Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hit a pothole @ 4mph - guess the damage

TTT, I need an update on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    TTT, I need an update on this one...
    Body shop is doing their thing. They're filing a supplemental with insurance to replace front bumper cover, the radiator support was fine. Still waiting on a final total... I'm guessing I won't see her until the 30-day mark (July 25th) or so.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Bringing the thread back from the dead. Has been over a month now (33 days by my count). She was ready Weds. or so last week, but waiting for tires to come in so the safety inspector doesn't freak out on my drag radial setup (~1mm tread).

Still don't have the truly final estimate since there's a bit more that the local shop will be claiming, and the rims have not been tested for balance/cracks.

At this point, I'm hoping they find enough problems to total it just so I can do the buyback and have the beast back in my hands with cash to spare. Who cares about a salvage title when you never plan to sell?

Stay tuned, we're close!

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

So I paid the bill and will pick up the RS6 later this morning. Nene is the winner closest without going over with a guess of $6600. Actual damages total came to $7394.96. This was at an Indy shop, so if I'd gone with a dealership I get the feeling that it would've been much more.
    O_E

Be a sport - let your girlfriend drive it home from the shop
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    Be a sport - let your girlfriend drive it home from the shop
    Funny you say that, exactly how it ended up happening. No issues :-)

O_E

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    So I paid the bill and will pick up the RS6 later this morning. Nene is the winner closest without going over with a guess of $6600. Actual damages total came to $7394.96. This was at an Indy shop, so if I'd gone with a dealership I get the feeling that it would've been much more.
    O_E
    Sooooooo.....

We may not be out of the woods yet. Skulld is back in the shop with a leaky valve cover. And I mean bad bad leaky. My theory at the moment is impact made the VC flex or possibly crack, and killed the seal with the VC Gasket. Local shop is investigating. Very much hoping this can be blamed on the pothole, as I do not have $5k to drop on replacing the gasket.

Update from VDOT - because my claim was more than $500, I have to file it with a totally different department, and the chair of the local transportation board (whose name is not public information) - this is goddamn ridiculous, not to mention they took 3 months to send me a letter saying that that was the case, when they could've said that on day one.

Maybe more to come on this, hoping we've found the last of the pothole damage because my insurance is gonna freak out when I add another $5k to the claim to replace a gasket (Step one: remove engine...)

O_E

Isn't VC gasket more like a few hundred? Drivers side much more accessible....

They just did mine when in service position, but not even sure you need that for drivers at least, passenger is another story as there is at least a coolant pipe.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Isn't VC gasket more like a few hundred? Drivers side much more accessible....

They just did mine when in service position, but not even sure you need that for drivers at least, passenger is another story as there is at least a coolant pipe.
    Passenger VC was leaking badly, driver VC had just started leaking, passenger cam plug pissing oil... Had both VC gaskets, both cam seals and plugs, and full timing belt service with thermostat and water pump, all said and done was just a hair under $4k, which given the cost of just doing TB service, I'm not displeased. Hopefully those seals will last another 10 years and I can hold the current gates TB for 35k miles (my rate of driving, about 5 years).

Next step I'm pretty sure will be needed - wires, coils and plugs. I definitely need to get a new oil drain plug and gasket, got a slow drip there (and yes, I'm monitoring oil level closely)

O_E