Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all you transmission guys!!!

Mech For all you transmission guys!!!

I recently posted about my CEL popping up with the TC code P0741. I am on my way to 517 Transmission tomorrow but i wanted to ask if it would be ok to just get the torque convertor done or should i just hold up to save enough to do the whole transmission rebuild. It is a significant difference in price and wanted to se what you guys thought on just getting the TC done. would 517 TC be as good as the a.c.e TC??? Need some input before i dish out the dough!!! I do have a eurocharge tune and would like something that can hold the power. Thanks....
    2003 RS6 Daytona gray, ebony interior, KW coilover suspension, Cupra Lip.

Ummm....unless you are penny wise and pound foolish....do it all. Throw in some turbo's, Wag's, and an SAI delete as long as you are there!!

Vin number and miles?

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1 View Post
    vin number and miles?
    wuapv54b93n905002 mileage is 89,000

perform fluid and filter and run it till your ready to do the whole thing
    Quote Originally Posted by RM_RS6 View Post
    wuapv54b93n905002 mileage is 89,000
    do the whole transmission. Do not pass go do not collect $200

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    perform fluid and filter and run it till your ready to do the whole thing
    do the whole transmission. Do not pass go do not collect $200
    sir, yes sir!!! lol... will keep you posted on the estimate i get. Hopefully it won't be too bad (Cost wise)!!!! although, i know that phrase doesn't exist on these cars.
    Let's play the price is right. Throw some numbers$$$ on what the cost is going to be, the person who gives the closest number without going over wins a prize!!! LoL....

I'll go with 8 grand.

We all want to save a few bucks including myself. However, you should probably do the whole thing. Within about 6 months of just doing my tc on my first rs6, I was having symptoms again.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Audis4parts down here in AZ has a complete 6sp swap for 1900. You then need SteveKen's stuff and a few other bits.

Go4it

I recently posted about my CEL popping up with the TC code P0741. I am on my way to 517 Transmission tomorrow but i wanted to ask if it would be ok to just get the torque convertor done or should i just hold up to save enough to do the whole transmission rebuild. It is a significant difference in price and wanted to se what you guys thought on just getting the TC done. would 517 TC be as good as the a.c.e TC??? Need some input before i dish out the dough!!! I do have a eurocharge tune and would like something that can hold the power. Thanks....
    I guess I have a different opinon than others here. I bought mine 300 miles after it threw P0741 for the first time. (I found RS6.com a little late) Within 2000 miles TOZO replaced the TC with a rebuilt ACE. ran about $2000 total. That was 70,000 miles ago running the Eurocharged tune the entire time. I recall asking TOZO (Gabor) at the time if I should go ahead and have the transmission beefed up and rebuilt while it was out. He said no if only having TC issues. My recollection was that he said there is so little clearance within the transmission that actually "beefing up" anything other than the TC isn't really possible. There just isn't enough room to use thicker, stronger transmission parts. If the transmission is operating flawlessly, other than the TC not locking up, and the fluid looks good, I'd stick to the TC only. Maybe TOZO will chime in with an opinion.
    Sold - 2003 RS6 Ebony Pearl on Black / Carbon Fiber / ACE Converter - Tozo installed / Eurocharged ECU / MTM TCU

Its a crap shoot.

My trans lasted 200 miles after TC replacement. Then the whole thing was done....been golden for 20k and counting.

Do you want to pay labor all over again? That is the question?? Others have just changed fluid and filter and driven thier cars for tens of thousands of miles before the trans finally went bad. Then reman the whole thing.

Its a tough call.....but RM will have lots of educated options to choose.

The transmission themselves are not inherently flawed, however it's the manner in which they are serviced. Audi's notion of lifetime fill was a retarded idea, added to the additional stress and heat created by the additional power output. I know of a few properly service 200K+ miles Rs6's on their original transmission.
    www.advancedautomotion.com

Hey Guys, I just got back from 517. I stopped there and spoke to Sam who took my car for a test drive. He said he definitely felt the trans slipping and that he doesn't recommend anything other than a full rebuild. Sam was nice enough to show me the back of the shop where all the magic happens. I saw a few RS6 transmissions ready to be worked on. Sam showed me the internals to the box. Wow, there a lot of parts involved in this. Sam stated that he fully rebuilds, reinforces and strengthens each transmission by adding additional plates that are a lot stronger than stock. He also provides the TC which is strengthened and reinforced. The new trans will safely handle 600hp if not more. After visiting the shop I felt pretty confident about getting the job done there. 4everRS was right on with the price tag of $8,000. All parts and labor included. He will be removing and putting the trans back on. I also get a 6 month guarantee on the trans. The turn around time is a full 2 weeks. I was considering doing the 6 speed swap but not sure if i want to risk such a conversion, unless someone can do it safely with out any CEL lights coming on and no problems for a lot cheaper than this. What do you guys think???

