Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The next RS4 engine (new rumors)

Cool The next RS4 engine (new rumors)

This is what I heard, but it goes in line with what I've heard from quattro GmbH.

RS4 - High-Rev V8, without turbos, but with Lamborghini technology and 420 hp.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

New Engines

There has been so much talk about what AUDI is going to put in their next generation cars. Recently, I have heard a high output V8 4.2 will be the standard V8 engine in most models, making around 330-340, basically the S4-S6-S8 engine. There will be a new 5.0 version, either V8 or V10, around 420hp. There is also a new 4.2T engine, RS6 based with around 500hp that will be either the new S6 or RS6. There was talk of the V10 in this type of setup, twin turbos and all making around 600hp, we will have to wait.

Noushy
    Speed, Speed, and more Spe... oops the minivan?
    2003 RS6 Mugello Blue (gone/turned in)
    2003 911tt Cobalt Blue (gone/traded in)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo Titanium Gray
    2005 Toyota Sienna (until Q7 in May 07)
    2007 M6 Saphire Black (loving it)

It makes sense since they couldn't possibly fit the RS6 type engine under the hood of the B6 car. I guess they couldn't be satisfied with the higher performing version of a car having less cylinders than the other so they must do this. The way I saw it was that they could use the 3.0 biturbo engine (or some form of it) that they sell with the SEAT Cupra GT racecar. It makes a healthy 500 hp in race trim so I assume it would make nice power even in roadcar form. I guess it wouldn't make much sense from a marketing standpoint, though.

I think it's going to be a V8 because USA will be one of the markets for it. German car manufacturers report good sales to the USA at the moment.

A new rumor:

The next RS4 is undergoing winter testing in the north of Sweden.

To all spy photographers: Get us the pictures!!!

Originally posted by Erik
    A new rumor:

The next RS4 is undergoing winter testing in the north of Sweden.

To all spy photographers: Get us the pictures!!!
    errr...Erik, That includes you, your in Sweden!! Get out there and get snapping.

The car sounds good! Hopefully audi will give us a saloon version.

Hopefully audi will give us a saloon version.
    I hope they offer both & manual vs tiptronic as well!

Finnus

2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue

Originally posted by Finnus
    I hope they offer both & manual vs tiptronic as well!

Finnus

Ha Ha very funny.

I know this may sound a little harsh, but if they only make the RS4 into a station wagon I will not even give it a second look. It's bad enough that to get an S4 I have to drive a sedan. I don't want to start a flame war with all the Avant or Sedan owners, I don't have a family or the need to haul things. I'm still in the Coupe phase of life.

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

S4 only in sedan ???

Obviously you are not keeping up with Audi, the S4 is also available as a two door, although this two door is a convertible. They may even toy with the idea of one, but doubtful since the RS cars are traditionally an avant (wagon).

This was not meant to be a slam, just a FYI, if you want a two door S4, buy the convertible this spring.

Noushy

Re: S4 only in sedan ???

Originally posted by noushy
    Obviously you are not keeping up with Audi, the S4 is also available as a two door, although this two door is a convertible. They may even toy with the idea of one, but doubtful since the RS cars are traditionally an avant (wagon).

This was not meant to be a slam, just a FYI, if you want a two door S4, buy the convertible this spring.

Noushy
    I know of the convertible, it's going to be a nice ride. I just prefer a hard shell over my head, so do the driving instuctors at track events, it's very tough to deal with a convertible and find someone that wants to be in one at speed.

Convertible and racing

Bimmerhead,
    You are right about racing, not the best way to go with a convert. I have driven in some SCCA events, so long as you have an approved roll cage, they will let you race. It just is a little more complicated. Look into it, there are some that are modular and can be taken down without much tools, so you can set it up to race when you want. Besides, maybe Audi will actually make a true coupe, since the body style is already done. Just have to make it a coupe. Or even better, offer a factory hard top.

Noushy

That would be beautiful. Thanks for the info.

There will be a sedan, especially in the U.S. since that's what they did with the RS6. C'mon you just now they'll make one.

Originally posted by CarbonFibre
    It makes sense since they couldn't possibly fit the RS6 type engine under the hood of the B6 car. I guess they couldn't be satisfied with the higher performing version of a car having less cylinders than the other so they must do this.
    Why not? Rember that the 88 M3 was sold with the 4 cyl. motor when you could buy a 6 cyl 3 series. It worked for BMW. Why not Audi. And also there will be alot of us who will miss the TT set up.

Ben

I didn't say I thought that way I am just saying they may very well not use the 3.0 biturbo for this reason. I think they should use this engine.

Originally posted by CarbonFibre
    There will be a sedan, especially in the U.S. since that's what they did with the RS6. C'mon you just now they'll make one.
    I hope they do. Because with the next M3 or M4 having a V-8 and the next C-class Merc. (C-55) from AMG having one as well, it's going to be a tight race for peoples money. I also think getting rid of the turbos is a great idea, one less thing to go wrong. I know it's an old cliche, but there's no substitute for cubic inches under the hood.

v8

This debate goes back and forth over all the forums. As far as I know, Audi has commited to the V8 setup, they seem to think that is the way to go in the US. They may actually make the car with two different setups (possibly a v6tt), especially for europe where the engine displacement plays a huge role in insurance and registration. Lets hope they do the right thing, and keep the price reasonable (say $60k).

Noushy