Thread: Has anyone completed (or even attempted) a manual transmission swap on a v10 S6 ???

Has anyone completed (or even attempted) a manual transmission swap on a v10 S6 ???

I have a 2007 S6. We are planning a bunch of work on the car. One of the things that I wondered, is a 6speed swap possible?

I did a little research, and thought that an RS4 transmission might work. But then, looking at it closer, and comparing to the S6/S8 gearbox, the front axle is too far rearward on the RS4 trans, and almost every other manual Audi offers. The S6/S8 transmission has the front axle pushed right up to the front of the gearbox. The only other manual transmission I could find with a similar layout seems to be the 6speed from the S5.

However, the bolt holes dont seem to line up with the S5 transmission, from what I can tell with pics, anyway. I am not sure if you could mount it up with an adapter plate, or if enough of the holes line up to make it work.

So, has anyone tried to convert the v10 S6, or even v10 RS6, to a manual? If so, please provide any details that you have.

Thanks!!!!

i don't think this has ever been even tried, probably simply because those gearboxes are quite brilliant compared to the RS6 C5 ones and can take a lot of torque and aggressive driving without breaking, there is guys running their C6 RS6 with close to and even over 1000NM on stock gearboxes, try putting that through a manual and see what happens.... i don't think will be too pleasant given that the car is no race/track car but a uber-fast cruiser...

again, on the S6 i don't really see the point since there is no much gain in terms of power, unless you supercharge it...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Thanks for the response mik.

Supercharging may be an option down the road, but first we are going to pull all we can out of the engine with all the usual NA tricks.

You make a good point on the power rating. I can't find any data on the S5 transmission, in terms of power handling. With an updated clutch/flywheel from JHM, it would likely be good for at least 500 lb/ft tq, but that is not much more than what the 6HP26 is rated for (approx. 445 lb/ft, and likely is capable of much more).

Considering your comments, its seems the money and time can be better spent elsewhere on the car. If we manage to blow up the transmission, then we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Does anyone know if you can have the S6 6HP26 rebuilt with the RS6 6HP26 internals (that is, the clutches, etc) while maintaining the S6 higher final drive ratio? The RS6 gearbox is apparently built to handle much more power. It also is tuned to 'blip' the throttle in between shifts, which my tuner is weary of adding to the stock S6 gearbox tune.

The S6 gearbox has a different final gear than the A6 6HP26, and the axle right up near the front. But, does anyone know if its internals have been beefed up at all, compared to the standard 6HP26? I could not find any evidence of that.

Thanks again!

if they used the same recipe as they did on the RS6 C5, then they used the same gearbox as for the S6 but with a beefier Torque Converter, i guess the clutches are the same and all the other internals...probably an email to ZF would clear it up...i have the 6hp26 on my '06 750li and it is now at 145k miles and AFAIK it has never been touched, and gear changes are super smooth and crisp compared to my RS6, a totally different and way, way improved gearbox, wish that could be mated with the C5 RS6 engine, then it would really be the perfect RS6 for me
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Great info Mik!

I think you are right, for specific details regarding the internals of each model gearbox, I am probably best to contact ZF.

Thanks again for your help.

The C6 S6 has the ZF 6HP26A Trans that can hold a lot of power. They have those in much heavier SUVs (range Rover) and more HP cars (AM DB9 6.0 V12). I wouldn't worry about putting 600hp into it.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    The C6 S6 has the ZF 6HP26A Trans that can hold a lot of power. They have those in much heavier SUVs (range Rover) and more HP cars (AM DB9 6.0 V12). I wouldn't worry about putting 600hp into it.
    Hey Tozo!

Thanks for the reply. I have decided to stick with the stock S6 6HP26. I actually PM'd you on Audiworld inquiring about rebuild options. Ill copy the message over to here. I live in Toronto Canada, but the car is currently down in Detroit getting all the performance stuff done. So, not too far away from you in Chicago.

Ill send you over all the details.

Thanks!!!

Can I ask where in Detroit you are getting the performance stuff done? I moved back about a year ago and I am trying to find the good shops.

The car is currently with JHM's tuner (CountVohn on AudiRevolution.com). I guess you could kind of call it JHM North. They take on cars on more of a project basis, or ones that are installing JHM products. It is kind of invite only, so if you are interested you'd want to join AudiRevolution and make friends. I haven't started my build thread on there yet, but I did begin an S6 v10 Info thread.

http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=2614.0

If you are looking for a good shop for regular Audi work, I am sure they can suggest someone since a lot of the guys on AR live in that area.

If you let me know your car details and goals (e.g. regular maintenance, aftermarket parts, etc) then I can probably assist you better.