In response to your question, my two cents is that a transmission rebuild vs. a 6-speed swap is purely a matter of preference. Do you want an RS6 with a manual transmission? If so, go for it. I am probably in the minority on this forum, but I think of my RS6 as a luxury cruising sedan that I can take to the racetrack once in a while if I want to, so I actually prefer having the automatic/tiptronic transmission. (Plus, it's a really heavy car and Seattle has a lot of insanely steep hills and horrible traffic, so an automatic is just plain easier. I burned out the emergency brake on my MINI doing hill starts with some jackwagon who had never heard of "gravity" 2 inches from my rear bumper. But I digress.)

What kind of driving do you do? Is it your daily driver or your weekend warrior? Do you want a cruising sedan or a more zippy sportscar? Those are the questions I'd be asking myself regarding 6-speed versus rebuild.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

unless you really want a six speed. Just go with the 517 transmission. You are lucky to be so close

Hey Guys, I just got back from 517. I stopped there and spoke to Sam who took my car for a test drive. He said he definitely felt the trans slipping and that he doesn't recommend anything other than a full rebuild. Sam was nice enough to show me the back of the shop where all the magic happens. I saw a few RS6 transmissions ready to be worked on. Sam showed me the internals to the box. Wow, there a lot of parts involved in this. Sam stated that he fully rebuilds, reinforces and strengthens each transmission by adding additional plates that are a lot stronger than stock. He also provides the TC which is strengthened and reinforced. The new trans will safely handle 600hp if not more. After visiting the shop I felt pretty confident about getting the job done there. 4everRS was right on with the price tag of $8,000. All parts and labor included. He will be removing and putting the trans back on. I also get a 6 month guarantee on the trans. The turn around time is a full 2 weeks. I was considering doing the 6 speed swap but not sure if i want to risk such a conversion, unless someone can do it safely with out any CEL lights coming on and no problems for a lot cheaper than this. What do you guys think???

Yep....IMHO this is a gentleman's saloon (with apologies....it could be a gentlewoman's saloon as well ), not a track rice monster. Go with what suits you if you are going to keep it. Go with what sells if you aren't. Not sure what the valuation is on an RS is with a manual conversion. I would guess your buyers list gets pretty small. And you're very lucky to be close to a shop with that expertise. I'd have to add 2k to that for shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by MORS6 View Post
    I guess I have a different opinon than others here. I bought mine 300 miles after it threw P0741 for the first time. (I found RS6.com a little late) Within 2000 miles TOZO replaced the TC with a rebuilt ACE. ran about $2000 total. That was 70,000 miles ago running the Eurocharged tune the entire time. I recall asking TOZO (Gabor) at the time if I should go ahead and have the transmission beefed up and rebuilt while it was out. He said no if only having TC issues.
    My experience : TC replaced by Audi at 49k ... I now have 143k with no issues on the original tranny, and w/o having had the oil changed ...
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I would love to drive a 6 speed RS6 but I am also on the other side thinking this is a Grand Touring car, a fast one though. I do have the 517 trans that I am happy with but when you want direct power I don't think you can beat a manual. With that said I have two track cars but still wish the RS6 had the 6HP26/28 ZF rather than the crappy 5HP24. The later ZF has the extra gear, shifts better (faster), weights less, and seems to be more reliable if taken care of.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

8k and only 6 months warranty? i wouldn't pay 8k to get only a 6 months warranty, pay Audi 10k and get 2 years warranty...i am not saying that they're not good, so far they're the best, but i was under the assumption that their warranty would be at least 1 year. As for manual vs auto, it is a matter of choice, personally i wouldn't go with the manual on this car, it isn't a track car nor a very agile one, it is a fast cruiser and for that reason it needs an auto, conceptually this is what it was designed for, the chassis and weight aren't of any help on a track, it does handle well for a 2T car but still feels like a pig compared to my GTi on slow tight corners.

And another thing, if you're not going to get 600hp+ out of this car then 517 isn't really the best option money vs reliability wise, you could simply go with Tozo as it is cheaper and also proven to be reliable and strong. The feeling, as described by people who have 517, is that the box is the same as the original one, it isn't any sharper nor faster, same sluggish changes, not even close to a nowadays gearboxes from Audi, stronger will be and you need that if you're thinking big numbers out of the motor. That was another expectation i had from the so called bulletproof GB which was not met after talking with people that have installed this 517.
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast