Thread: New member, non RS6 owner....so far

New member, non RS6 owner....so far

Hello everyone, name is Mike, and I've been shopping RS6's for a few weeks now. So a little about me, I've been driving VWs/Audis for most of drivimg career. Currently have a 01 S4 and MK6 Jetta TDI. Im a tech and my local Audi dealership (flame suit on..I now how much the stealership is loved..) prior to thati was on active duty for the Army. Wife and I just had another child and are shopping a bigger car, I voted S6 (love avants) but wife loves the RS6. And I cant really blame her. My price range is 25k +/- a few grand. From what I've seen, that seems to be a far price range for a decent RS6. Ive looked at 5 or so, so far.

I have vagcom, and have already nixed a few for torque converter codes. Been lurking around for a few weeks, and have learned what to look out for. Most ive seen have VCs that are leaking, which I gather is quite common. How can I tell if the DRC system is working correctly? Since I do bring my vagcom, any engine codes I should watch out for? One car, in particular, has O2 sensor faults, which I thought I read somewhere was very common for throwing the code, but not being bad. Is that correct?

Any pointers or even leads in the PACNW for a nice clean RS6 please let me know. Sorry for the long read, i look forward to buying my RS6 and becoming an active member of this board.

Mike

There are 3 on Seattle Craigslist right now. One of them is in Montana though but is the cheapest at $16500. Which dealer are you working at? I live down by Mt Rainier (Eatonville). We occasionally do a RS6 get together in Seattle at a German pub by REI (Feierabend). We are past due for one, we usually do a Wednesday early evening which is also the unofficial Audi club get together night. I'm also a Audi/Porsche fan. I've got a Mk1 TT as a daily driver but have a couple of Porsche's. Girlfriend has an A8 (D3 and have to do a timing belt on it in the next couple of months), daughter has a B7 A4.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I work at sunset audi and ive been all over CL. Looked at two blue ones in Bellvue last week. The leading contender is an Avus sliver located at Tillamook, Or. Complete service history, all at my dealer, 76k, but has O2 codes. So I dunno. We're in no hurry, just wanna find the right one.

Where did you ever find a white RS6? Painted or special order? I love white Audis..lol My S4 is Casa white.

-Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Welcome to the forum.

YGM

Only way I will consider an RS at this point....."when was the trans done?" and "where is the documentation?"

Mine was a special order. Supposedly one other in the U.S. on the VIN list but I've never seen it, not sure if it is the same white. Beautiful looking S4. Really, the RS6 motor is just an S4 with two more cylinders and two MAF's instead of one. The known history on the one close by would be an advantage, is it priced competitively?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I have a good relationship with my stealer but when my service contracts run out then its on my dime. No way I can pay that markup when I have the ability to fix it myself and buy parts at discount. Local dealer charges 30 percent over Audi list price. Comeon man

I just determined the dealer didnt set rear toe where I wanted after my coilover install. WTF dude......just because the sway bar mounts are in the way? they didnt touch rear toe (toe goes in when the car is lowered) You charge 3 times what the indy charges! Do the damn job you are being paid for.....my local indy just got my align business. Owner does the work with me and we go over each setting.

Quote Originally Posted by kruat View Post
    Hello everyone, name is Mike, and I've been shopping RS6's for a few weeks now. So a little about me, I've been driving VWs/Audis for most of drivimg career. Currently have a 01 S4 and MK6 Jetta TDI. Im a tech and my local Audi dealership (flame suit on..I now how much the stealership is loved..) prior to thati was on active duty for the Army. Wife and I just had another child and are shopping a bigger car, I voted S6 (love avants) but wife loves the RS6. And I cant really blame her. My price range is 25k +/- a few grand. From what I've seen, that seems to be a far price range for a decent RS6. Ive looked at 5 or so, so far.

I have vagcom, and have already nixed a few for torque converter codes. Been lurking around for a few weeks, and have learned what to look out for. Most ive seen have VCs that are leaking, which I gather is quite common. How can I tell if the DRC system is working correctly? Since I do bring my vagcom, any engine codes I should watch out for? One car, in particular, has O2 sensor faults, which I thought I read somewhere was very common for throwing the code, but not being bad. Is that correct?

Any pointers or even leads in the PACNW for a nice clean RS6 please let me know. Sorry for the long read, i look forward to buying my RS6 and becoming an active member of this board.

Mike

I am potentially putting mine up for sale.
    PM me if miles don't scare you (139k).
    Trans has been replaced. Known service history.

I know of a PNW RS6 that has the 6speed conversion already completed and it is F/S - check the classifieds here.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Welcome! As mentioned I would want replaced trans and TC, plus some of the quality upgrades like sway bars, IC's, suspension. Find a color and interior that suits you. Only pay above $20k if it's in great shape.

DRC will clunk on small bumps, becomes real wobbly and floats around 70-80+...when bad. Many ways to replace without too much cash.

O2 is bad if the code is there. Upper regulate fueling, and much harder to reach. Lower just for emissions.

Have at least $5k at all times for repairs, although sure you can do all the wrenching.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    I know of a PNW RS6 that has the 6speed conversion already completed and it is F/S - check the classifieds here.
    ya I saw that..seems great, cept this will be my wife's dd. While 6spd is in the cards, all the extra power is not..lol. 450hp is more then enough.
    And it's on the higher end of my budget.
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Welcome! As mentioned I would want replaced trans and TC, plus some of the quality upgrades like sway bars, IC's, suspension. Find a color and interior that suits you. Only pay above $20k if it's in great shape.

DRC will clunk on small bumps, becomes real wobbly and floats around 70-80+...when bad. Many ways to replace without too much cash.

O2 is bad if the code is there. Upper regulate fueling, and much harder to reach. Lower just for emissions.

Have at least $5k at all times for repairs, although sure you can do all the wrenching.
    Thanks for the info, especially on the DRC system. I wanna do a 6spd swap, so as long the slush box can last until I get the pparts together then I'm good. Already got the O1E.

Seems to be a few rs6 guys in the PacNW.
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

You buy the wrong car and you might be starting the conversion sooner than you want. Just be wary if you want your wife to have a running car, swap can take a while, and $. That said, running stock power will certainly help the life of any slush box...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com