Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-Purchase Questions

Pre-Purchase Questions

Hey guys I'm really considering buying an RS6 but I'm very worried that the tranny will fail on me. I test drove this example with 51k miles and it shifted very well, I'm wondering if I just do a MTM TCU chip it will increase the life of the transmission?

Here is the car: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS6-Base-Sedan-4-Door/251572175006?_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107095009%26meid%3D7969738333124468623%26pid%3D100040%26prg%3D20140107095009%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D151336712686

Here was one other car that I saw with 80k miles but it had an upgraded IPT Transmission. I just don't like the fact that it has 30k more miles, here is that one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS6-Quattro-2003-AUDI-RS6-QUATTRO-NAV-ENHANCE-EXHAUST-CARBON-FIBER-RARE-ONLY-84K-MILES-/171368317523?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27e6590253&item=171368317523&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Do I go for the car with lower mileage and a later VIN or the car with the earlier VIN, more miles and the upgraded tranny? If you guys could give me any advice I would really really appreciate it!

i'd say get the one that has had the most maintenance done, meaning the one which had many parts recently replaced, such as gearbox, timing belt, brakes and so on...mileage doesn't really matter as long as it has been well maintained, my first RS6 had 72k miles when i bought it and the second one had 142k miles, trust me there is no difference regarding to how it pulls or drive...sooner or later you'll end up doing the same things, it's only a matter of time but having an upgraded gearbox is a big plus...

from the pictures both cars look great, ok, to me the black looks a bit better than the blue one , maybe because photos were taken under natural light, while the blue one has the neon light making it look like it's trying to hard to look good and too much tire shine gel used, that's my impression...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

The 75K service is very expensive if you're not doing it yourself ($4-7K, depending on the shop), so if the 80K car has had that done already, you are already saving yourself some $$$. Also, if the transmission rebuild is solid, you have no reason to be concerned about it.

On the other hand, the lower-mileage car probably has better resale value if you're not planning on keeping the car for a long time, and you probably (but not certainly) have many miles to go before the transmission needs rebuilding.

You will get opinions on both sides of this debate for sure.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Quote Originally Posted by jedy617 View Post
    I just don't like the fact that it has 30k more miles....
    As mentioned above, purchase a car (whatever car that is) that has been well maintained - and the one that has the records to back up the claims of said maintenance. Unless you are a superhero and can 'see' mileage, it's a non-player. I haven't purhased a single one of my RS6's with less than 110K. In fact my second one was purchased with 212K.... It ran stronger, was tighter, and had less maintenance issues than the others with half the mileage (had everything already replaced as part of regular maintenance)....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by vitalian View Post
    The 75K service is very expensive if you're not doing it yourself ($4-7K, depending on the shop), so if the 80K car has had that done already, you are already saving yourself some $$$. Also, if the transmission rebuild is solid, you have no reason to be concerned about it.

On the other hand, the lower-mileage car probably has better resale value if you're not planning on keeping the car for a long time, and you probably (but not certainly) have many miles to go before the transmission needs rebuilding.

You will get opinions on both sides of this debate for sure.
    Thanks guys, great to know. Wow I didn't know service would be that expensive...after the 75k mile service, when I'd the next big service and how much money is it? It sounds like I should check the blue one out, but if I chose the black one and throw the TCU on it...what are the chances of the transmission holding up fine? Thanks again!
    Last edited by jedy617; July 1st, 2014 at 17:40.

So I just checked the black one and the VIN is: 905350, is that considered to be a later vin? Are they much less prone are they to transmission failures? I don't mined the DRC failing as much obviously. Sory for so many questions, I just don't want to buy any of these cars and put 5-10k in them after a couple months of ownership since it sounds like the transmissions are fickle along with stuff like O2 sensors.

Thanks guys, great to know. Wow I didn't know service would be that expensive...after the 75k mile service, when I'd the next big service and how much money is it? It sounds like I should check the blue one out, but if I chose the black one and throw the TCU on it...what are the chances of the transmission holding up fine? Thanks again!
    You can expect the next big service in 1 day to 1 year, seriously. Chances of trans holding up are much better if not tuned, combined with driving habits. Make sure you have a good mechanic if possible, along with an extra $5k around at most times for issues. Other than that, have fun!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Go to the "sticky" thread above where Erik has collected DIY and FAQ threads -- you will find a lot of the info you are seeking there. For some idea of what the service intervals entail, look at the thread in the "sticky" that lists all of the service intervals and part numbers. You'll see how much the car needs at 75K, and then you won't be surprised at how expensive it is.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Quote Originally Posted by vitalian View Post
    Go to the "sticky" thread above where Erik has collected DIY and FAQ threads -- you will find a lot of the info you are seeking there. For some idea of what the service intervals entail, look at the thread in the "sticky" that lists all of the service intervals and part numbers. You'll see how much the car needs at 75K, and then you won't be surprised at how expensive it is.

