts.com kit. That is extremely useful information.

^^^ Agreed, that's seems like a good little kit with most of what you would need. The cam adjust actuators themselves seem to last a very long time. In hindsight I would have just left mine as many cars have them last 200k. It's just those plastic feet that need replacing...and the bevy of seals and such while in there.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by EINHORN View Post
    The whole kit, including tool, conveniently put together by your friends at Blauparts.

Gotta bump this thread for that! Thank you!

Looks like this is the first issue she's going to throw at me, she runs rough on start-up randomly and this morning she flashed the light at me like the OP posted.

I also have a faint oil smell in the cabin so I think it's the rear VCG/tensioner gasket that's causing it once the car is warm.

I was going to do the sparkplugs/gaskets anyway so it'll be nice to know it's all fresh in there.

Anyone got a spare set of valve covers? my buddy powdercoats and i'd like to get them done before i tear it apart. I can have mine powdercoated for the next guy if you want a set!

I also like to delete any and all emissions crap haha, we aren't tested here. Has anyone removed all the PCV crap and put in catch cans sucessfully?
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Service position. Do upper tb rollers, or at least check if wobbly. Drivers side easy access, pass side is in back and has sai piping in the way. You'll need an updated tune to clear cel if you remove emissions stuff.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I know of the SAI delete/tune but i'm more curious if all the pcv stuff can be removed as well without triggering a light, then run the hoses off the valve cover to a catch can/block the rest off?
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    You'll need an updated tune to clear cel if you remove emissions stuff.
    ...OR, simply reroute the 3/16 hose feeding the one kombi valve around to the other end of the plastic T-fitting to complete a close loop and voila - no CEL.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAI 3.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	15987
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    ...OR, simply reroute the 3/16 hose feeding the one kombi valve around to the other end of the plastic T-fitting to complete a close loop and voila - no CEL.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAI 3.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	15987
    Crap, remember that now, few years back. So I can pull sai and do this, no cel for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Crap, remember that now, few years back. So I can pull sai and do this, no cel for sure?
    Well, I've done it on two different cars now without any problem. That said, they both have an aftermarket tune, so until I do it on an OEM spec tune I guess I should bite my tongue...
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

For what it's worth, I did that on my car with the eurocharged tune and no CEL. I'm now running AMD's Stage 1 tune, still no CEL.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Yea, I assume it has nothing to do with the tune. I don't see why these tunes would have the SAI pre-coded out, you never know. I might do this next time we visit the shop, still got an leak from last time that throws CEL every few weeks. Plus less stuff under the hood is more air flow and less heat soak! Although if I stay in a warm climate I think I'll put new auxiliary radiators back in to keep engine temps down.

I installed two catch cans 3yrs or so back. Since the initial intake/Turbo track is almost like two 4cyl engines with two sides of the PCV system you really need two cans. I plumbed them into the lines that dump into the intake ducts just downstream from the MAF's. They do need to be the sealed type and not open as this being a Turbo engine you can get some pressurized flow but there are checkvalves in the system that should let reverse flow of pressurized air under boost.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

You have any pictures of that set-up? Did you remove the stock stuff as well? Thanks man.

Just plumbed them in directly off the side of each Bank in-line from the front (Plastic) pressure regulating valve to the Aluminum Intake duct just downstream from the MAF's. I used the high quality Aluminum ones from Elite engineering (about $150 each). The are two-piece and thread apart, the intake hose has some good mesh wire Brillo pad like material that lets the moisture/oil condense then slowly drip to the bottom. With an empty can most of the oil/moisture would just pass through the can so having one with a material like that is important. If you can get a plain two-piece can you could just fill it with some Brass or Stainless Brillo mesh pad material from your local hardware store.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by EINHORN View Post

For anyone interested, here are the part numbers (I recently pieced this kit together):

Valve cover gasket set (x2): 077198025A
    Tensioner gasket kit (x2): 077198217
    Cam bore plug: (x2): 078103113E
    Camshaft seal (x4): 068103085A
    Chain Tensioner Tool: VAG 3366 (found this on ebay for $5 shipped)
    Chain tensioner pads (x4): No Audi part#, check ebay or amazon, they're about $10/ea

Full view of all the PCV crap! ew!

I'm thinking valve covers to catch cans, then catch cans to intake pipes? That's it, Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    Full view of all the PCV crap! ew!

I'm thinking valve covers to catch cans, then catch cans to intake pipes? That's it, Correct?

Incorrect engine/image.