Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For all you transmission guys!!!

I had the same thought process way back when. I bought my car specifically to do the manual swap. I then heard of 517. I did my homework and my manual swap was half the cost of what it costs for a rebuilt 517 gearbox. With the same tune, my car picked up 40-50whp on the same dyno. Think about that. The reality is: even if you have a 517 trans, SOMEDAY, it will need to be rebuilt. My 01E would NEVER need to be rebuilt...maybe a clutch, but that's pennies compared to a new gearbox. Manual transmission is a very subjective thing. If you like a stick car, once you drive a manual RS6, you'll be hooked. To be fair my manual RS6 wasn't my DD, and never intended to be. That may be a factor for you.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by RM_RS6 View Post
    Hey Guys, I just got back from 517. I stopped there and spoke to Sam who took my car for a test drive. He said he definitely felt the trans slipping and that he doesn't recommend anything other than a full rebuild. Sam was nice enough to show me the back of the shop where all the magic happens. I saw a few RS6 transmissions ready to be worked on. Sam showed me the internals to the box. Wow, there a lot of parts involved in this. Sam stated that he fully rebuilds, reinforces and strengthens each transmission by adding additional plates that are a lot stronger than stock. He also provides the TC which is strengthened and reinforced. The new trans will safely handle 600hp if not more. After visiting the shop I felt pretty confident about getting the job done there. 4everRS was right on with the price tag of $8,000. All parts and labor included. He will be removing and putting the trans back on. I also get a 6 month guarantee on the trans. The turn around time is a full 2 weeks. I was considering doing the 6 speed swap but not sure if i want to risk such a conversion, unless someone can do it safely with out any CEL lights coming on and no problems for a lot cheaper than this. What do you guys think???
    This, do it all at once. I replaced TC at 87k, year later Trans at 92k, lost $3k in labor basically. I think if anybody gets big miles off an original auto box they either aren't tuned, don't drive hard, or are very very lucky...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com