Thanks guys I'll check out the Mugello blue and compare them

I just don't want to buy any of these cars and put 5-10k in them after a couple months of ownership...
    Sadly, this specific vehicle bodes from the age old adage, "you will need to expect to pay, if you want to play...."
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Sadly, this specific vehicle bodes from the age old adage, "you will need to expect to pay, if you want to play...."
    I mean I don't mind spending money on maintaining it, let's say 5k for 2-3 years ( I drive less than 5000 miles a year), I just want to pay to mantain it, not to rebuild a transmission...maybe the blue car with the rebuilt transmission is the way to go, but the black one just looks so perfect

Maybe the smart idea is to buy the black one with a powertrain warranty till 100k miles...anyone know how much those cost?

*shameless plug*

Mine is for sale. Its a later model with the solid tranny. 93K miles. 80K service done at 83K my 034 Motorsports (can provide receipt).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4518744224.html
    03' RS6 - Mugello Blue, Ebony Interior. 19" V710's
    Sold - 06 6SP Silver B7 S4 - APR Exh, piggies, JHM ECU, VMR V708's
    Sold - 01.5 B5 S4 6-Speed - Neuspeed Exhaust, GIAC-X ECU, Shifter, VMR V708's

On the second one the Airbag light is on for some reason. Looks clean otherwise though.
    03' RS6 - Mugello Blue, Ebony Interior. 19" V710's
    Sold - 06 6SP Silver B7 S4 - APR Exh, piggies, JHM ECU, VMR V708's
    Sold - 01.5 B5 S4 6-Speed - Neuspeed Exhaust, GIAC-X ECU, Shifter, VMR V708's

Quote Originally Posted by Dynmicracr View Post
    *shameless plug*

Mine is for sale. Its a later model with the solid tranny. 93K miles. 80K service done at 83K my 034 Motorsports (can provide receipt).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4518744224.html
    Looks great but I'm in Chicago and I'm trading my 2008 R32...unless you want that? Maybe I should keep it based on the maintenance costs...

Looks great but I'm in Chicago and I'm trading my 2008 R32...unless you want that? Maybe I should keep it based on the maintenance costs...
    Mileage is about 11-13 city, 18-22 highway, another thing to consider. Insurance wasn't too much more than a normal car. I would estimate a good half of the forum members do most of their own wrenching, or work with a friend on smaller repairs. Myself, I have friends with Audi shops, so labor and parts are honest at $75 per hour, not a dealer or other shop at $125.

I would say without question of the cars are close get the one with the upgraded trans. It should also have the upgraded torque converter. MTM tcu chips helps a bit, but a tune that puts out way more hp and tq will eat up a trans if you're heavy on the throttle doing lots of 0-100's, ahem 0-60's...

Once you drive one, if you haven't, you'll know why we deal with the quirks of this machine. It can also be solid for years, small things here and there, it's a performance car first, luxury second, or something like that.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Mileage is about 11-13 city, 18-22 highway, another thing to consider. Insurance wasn't too much more than a normal car. I would estimate a good half of the forum members do most of their own wrenching, or work with a friend on smaller repairs. Myself, I have friends with Audi shops, so labor and parts are honest at $75 per hour, not a dealer or other shop at $125.

I would say without question of the cars are close get the one with the upgraded trans. It should also have the upgraded torque converter. MTM tcu chips helps a bit, but a tune that puts out way more hp and tq will eat up a trans if you're heavy on the throttle doing lots of 0-100's, ahem 0-60's...

Once you drive one, if you haven't, you'll know why we deal with the quirks of this machine. It can also be solid for years, small things here and there, it's a performance car first, luxury second, or something like that.
    Really great info, thank you so much! I'm going to check out the blue one over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    ..... Insurance wasn't too much more than a normal car. .....
    Um, what? Seriously? With whom are you insured?

Also along the insurance lines... anyone done a Hagerty guaranteed value policy on their RS6?