Thread: Any former A6 4.2 owners here? Question for you....

Any former A6 4.2 owners here? Question for you....

How much stiffer is the RS6 suspension compared to the A6 4.2? Noise level?

The A6 4.2 seems perfect in terms of comfort and quietness. I need to take the RS6 for a test drive, but wanted to get your input.

Thanks,
    Mike
    2000 BMW 540i Owner looking to make the move to Audi

Mike,

The RS6 is noticeably stiffer than the A6 4.2. The A6 is like a Lexus compared to the RS6. The RS is going to be louder due to the exhaust and you will also hear the turbo spooling as well.
    There is no body roll in the RS and plenty in the A6 4.2...IMO it's almost apples and oranges. Kinda like your 540 Sport to a Lexus ES300 suspension.

Power, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that the RS6 is MUCH faster. The A6 4.2, truly feels like a V6 to me probably because the car is so heavy and the motor is not all that strong and AWD doesn't help it much.

Good Luck!

Great info.

Thanks,
    Mike
    2000 BMW 540i Owner looking to make the move to Audi

I went from a 540/6 to an RS6 and I shared your same concern with regard to the suspension. I thought it would be knocking fillings out of my teeth on our horrible New England roads. Well, my fears were misplaced because the RS6 handles uneven pavement with the same aplomb as the 540. My wife says that it is noisier in the passenger compartment but that might be due to the exhaust. She insists it's not just the exhaust but "noisier in general" whatever that means. While the 540 was a nice cruiser, the RS6 takes everything that the 540 brought to the table to the next level of enjoyment.
    '01.5 Stg3 S4 (Dahlback Racing software)
    '01 X5 3.0
    '04 Mini Cooper

'03 RS 6 (Avus/Silver/NAV/Rear Side Airbags) --gone but not forgotten

In terms of power, the A6 is a ~15 sec car and the RS6 is a low ~13 sec. car. BIG difference!

Can't really tell about the suspension difference, hard to describe, but don't forget the DRC. The is definitely stiffer
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Having owned a 2000 A6, 4.2 and doing a couple Audi track schools, you will be impressed with the "total" RS 6 package.
    Suspension: firm, taut, yet quite supple (my son comaping it to his 2003 M3: wow, if we'd gone through those corners in the M3 we'd have been bounced thru them like any typical race suspension)
    DRC: Great! Amazing how flat the cornering is. My 4.2 had sport suspension yet was too softly sprung and too much body roll at the track.
    Brakes: 4/2 front brakes were terrible! RS 6 brakes are awesome, yet will fade after several hard, aggressive laps.
    Noise: We don't mind the exhaust sounds, at any speed. The tires noise is transmited to the chassis depending on the road surface. This is the biggest difference in noise between the cars.
    Overall impression: Excellent. Very glad we got the car! Am really looking forward to the Audi Driving School at Laguna Seca the end of January!

Regards, Jim

!

As jimmy94507 said, the stock A6 4.2 will roll. But, there is hope, you can add a few things to really help the A6 4.2 out. You may wish to inquire at Audiworld.com , A6 board and direct the question to Brian4.2. He had the 4.2 with coilovers? or Eibachs with the Giac ECU and Tip chips, Supersprint exhaust and that car could get up and move at the track, both at Streets of Willow and THe Big track at Willow Springs. Saw it in action first hand. It sure suprised many a car during the Alfa Club Drivers School and the Road One Events. His car still rode very nice on the streets.
    Don't read anything into this, it will not on a par with the RS6, it will move closer to a S6, but it will enhance the drivers experience over the stock A6 4.2 setup.
    And jimmys car (RS6) does very well at the track. Hopefully at Laguna Seca they can let me line up behind him and shoot some video, if I can keep up, that is!!!!! If not there maybe at Pahrump.

Joe

Two other comments about the 4.2: I was very impressed with the degree of throttle steering control of the 4.2 at the track. I also had the GIAC Tip chip (thanks to Brian4.2 when he upgraded to his 2001 4.2) which made a big difference when driving aggressively.

Joe, I'm an old guy trying to learn how to drive the RS 6. You shouldn't have any trouble keeping up with me while I get accustomed to the new car at Laguna Seca. A video would be great! Will look forward to any tips you can give me. Sure hope Randy can fit this into is schedule. (That would be special for Kirsten!)

Regards, Jim

I know I'll never acheive the speeds of an RS 6 but with H&R coilovers....

...and RS 6 wheels, I at least have the handling I would think is comprable to an RS 6. I sit about a half inch lower then an RS 6 as well FYI

C5 A6 4.2
    Hella Smoked Tails
    %20 3M Tint
    OEM 18 x 8.5 ET30 Nine Spoke RS 6 Wheels w/Dunlop SP 9000 255/40/18
    H&R Coilovers
    H-Sport Sway Bars
    OEM RS 6 Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
    OEM RS 6 Enhanced Exhaust
    Complete RS 6 front end + side skirts.

Originally posted by jimmy94507
    Am really looking forward to the Audi Driving School at Laguna Seca the end of January!

Regards, Jim
    Jimmy...I'm very envious of you going to Laguna in January. Wish I could be there too. :vsad2:

Let's see some good pics of you at the track in your beast!

JP4