Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have You Driven Or Own A 6 Speed Conversion RS6?

I am working with Scotty at Advance Automotion in Corpus Christi Texas. If you buy your parts from him and have him do the swap, he makes the actual labor on the swap very doable. My regular shop, Griffin Motorwerke can't touch him on the labor cost...no where near.

He seems to be able to get the work done relatively quickly. I personally have had some pretty extended and drawn out builds before and it is refreshing when someone says, "Yeah, it will take a couple of weeks". I would be cool even with double that.

We will see how it all goes but Scotty seems solid. Not really sure about anything in your neck of the woods...but with his labor cost it even works out with the shipping to not be too bad.

I am not interested in someone learning how to do a 6MT swap with my car. I want someone who has a few under their belt.

I am very interested in bigger turbos, headers and all as well. I am going to wait until the swap is done to look into that. My car is running awesome now. I don't want to clutter up the swap with trying to get all the upgrades dialed in at the same time. I want to see how my car feels with a before and after type comparison.

I have killer torque numbers and an very flat and linear torque curve. I don't want to add bigger turbos, cams, headers and all and end up with more power but less driveability. I am looking for that sweet spot.

I am running highly custom modified OE turbos from European Performance Labs. They seem to be doing the same thing that Loba does to their turbos.

I obviously did mine myself and I spent more time because I kept changing my mind about stuff (decided at the last minute to make some catless DP's) and it didn't matter how long MY car sat on MY lift. However, figure 5-7hrs for engine removal (for 1 guy, 2 guys a little quicker if they can work together) and a little more time to get it back in, with fluid fill ups, checking everything, etc...and whatever time to actually install clutch, prep transmission, and do whatever else you want to do while it's out. (O2 sensors, new slave cylinder and hose (and bleeding it), upgrade wastegates, headers, fabricate new DP's, etc.) So say 15 hours or so for engine removal and replacement and 6-8 hours for misc work, you're at 20-25 hours or so. Some of the wiring can take some time, especially if you don't know where to look or find stuff. Multiply those hours times whatever your local shop rate is. Usually somewhere between $3000-$6000 just for labor, depending on shop rates and actual times.
    This obviously is ONLY labor. You can spend anywhere from $3000 to $6000 on parts alone.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRS6 View Post
    Who's had their 6 speed swap done at a shop? And if so, which one? Does SteveKen still do them? I see a few guys on here are doing them themselves and I'm looking to see what it would cost to have it done for me. Guessing +/- $10k? I'm handy when it comes to doing some things on my car, just not sure if I'm confident enough for a job like this. I'm interested in doing the swap because I just can't see myself parting with this car, but I can say with the ability to have a 6 speed swapped in, I don't know how much longer I can go with my beast having a slush box in it. Any "while you're in there" things that should/could be done while she's opened up? Downpipes? Bigger turbos? I'm just under 95k on the clock.
    I sent you a PM on this.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Hey come up to tahoe. I have a tdi from Scotty right here you can look at. And I need that drive before you pull that automatic
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Korben007 View Post
    Hey come up to tahoe. I have a tdi from Scotty right here you can look at. And I need that drive before you pull that automatic
    Yeah, I was hoping to get my car over there when I had to pick up my F350 from Reno...but my truck is not ready and the RS6 is already in Berkeley at Griffin. I know it's not very convenient but you are welcome to go drive it if you can get to the Bay Area.

The car is in the queue with the auto shipper. I don't know when it will be picked up though.