Thread: Tires and wheels

Tires and wheels

On a recently purchased 2004 RS6 - I have 255/40 ZR 18 Y XL tires which will need replacing next year.

I have a chance to purchase a set of brand new rims and tires from a 2015 S4. The wheels are 19" OEM and have 255/35 ZR 19 Continental Contisport Contact 3's on them.

Would these wheels and tires be ok to run on my RS6? Should I also be making sure the tires are Y XL?

Thank you

Bolt pattern probably the same....offset probably different.

I run S5 rims on my one ride here. You will need 10mm spacers on the front to clear the calipers along with hubcentric rings for (66mm to 57mm) to match the smaller diameter wheel hubs on the circa 2003/04 cars. You can run tires with lower load rating, but in doing so note that they will not be as protective of your rims if you impact a hole in the road with the heavier weight of our rides.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    I run S5 rims on my one ride here. You will need 10mm spacers on the front to clear the calipers along with hubcentric rings for (66mm to 57mm) to match the smaller diameter wheel hubs on the circa 2003/04 cars. You can run tires with lower load rating, but in doing so note that they will not be as protective of your rims if you impact a hole in the road with the heavier weight of our rides.
    Thanks for getting the majority of the info out there, Bigglez

Also of note, if you let your car sit for a couple days at a time, or park it in the cold after driving more than a couple miles, those lower load rating tires will be more prone to flat-spotting.

If you can get exact dimensions of those S4 rims, we'll be able to give you exactly what size of spacer you'll need to keep your current suspension geometry. Bigglez is probably dead-on at 10mm, but if the backspacing is just a little different, you may need 5-8mm, you may need 12-15mm.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)