Thread: Taking on water

Taking on water

Any suggestions about this? There is no water closer to the windshield, so I am guessing it is one of those roof "channels". I have seen a C5 A6 with a sunroof leak and it had water coming in near the overhead console.

Either way I am planning to check and clean the sunroof drains, which is easy to do with a weedwacker nylon line.

If it is one of those side channels, does anyone have a suggestion to fix/reseal it?

Yikes. Sounds like you know the sunroof drains are located in front door hing area.

Also, check the main front/windshield drain, I learned the hard way. Open hood, pop up plastic cover that's over coolant fill tank below windshield. Passenger side has big drain hole below main fuse area.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

check the sunroof on the same side as the leak
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Ok, drains good. Will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb View Post
    Ok, drains good. Will see what happens.
    Were they clogged or clear?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

They seem to be clear. I got the same amount of weedwacker line into each side (about 6-7') and didn't really notice any resistance, nor was there any residual debris stuck to the line I pulled back out.

Just hoping it's not the windshield gasket. The bozo who previously owned it installed an aftermarket radio, including a satellite XM antenna whose wire runs around said gasket.

They seem to be clear. I got the same amount of weedwacker line into each side (about 6-7') and didn't really notice any resistance, nor was there any residual debris stuck to the line I pulled back out.

Just hoping it's not the windshield gasket. The bozo who previously owned it installed an aftermarket radio, including a satellite XM antenna whose wire runs around said gasket.
    I was also going to say, has your windshield been replaced. Can't imagine the seam at the top of the car body leaking. Hopefully you can seal up around the gasket. Good luck!

I wonder sometimes about people...

BTW, it is a factory windshield.

Wow...the idiocy is strong with this one...how the f would you get that wedged through there without destroying the seal? Maybe they used super glue to hold the antenna on too, good lord...

most of the stereo install is actually done very well. The backup camera looks like it came from the factory, the wiring is run perfectly through light housings and existing wire passages, connections are made very nicely, an actual oil filled splice block is used to get power from the backup lights to trigger the camera, all very nicely done. The person actually installed a USB port on to the inside of the glove box for a flash drive, and it looks like it came from the factory. The satellite antenna, though, is just so stupid that I can't begin to understand it.

Next order of de-stupid-ing: remove passport from right side intercooler duct and find a new place for it.

most of the stereo install is actually done very well. The backup camera looks like it came from the factory, the wiring is run perfectly through light housings and existing wire passages, connections are made very nicely, an actual oil filled splice block is used to get power from the backup lights to trigger the camera, all very nicely done. The person actually installed a USB port on to the inside of the glove box for a flash drive, and it looks like it came from the factory. The satellite antenna, though, is just so stupid that I can't begin to understand it.

Next order of de-stupid-ing: remove passport from right side intercooler duct and find a new place for it.
    Shark fin works VERY well for GPS and Sat Shizzenite...
    Passenger footwell and might as well take out the OnStar battery pack while you are at it...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Is there a way to use the roof antenna with a non factory radio?

What about the passenger footwell? Is this where the OnStar battery is located?

Is there a way to use the roof antenna with a non factory radio?

What about the passenger footwell? Is this where the OnStar battery is located?
    I know the TCU module is down there...make sure to never let the main drain below the windshield get clogged, water drains down there, not fun. You can pop up the plastic siding along the lower door frame, the carpet pulls up to expose what's there.

There are a few who have wired to the shark fin I believe, maybe a new thread will catch attention if you don't hear much in a few days.

I have yet to find a blocked drain, even the one under the cowling. I am half tempted to grab a watering can and douse it on the outside, a different spot every few hours, until I find where the water is coming in. I used my watering can to dump about a gallon of water into the sunroof's drainage area over the course of a few minutes and drains are working normally.