Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this goodbye to the forum?

Friend of mine just bought a brand new yaris, he found a turbo kit from Garrett to take it over 200hp, as it sits now though we call it his growler when you step on the gas all it does is get loud and keeps sitting still.

Seriously though if this gets parted out can I buy the gas tank? One of my fuel pumps isn't holding a perfect seal and my mechanic thinks it may be a bad tank at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    The estimate came to $17,200!
    Never ceases to amaze me on obscene and unsensible quotes like this for what many a back yard mechanic well knows is nonsense. If you don't mind sharing, it would be nice to see just exactly what they are claiming as $ for parts, $ for labour, and of course the amount of time they are estimating it takes to replace things.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paul's med clearance-1.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	15411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paul's med clearance-2.jpg 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	15412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paul's med clearance.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	15413

Here's the gory details. Sorry for the small attachment, best I could do quickly.
    Negotiating with the shop. Hardest negotiation though is with the wife. Still begging!
    More to follow...
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Here's the gory details. Sorry for the small attachment, best I could do quickly.
    Negotiating with the shop. Hardest negotiation though is with the wife. Still begging!
    More to follow...

cant really read it, but is the total 18k

More to follow...
    Let me clarify, when I said I'd let it go I meant I wouldn't be willing to do the work myself. It's an easier decision if you can have a shop repair it in a reasonable time and make the numbers work. Like you said, convincing the boss is the challenge.

Your estimate is near identical to mine. Best of luck!

What did you end up settling for with the insurance company? This is good need to know intel for the forum...thanks.

To put some sensibility and reasonableness to what you are looking at, I can well confirm that the repair costs for what you are being quoted, vs. what it can actually be done for are drastically different. DRASTICALLY. My black beast was 'written off' in 2005 after the driver tagged a pole. Damage that could be similar in cost to what you are seeing with yours. In 2005 the repair quote/costs were large enough to write a vehicle off that was only 2 years old.... Makes no sense to me, but I'm not an insurance company. That said, it was repaired for less than a 1/3 of what the quotes were. Repairs were provided by a qualified/certified company and included many new parts. With there now being access to cars in salvage yards, the parts costs can be lowered. If you are mechanically inclined you save even more. Still amazes me these days that people that used wrenches and screwdrivers to perform a good amount of their work are billed out by companies at rates that rival professional engineers, architects, dentists, and even some lawyers. Baffles me.

Name:	photo%20(1).jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	15419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo%20(2).jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	15420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo%20(5).jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	15421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo%20(6).jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	15422

More to follow...
    In scanning through your quote, I see a number of items that simply don't play in to the equation. It's like the estimator took every single little item and then looked at what it costs to replace just that one item (book rate) irrespective of there already being a host of other parts removed as part of a separate pricing effort. Examples like the A/C hoses....$800.00 to R&R a pair of hoses??? $750.00 for the front bumper reinforcement bar? $275.00 to R&R the intercooler duct (fastens with 4 small screws...) and only $107 for the duct itself. $840 for an OEM intercooler and $240 for just the bracket?? There is indeed a number of parts to source and replace, and subject to what's available from the auto recyclers depends on how much you would need to fork out for all the parts. I guesstimate all the parts in question could be sourced for less than $4,000.00. A qualified indy shop could retrofit all of the parts in question for a nominal $2-3,000.00 IMO. I firmly believe that even if you aren't a wrencher, you could have a third party repair the damage for 30-40% of what you are being quoted. Even less if you are able to do it yourself.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; August 15th, 2014 at 03:20.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Lot's of helpful input here, fellas. Still in the process of making final decision, but heavily leaning toward either selling the car as is to the right buyer, or working it out to keep it and repair it. I don't have the skills or time to do any of the work myself. CSAA, my insurance, won't budge on their numbers. Note that the amounts I quoted above includes my $1000 deductible, so add that to their numbers. 142K miles was a big factor. Prices on the estimate are for parts from a dealer, and I know they can be sourced much cheaper. While I completely agree on the labor charges- as one who depends on Medicare for a good portion of income, believe me the similarity in reimbursements galls me- I have to depend on someone else to do the work and do it right. No way do I have the time or energy to part it out myself.
    And yes, still begging the wife!
    More to come...
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Oh sorry, went back and read that, so you got 16750 as the offer, gotch yah.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    In scanning through your quote, I see a number of items that simply don't play in to the equation. It's like the estimator took every single little item and then looked at what it costs to replace just that one item (book rate) irrespective of there already being a host of other parts removed as part of a separate pricing effort. Examples like the A/C hoses....$800.00 to R&R a pair of hoses??? $750.00 for the front bumper reinforcement bar? $275.00 to R&R the intercooler duct (fastens with 4 small screws...) and only $107 for the duct itself. $840 for an OEM intercooler and $240 for just the bracket?? There is indeed a number of parts to source and replace, and subject to what's available from the auto recyclers depends on how much you would need to fork out for all the parts. I guesstimate all the parts in question could be sourced for less than $4,000.00. A qualified indy shop could retrofit all of the parts in question for a nominal $2-3,000.00 IMO. I firmly believe that even if you aren't a wrencher, you could have a third party repair the damage for 30-40% of what you are being quoted. Even less if you are able to do it yourself.
    It's software. They just click on a picture, adjust labor amounts and the computer does the rest. They all use the exact same software.

Sourcing parts is challenging and time consuming. Cross referencing part numbers across the entire Audi line makes searching easier. If something is available direct from Audi it comes with a premium. Salvage parts are hit/miss. Ebay can be scarce and tedious but I managed to find some good deals. In my case, Shokan was invaluable but even their used parts were a bit pricey. This forum is a good source too.

Your guesstimate is in the ball park. I had right around $3600 in parts and a couple months of labor working mostly weekends. Outsourced the paint for ~$2k.

I also did a lot of maintenance while I had it apart which slowed the process.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

If you repair, I've got an intercooler, ducting, fog lights, intercooler grill from my Wag install.

Well, after a week of running numbers, looking at the prices of the current RS6s out there for sale, noting the price for those with salvage titles, and the fact that I do own all of the 142,000 miles (and good ones at that) on the beast, I'm afraid it's time to put her down. Will be some good items available from salvage but if I start stripping parts from it, my settlement cost goes down, and I don't have the time to do this in any case. Should anyone be interested, I'll try to find out where it goes for salvage. I babied this car for 10+ years and though I know it's only a piece of machinery, I've never held on to a car this long so it's a surprisingly sad moment for me. Those of you with even more miles on your cars than I can probably understand. I'll still follow you all on the forum- most amazing group of car enthusiasts with terrifically helpful information over the years, amazed at the number of posts some of you have made- and wish everyone many more years of enjoyment of this special car.

Glad to report that the car has found a new owner who knows and understands the nuances of the RS6 as well as anybody. Whether it becomes a donor or ultimately back on the road, it will soon be in good hands!

Glad to report that the car has found a new owner who knows and understands the nuances of the RS6 as well as anybody. Whether it becomes a donor or ultimately back on the road, it will soon be in good hands!
    DAVE!!!??!?!?

You got some 'x-planin' to do!!!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Who me?

You cotton pickers! I cant sneak anything under cover.

Checks in the mail and we are gonna save this car. A big thank you to Papadoc and the car will be Arizona bound later this week.

?
    Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    DAVE!!!??!?!?

You got some 'x-planin' to do!!!
    Last edited by DHall1; August 19th, 2014 at 04:59.