Thread: Smoke from right side exhaust pipe near flex

Smoke from right side exhaust pipe near flex

Especially after any high RPM driving, I have oil smoke coming from the right side exhaust pipe near they flex coupler just behind the engine. Since it only happens after high RPM conditions (read: high oil pressure), I conclude that it must be an oil line at one of the turbochargers. This has happened several times, but the oil level has not dropped noticeably.

I seem to recall a post a while back making reference to a loose bolt for an oil line in this location and this seems strangely similar. IIRC, said post also referenced how it could be corrected without removing the engine from the car. By the responses, this seemed to be a problem familiar to several members. I am unable to find this post now, despite about 30 minutes of searching and just randomly reading posts that lookrd potentially relevant.

Check your valve cover bolts and ensure the covers are snug. Crankcase pressure can easily push oil past the valve cover gasket which leaks down the back/side of the head and on to the exhaust manifolds.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Will do and advise, though I seriously think it's more likely closer to the turbocharger area. Seems to be leaking down the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Check your valve cover bolts and ensure the covers are snug. Crankcase pressure can easily push oil past the valve cover gasket which leaks down the back/side of the head and on to the exhaust manifolds.
    Had that at one point, was easy to spot on drivers side.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Cam cover bolts were slightly loose, 9 of them, some on each side. I forgot to update this a few days ago. Waiting to see now, smoke seems to have decreased, though I still feel like I am catching a bit of it sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb View Post
    Cam cover bolts were slightly loose, 9 of them, some on each side. I forgot to update this a few days ago. Waiting to see now, smoke seems to have decreased, though I still feel like I am catching a bit of it sometimes.
    Any update on this Zorb? I am seeing some smoke out the exhaust at high RPM's as well and my oil levels seem to drop more than usual.
    Avus Silver: Viper ECU / MTM TCU / ACE TC / Rebuilt Trans/ PSS9 / AWE Uppers / Clear Corners / Carbon lip

My oil levels don't drop notably. The smoke still happens sometimes, though I feel like it may not be as much. I don't see oil on turbo parts with inspection camera, nor do I think I see burned oil residue. My cam cover bolts were not loose again when I did my spark plugs 1200 miles ago. My car is put away for winter right now and has been for a week.