Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have You Driven Or Own A 6 Speed Conversion RS6?

Have You Driven Or Own A 6 Speed Conversion RS6?

I have a 517 built transmission/TC with MTM TCU and the car is pretty fast. Though it does shift hard and fast it just doesn't always feel as connected as a manual transmission.

I am considering going the 6 speed conversion path. It seems like there are a few people that have done the conversion then they sell their car.

I was wanting to get some real world responses by people that have 6 speed RS6s or have driven them a lot.

I want to know if you would do it again? Do you enjoy your car more with the 6 speed?

I want to hear from the ones that have been there and done that...

I know your looking for answers but i'm hoping you could help me out. I live near 517 transmission in New Jersey, Do you remember the cost to rebuild your rs6 trans from 517?? Not too sure but i think i felt my trans slipping this afternoon.. Thanks.
    2003 RS6 Daytona gray, ebony interior, KW coilover suspension, Cupra Lip.

I paid 6500 for the rebuild and sent them my core.

I own two flashed RS6's

I think my transmission slipped today

Cue Bill Murray and the groundhogs please.

i wish i had a 517 on my car, i wouldn't even consider the manual swap if i had it
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

I had my old car in the garage this past weekend. New owner installed new turbos and had an issue he wanted me to help him address. I would love to buy it back if I had the loot. Not much of a manual guy anymore...getting old and lazy I guess. But it is really fast for what it is and fun to drive....WAAAYY faster than my auto ever was...My original gearbox was sold to a member here and I delivered it to 517 for that member, as a favor. I seem to recall it was $6k-$7k for the rebuild. If you tell Sam what your expectations are, he can build it to those specs. I seem to recall him telling me that he MAKES a lot of the parts for his rebuild, because no one makes any "upgraded" parts. I personally wouldn't trust anyone else to build this transmission, if you intend to make any kind of power.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I had my old car in the garage this past weekend. New owner installed new turbos and had an issue he wanted me to help him address. I would love to buy it back if I had the loot. Not much of a manual guy anymore...getting old and lazy I guess. But it is really fast for what it is and fun to drive....WAAAYY faster than my auto ever was...My original gearbox was sold to a member here and I delivered it to 517 for that member, as a favor. I seem to recall it was $6k-$7k for the rebuild. If you tell Sam what your expectations are, he can build it to those specs. I seem to recall him telling me that he MAKES a lot of the parts for his rebuild, because no one makes any "upgraded" parts. I personally wouldn't trust anyone else to build this transmission, if you intend to make any kind of power.
    I hear you on getting older and not wanting to row the gears. I am fifty and I do like the 517. I don't have anything negative to say...in fact I am totally positive about it. I just want to have a more direct connection to my horses.

If I do go ahead with this swap, I will have a very, very fresh 517 transmission/TC/MTM TCU going on the market..

I would like to hear more input on driving a 6 speed RS6. Actually I need to drive one.

I am talking to Advanced Automotion about doing the swap.
    Last edited by Del Stator; May 7th, 2014 at 05:54.

Of the beasts I own here, I miss not having one with a stick. I prefer to have my left leg doing something. Yes the right hand can play with the tip shifting, but it's not the same. My friend as a 6sp M5 and I love how it drives. as a result. Definately the next sedan I get will have the stick (be it a modded RS, an M5/M6, or a CTS-V).
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Once you drive a manual RS6, you will want one. You won't believe the power you are missing. Aren't there a couple out your way? Maybe further North?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Once you drive a manual RS6, you will want one.
    When I drove Ricarrdos @ Raven MS, I had 4 people in the car and it pulled hard!
    I was actually concerned with hitting the rev limiter.

It felt like how a sports car SHOULD feel = very connected to the engine and road.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Yes.. I think the gearing for the 01E is wrong for the TQ of the RS6. 1st gear is all but useless. 2nd isn't much better. 3rd is stupid....10mph to 110mph...I think the TDI gearing would be MUCH better suited. If I was to do it again, I would definitely spring for the TDI box.
    2013 Audi S8

I had an auto RS6 with an APR tune or some such, it was fine. Luxurious, fast, but not quite all there when you wanted to do tight twisties. I sold it to move on to other things.

My manual RS6 is so much more connected to the road, it really transforms the car. You can more easily throttle steer the car in the corners and not worry about it shifting. And the ability to put whatever power you want into it and not worry about the transmission is nice. I think the gears are nicely matched if not a tad short, other than the tdi 6th gear which is brilliant. I love cruising at 100 at 3000rpm, and have plenty of power there to go MUCH faster if I desire. I don't really lauch much so don't worry about the short 1 and 2. All in all, I'd do a manual swap if my auto box was blown but not before. It's a nice package stock, overall slightly better with the manual. It really does change the car. If you don't want to be as engaged in your driving experience, you won't like the manual as much as the auto. It turns from a fast luxo cruiser to a sporty luxo rocket, that's the best I could come up with. ;-)
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

I am pretty sure I am doing this swap. I just need to get my ducks in a row....sell my Allroad.

There are some great mountain roads around me....no urban traffic unless I go to the Bay Area...(yuck). I want to be more engaged with my ride. As much as I like the 517 build, I am old school, hot rods need manual transmission. And this car is a hot rod!

For sale ad coming soon on my fresh 517.

I would do it again. Even if the Auto shifted faster I would still do it again. It feels so good to shift and hear the popping of the exhaust note in between. Or releasing the throttle in a lower gear and getting that gurgle. mmmmusic. Auto = easy driving. Manual = involved, engaged driving. My .02
    2004 S4 Avant - 2003 Avus Silver RS6 MT (sold)
    Public link to Onedrive.com 6MT Files
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjZTWt7Mgp7SiVfliUkt64Ao6iSE

I don't own one but have driven one. Felt like a different car. 100% way to go.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Thanks for the responses.

I am pretty sure but am a little concerned about clutch issues people seem to have. Definitely seems like a place there are compromises. Not saying that is a deal breaker but not real sure what is the best answer. Seems like a good discussion starting on another thread about clutches.

South Bend vs Spec.....is that all there is?

I am already over 700ftlbs at the engine. A chattery clutch will probably drive me crazy but if it is gone by 1500 or so miles that is not really a problem.

I am going to just get the transmission done then look into bigger this and that. After more down time for upgrades I might be getting tired of modifying and just want to drive. I want to see how it drives after the conversion. Looks like giant torque is sort of an issue with clutches.

Talk to Jason at AMD, you can probably get by with his stage 3 clutch at that power level which is very nice to drive and long lasting. If you up the power a bit, stage 4, if you want a lot of headroom, stage 5. Stage 5 is a manly clutch... not great in stop and go particularly with the LWFW.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Who's had their 6 speed swap done at a shop? And if so, which one? Does SteveKen still do them? I see a few guys on here are doing them themselves and I'm looking to see what it would cost to have it done for me. Guessing +/- $10k? I'm handy when it comes to doing some things on my car, just not sure if I'm confident enough for a job like this. I'm interested in doing the swap because I just can't see myself parting with this car, but I can say with the ability to have a 6 speed swapped in, I don't know how much longer I can go with my beast having a slush box in it. Any "while you're in there" things that should/could be done while she's opened up? Downpipes? Bigger turbos? I'm just under 95k on the clock.
    03 RS6 | CF Interior | KW V3's | 19 x 9.5 VMR 701's | 255/35-19 Continental DWS | GIAC Tune | Milltek Non-Res Exhaust - Black Tips | Stėrn Adjustible Control Arms