Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobil1 5w40

Mobil1 5w40

Does Mobil1 still make a 40 weight (i.e. for our car). It seems like they make everything but the normal synthetic in 40 weight. I'm a big Mobil1 fan and wasn't so swayed by my last change with Redline (some burned off, I never had that before).

i wasn't such a fan of Mobil1, still not a fan, but my perception has changed since i bought this second RS6 because according to the service history, only at the dealership who sold it back in 2004 until today, this particular RS6 has been kept from the very first 1000km service on Mobil1 0-40, even though we all know they should've used Castrol 5w40 505.01. Don't ask me why, but this is what the receipts tell, and the car is now at 142k miles.

Comparing to the first RS6 which was only serviced using Castrol 5w40, so the recommended one by the manufacturer, and it had 70k miles when i bought it, i noticed that the first one had a more pronounced tappet noise after being started a week or more after left parked. On some occasions one of the tappets would keep on knocking for a long while even after the engine was warmed up and at fully operating temperature.

I do not have these symptoms on this RS6 even though sits at 142k miles and has only seen Mobil1 0w40 until i got it, i am now using LM Top Tec 4100 5w40, however given the history i am considering switching to Mobil1 0w40.

I've tried the Mobil1 0w40 on the first RS6 but the car didn't like it, after less than 4k miles it became blackish, got really thin and engine seemed to be noisier.
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Many of the Mobil1 blends are not the best choice in any application. However, the 0/40 Mobil1 euro spec is a pretty good oil and I used it in my AMG for years. That said, I would never use it in the RS6 because of two reasons. Not the correct weight and BND is available to us. Oil lab reports dont lie.....take a look at some Mobil1 oil reports after use and look at the BND reports after use.

mk15, you hit the exact reason why i am a "fan" i have heard too many stories like this before from serious car guys. And i work with now a guy who used to cover a region for a certain company that produces said oil and he used to get all customer calls filtered to him and he told me that he would get weekly calls from random people calling in to compliment mobil1 for whatever reason. And he also said that a racing guy told him once that many of the race teams lie and might say they use a sponsors oil when they are really running Mobil1.

Oh and I am sure this is in some thread, how do I get BND, just call them and say I want the RS6 blend and Dhall sent me - haha.

LOL

Actually it is 100% correct. Call the company and Brian will pick up the phone. Tell him Dave Hall sent you and be ready to listen to an engineer talk to you for 25 minutes.
    That and looking at my Blackstone report and you will never use anything else. IMHO

Papadoc has 120k on his RS6 and uses the same stuff....almost exactly the same Blackstone report.

Blackstone said my 10,000 mile oil change report was "perfect"

440 821 9040 you will get Brian.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/17...alysis-Program

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    Oh and I am sure this is in some thread, how do I get BND, just call them and say I want the RS6 blend and Dhall sent me - haha.

Das report in question.

what do they send us, 10 qts? ~9 to do the job and one for on hand?

yeah, comes in 4L or 1 gallon sized container.

This is his personal blended RS6 oil. The stuff is outstanding and we are lucky to have such a rocket scientist making this stuff.

I keep 4 gallons on the shelf all the time. I also keep a gallon of Aces and 4 gallons of the trans fluid.

And the real kicker is.....the stuff costs no more than any other quality oil. The trans fluid is actually less then oem fluid.
    Last edited by DHall1; May 8th, 2014 at 19:41.

Dave you're right, Mobil1 0w40 is not the right oil for the RS6, technically speaking as per the technical sheet, i posted a few years ago a reply i got from Quattro GMBH regarding the type of oil suitable for the RS6, at least their official opinion. However, i can't ignore my personal experience i had with the two RS6's, both being maintained by Audi dealership but as you saw one using the approved Quattro GMBH oil and the other being Mobil1 0w40. In this region M1 0w40 is very popular, my '06 750il has also reached 140k miles, again has only been serviced with M1 0w40, as most of the BMW, Audi and Mercedes in this area and as you know it is a rough climate here due to the excessive heat and dust.

here is again the answer i got from Quattro GMBH:

" Dear Mr. Turcu,

thank you very much for your message. Most oil companies have been phasing out engine oil according to VW specification 50501 because of the low demand. This oil was once meant to be used in heavy duty Diesel engines but due to its outstanding shear stability under high temperature we decided to use it for the RS 6 V8 twin turbo engine. The main reason for this move was the position of the turbo chargers which are pretty far located from the engine block and therefore from the oil supplying pump. After driving under extreme conditions, e.g. with high speed or under high load for a longer period of time and very high outside temperature, the oil pressure could drop to low levels when going back to idle.
    Theoretically, engine oil to VW specification 50500 is not able to compensate the attributes of VW 50501 but the viscosity range of 0W-40 will stabilize oil pressure when the engine and turbo chargers are extremely hot. Hence, potential engine damage is not really an issue if VW 50500 is being used and there is no necessity to do drain this oil immediately.

The official substitute of VW specification 50501 is actually VW 50400, even it is mostly available in 5W-30, for example but without official endorsement MOBIL 1 ESP FORMULA 5W-30. We recommend to use VW 50400 when the next engine oil service is due (every 15000 km).

Kind Regards & Merry Christmas
    Hanns Breiter
    quattro GmbH
    Kundendienst
    quattro GmbH
    N/VQ-52
    Postfach 1144
    74148 Neckarsulm
    Telefon +49-7132-31-8547
    BIK +49-7132-31-73050
    Mobil +49-172-5929939
    Fax +49-7132-31-88777
    mailto:hanns.breiter@audi.de "
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Just talked to him played out as expected. Pretty cool guy.

This is good information, I think.

I've been using teh M1 0W-40 in my smart car at 10k intervals, as per the mfg.

It's less than $5/qt and I was actually looking for somethign other than my stash of spendy Amsoil to break in the engine I'm getting ready to fire up.

I'll run this for a while and then put the Amsoil in I suppose.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I just put BND Quantum Blue in this weekend and used Aces IV for the first time. Holy butt dyno! The car felt great.

Oh crap!

Another cheap shill...

LOL

I just put BND Quantum Blue in this weekend and used Aces IV for the first time. Holy butt dyno! The car felt great.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Oh crap!

Another cheap shill...

LOL
    As much as I like their product, with good fuel and tune it's not that much of an effect. If it helps that much, try some better fuel and a tune that dumps more in, land rocket...now does anyone want to invest in my trans fund, I promise no return
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Highly recommend a water methanol kit, or better fuel. What tune you on, or none?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Oct tune with some random custom stuff coded out.

Its really amazing that you can subjectively notice a change.

I did on the first tank all those years ago.

Funny story...i just changed trans fluid to quantium blue on #3 last week. New zf trans with 20k but the pan gasket was leaking so I decided to switch fluids. It shifts better plain and simple. Brian told me what add pack and friction modifier he used but most important was temp protection add pack. I will be darned if the damn thing shifts better. Wth

Btw OCT tune is an excellent tune