Thread: Doing 75000 service now. Need help with crank lock tool installation.

Hybrid View

Well, I also recently learned the cost of a replacement short block and heads from my service rep at the local Audi dealer... $37000 installed. This came up in conversation about the rarity of these cars, things that happen to them, including the example of an unfortunate water related incident that actually happened to one of our members here (that I do not personally know) who happens to be somewhat local to me. Apparently his car was brought in at that dealer (Audi of Rochester Hills) or one related, and that was the approximate estimate off the top of the service guy's head.

I figure that it's cheap insurance to keep it up right.

Similarly, extending your turbo life by changing oil at 5000 instead of 10000 seems easy enough. Normally I am not a proponent of short oil changes, generally running Mobil 1 on my other cars that do not have oil life monitoring at 10000 mile intervals. My 1999 GM van passed every oil analysis with flying colors for over 200000 miles on that schedule. My 1998 Cadillac Eldorado (DD) has 246000 miles and I just follow the GM oil life program, which is dynamic between 2000 and 12000 miles depending on conditions, with mobil 1 5w40.
    Last edited by Zorb; September 29th, 2014 at 10:14.