Thread: Headlight Error

Headlight Error

I've had the errror icon for the headlamp appear on the MFD twice since I picked up the car (1 month ago). The first time it cleared only after I shut the beast down and restarted. Tonight it cleared when the lights were shut off then turned back on. Anyone had anything similar occur?

re: Headlight Error

romac
    I have 9100 on the odo of my RS6 now and I've experienced the same phenom twice. The first time was after a car wash (odo reading at 6200) and then again one week later turning the lights on after a dinner out. The good news is, it's never happened again :bang: and I've continued to go through car wash and have dinner out . Both times the malady was corrected by turning off the lights, shutting down the engine, pulling the ignition key, and then restarting. It seems coincidental that both incidents involved not seeing the "OK" message in the MFD (something I look for after start up) to make sure I've waited long enough for the turbo's to spool up and become lubricated. I've had the service department check out the wiring and they seem to think everything is "normal". Just some further background for you.
    By the by, aren't these bi xenons amazing. I feel like I'm driving an aircraft of some type with the fantastic light output of this vehicle. IMHO, these beats my old MB and wifes current LS400 by leaps and bounds.
    FEVR

Thanks for the feedback, I'd like to avoid going to the dealer as the last time it took 5 hours to swap the stock tires with the Pilot Sport A/S (they said that they thought it was done and I had already left!!!). Will continue to go out for dinner

WRT carwash: I have been hesitant to go, whats your experience? I've had good luck in the past with a brushless place nearby, and with winter setting in I'm not inclined to do it my self.
    Comments anyone?

I see the light

With each start of the car, when you turn the headlights on, you will notice the levelling system work. It happens quite quickly.
    It could be that the process did not finish successfully in one side or the other, and by turning the lights off and on, you running it once more.

When the light error icon re-appears, hopefully it does not, pull near a wall if you can, and see what the difference is from on beam to the other.
    Good luck.

romac
    Good thought, nene, on seeing or ensuring that the levelling process completes! If it happens again, I'll use that for investigation.
    As for the wash, I use the Mobile brushless auto stations and hand wipe it down with a good cotton towel if the temp is around 32, and if not, I just let the blower do the drying (although I'll usually continue to wipe down the door jams and pillars). Here in the Chicago area, it's really the only alternative for me. I have about five good coats of Zaino on the beast and that will easily get me through until I either drive to a warmer climate (AZ in mid Feb) or we get a little better spring weather here, whichever comes first. Generally, if there's no significant snow on the roads, I'll dress the tires and clean the rims in my garage after a wash when the temps are below 32.
    FEVR

Re: I see the light

Originally posted by nene
    With each start of the car...
    That's the important bit, when starting the engine with the lights already on, they will self-test and you'dd see the shadow as the shutter drops down and lifts back up again.

It doesn't work if you turn the lights on afterwards IIRC.
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

The times that the error occured there was a distinct difference in light output between the 2 sides (as viewed from inside the car). I did not check to see if the lamp was out.

I have noticed the levelling check on occassion, but not every time I turn the lights on. Is this something that should always occur?

RE: Headlight Error

Both of my experiences were definitely evidenced by the drivers side "low beam" not being on; the high beam did work with a quick pull of the stem?
    The dealer says and my experience has been same, that the levelling adjustment should happen everytime you start the car and turn on the lights.
    FEVR

headlights

I had the same experience with my car 1 time. I turned the lights off and then back on and the problem resolved itself not to recur.

Re: headlights

Originally posted by Robert Wendel
    I had the same experience with my car 1 time. I turned the lights off and then back on and the problem resolved itself not to recur.
    Ditto.
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

This happened to me with my 03 4.2 once. The left headlight did not go on and I thought it was out. Next time I tried it it worked fine. These are gas charged bulbs and need to be lit by an igniter every time you switch them on.. sometimes it appears, the igniter may not catch so you must try again; ie turn off, turn on. Kinda like the pocket lighter that wont light the first time..

sometimes it appears, the igniter may not catch so you must try again; ie turn off, turn on.
    yep, have same experience from 5 different cars ...... off and back on and we're back in business. Problem called MES (Mysterious Electronic Shit) .......

FYI, no more problems since the original post.

all
    Like Romac, not one other false ignition since the initial post.
    gjg: Still chuckling on the MES!! Seems more and more problems can be attributed to this strange phenom!!

FEVR